Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 04:19:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 03:39:30 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 03:23:12 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 03:15:48 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 19, 2021, 03:07:07 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 02:59:12 PM
The education of the children, the physical and mental wellbeing of the island, the economy, employment, vulnerable groupings who need support services have all been cast aside, sacrificed - for what end I ask?
I thought it was pretty fundamental - the hospitals will not cope if we pretend covid doesn't exist and let things continue as normal. They can barely cope as it is and it's almost a year since the outbreak. I support a return to normality as soon as possible but covid deniers really need to catch themselves on

I'm not a Covid denier. I think Lockdowns cause far more harm than good.

Every winter hospitals are under pressure with seasonal flu, every winter we are happy to enjoy our freedoms and live our lives with deaths spiking and flu killing off the elderly and vulnerable so I ask why did we start caring about Covid.

We have 4k deaths from cancer every year - we know the harm the likes of fast food, smoking and alcohol have with cancer, heart disease and other health problems. Are we serious about fighting cancer or heart disease or do we just not care as much as we do about Covid? If we are then why do we only take half measures? We all know young people who died in road traffic accidents, mother and fathers who bury their children as a result on this but have we ever taken draconian measures on this?

What is so special about Covid that we take this action on this cause of death when we could do so much more for other things that kill people too.

You can choose to drink alcohol. If you drink excess amounts alcohol it will only damage your body and nobody else. If individuals (especially young people) refuse to follow lockdown rules, were masks and ignore all medical advice they can pick up covid and pass it on to an infinite amount of individuals and cause an infinite amount of deaths for innocent people.

Why should families have to bury other family members due to someone else's selfishness and disregard for human life?

But why should you have a choice to drink alcohol?

Alcoholics clog up the health system, they take up hospital beds, they take up state resources that could be going to more worthwhile causes, they contribute to violent disorders late at night.

So why do we accept alcohol and its many damaging impacts on society, the same with smoking, the same with fast food, the same with cars on the roads?

We take half measures on all these things but go draconian on Covid.

You could ask why do people have to choose to bury their loved ones because a selfish man hopped in behind a wheel after drinking a shitload of alcohol. It's very, very easy for me to show up your hypocrisies.

Do alcoholics clog up the health system? How many alcoholics are in hospital beds in NI right now?Please provide the numbers to back up this claim.

Could you also please use up to date facts. You keep claiming 3 deaths out of 46k cases of covid, but case numbers are up to 96k now so you're just pedaling misinformation

Generally there are 600-750 hospital admissions per every 100k in the north every year. So you're probably looking 13-14k alcohol related admissions to hospital every year.

Report here: http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/publications/2017-2022/2020/communities/6720.pdf

In the UK they reckon alcohol costs £3.5bn to treat in the health service every year and it's accepted.

In the 06, we have generally around 3-400 alcohol related deaths on an annual basis and yet again we accept that.

We accept all the severe negative aspects alcohol brings to society, we accept the violence, the disorder, the drain on the health system, the cost of treating it. It's acceptable.

Why do we accept that?

So you're guesssing. That's fine. If you don't know, you don't know. You can just admit it

I have given you verified facts on alcohol. As you don't like them you have chosen to ignore them as they has disproven your narrative.

So why not ban alcohol to save lives? Maybe your moral pontificating is just mere optics and very hollow.

Please stop with the misleading and misinformation. It's hypocritical of you to criticize others for it when you are guilty of it as well. You guess, reckon and generally think alot there, but I don't see any actual facts or current numbers of people in hospital at the moment being treated for alcohol related illnesses.

Its disappointing, but not surprising. Also after looking up the actual statistics for alcohol related patients in hospital (we both know you really don't care about that)  you should look up the number of people under 40 who have now died of Covid. It's not 4 anymore unfortunately.

That's pure projection.

All the figures I have stated above are verified.

As of last week we had 46k positive cases in the O6 in the u40 age group, 3 deaths. I've already posted the links to this?

A 0.008% fatality rate in the 0-19 age bracket and a 0.006% fatality rate in the 20-39 age bracket. This is established and verified by the Department of Health in the O6. So why are you disputing verified data from the department of health? Why are you slurring established data from the Department of Health as misinformation? I doubt you are man enough to address why it is in fact you who is trying to distort the truth and deny established facts.

On the 14th January, we had 3 deaths in the u40 age bracket. If you have evidence to counter than then put it forward. Otherwise we can chalk you down for more smoke and mirrors.

You said it was fine that we don't do anything on alcohol. I pointed out to you more facts, the fact that it the UK it costs the health service about £3.5bn a year to treat alcohol related issues, that fact that there is on average 13-14k alcohol related admissions in the O6 every year, the fact that we have around 300-400 alcohol related deaths every year.

And do you want to know about alcohol, a blight on society, a curse that ruins families, ruins lives, leads to violence, disorder and long running physical and mental health issues? Absolutely nothing - why because you are a callous, ponitificating and very insincere virtue signaler., a man who is overflowing with contradiction and sanctimony. Loads of verified facts there, linked to sources.

Couldn't find the figures for the numbers of patients being treated for alcohol so you go off on another of your tangents. Typical hypocritical Angelo.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 10:46:03 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 10:08:15 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 08:00:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 05:48:26 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 04:19:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 03:39:30 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 03:23:12 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 03:15:48 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 19, 2021, 03:07:07 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 02:59:12 PM
The education of the children, the physical and mental wellbeing of the island, the economy, employment, vulnerable groupings who need support services have all been cast aside, sacrificed - for what end I ask?
I thought it was pretty fundamental - the hospitals will not cope if we pretend covid doesn't exist and let things continue as normal. They can barely cope as it is and it's almost a year since the outbreak. I support a return to normality as soon as possible but covid deniers really need to catch themselves on

I'm not a Covid denier. I think Lockdowns cause far more harm than good.

Every winter hospitals are under pressure with seasonal flu, every winter we are happy to enjoy our freedoms and live our lives with deaths spiking and flu killing off the elderly and vulnerable so I ask why did we start caring about Covid.

We have 4k deaths from cancer every year - we know the harm the likes of fast food, smoking and alcohol have with cancer, heart disease and other health problems. Are we serious about fighting cancer or heart disease or do we just not care as much as we do about Covid? If we are then why do we only take half measures? We all know young people who died in road traffic accidents, mother and fathers who bury their children as a result on this but have we ever taken draconian measures on this?

What is so special about Covid that we take this action on this cause of death when we could do so much more for other things that kill people too.

You can choose to drink alcohol. If you drink excess amounts alcohol it will only damage your body and nobody else. If individuals (especially young people) refuse to follow lockdown rules, were masks and ignore all medical advice they can pick up covid and pass it on to an infinite amount of individuals and cause an infinite amount of deaths for innocent people.

Why should families have to bury other family members due to someone else's selfishness and disregard for human life?

But why should you have a choice to drink alcohol?

Alcoholics clog up the health system, they take up hospital beds, they take up state resources that could be going to more worthwhile causes, they contribute to violent disorders late at night.

So why do we accept alcohol and its many damaging impacts on society, the same with smoking, the same with fast food, the same with cars on the roads?

We take half measures on all these things but go draconian on Covid.

You could ask why do people have to choose to bury their loved ones because a selfish man hopped in behind a wheel after drinking a shitload of alcohol. It's very, very easy for me to show up your hypocrisies.

Do alcoholics clog up the health system? How many alcoholics are in hospital beds in NI right now?Please provide the numbers to back up this claim.

Could you also please use up to date facts. You keep claiming 3 deaths out of 46k cases of covid, but case numbers are up to 96k now so you're just pedaling misinformation

Generally there are 600-750 hospital admissions per every 100k in the north every year. So you're probably looking 13-14k alcohol related admissions to hospital every year.

Report here: http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/publications/2017-2022/2020/communities/6720.pdf

In the UK they reckon alcohol costs £3.5bn to treat in the health service every year and it's accepted.

In the 06, we have generally around 3-400 alcohol related deaths on an annual basis and yet again we accept that.

We accept all the severe negative aspects alcohol brings to society, we accept the violence, the disorder, the drain on the health system, the cost of treating it. It's acceptable.

Why do we accept that?

So you're guesssing. That's fine. If you don't know, you don't know. You can just admit it

I have given you verified facts on alcohol. As you don't like them you have chosen to ignore them as they has disproven your narrative.

So why not ban alcohol to save lives? Maybe your moral pontificating is just mere optics and very hollow.

Please stop with the misleading and misinformation. It's hypocritical of you to criticize others for it when you are guilty of it as well. You guess, reckon and generally think alot there, but I don't see any actual facts or current numbers of people in hospital at the moment being treated for alcohol related illnesses.

Its disappointing, but not surprising. Also after looking up the actual statistics for alcohol related patients in hospital (we both know you really don't care about that)  you should look up the number of people under 40 who have now died of Covid. It's not 4 anymore unfortunately.

That's pure projection.

All the figures I have stated above are verified.

As of last week we had 46k positive cases in the O6 in the u40 age group, 3 deaths. I've already posted the links to this?

A 0.008% fatality rate in the 0-19 age bracket and a 0.006% fatality rate in the 20-39 age bracket. This is established and verified by the Department of Health in the O6. So why are you disputing verified data from the department of health? Why are you slurring established data from the Department of Health as misinformation? I doubt you are man enough to address why it is in fact you who is trying to distort the truth and deny established facts.

On the 14th January, we had 3 deaths in the u40 age bracket. If you have evidence to counter than then put it forward. Otherwise we can chalk you down for more smoke and mirrors.

You said it was fine that we don't do anything on alcohol. I pointed out to you more facts, the fact that it the UK it costs the health service about £3.5bn a year to treat alcohol related issues, that fact that there is on average 13-14k alcohol related admissions in the O6 every year, the fact that we have around 300-400 alcohol related deaths every year.

And do you want to know about alcohol, a blight on society, a curse that ruins families, ruins lives, leads to violence, disorder and long running physical and mental health issues? Absolutely nothing - why because you are a callous, ponitificating and very insincere virtue signaler., a man who is overflowing with contradiction and sanctimony. Loads of verified facts there, linked to sources.

Couldn't find the figures for the numbers of patients being treated for alcohol do you go off on another of your tangents. Typical hypocritical Angelo.

You're a bit dim as those figures come from a report provides already to you.. it's the quote trail there so why are you continuing to dispute provided sources.

3.5bn spend by NHS in relation to alcohol incidents

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/04/staggering-cost-nhs-alcohol-abuse-report

13-14k hospital admissions every year in O6 from alcohol related incidents.

Data on alcohol admissions 14 reveals that hospital admission rates in Norrthern Ireland for alchol-related disorders rose gradually during the three- year period, 2008 - 11 (665 per 100,000), peaked in 2013-16 (728 per 100,000), before falling to 673 per 100,000 in the period 2016 – 19

Taken from report linked above. Why are you continuing to deny facts? You have the floor to show you are genuine in your virtues but all you have shown is an aversion to the the truth, faux morals and complete panic in your inability to frame an intelligent argument.

A bit like your pathetic defence of Dublin GAA, you seem to be little more than an unintelligent wum who disregards any piece of factual evidence that contradicts your unsubstantiated lies.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

dublin7

So a link to a newspaper story is your source Angelo. Did you read it this time? You've made that mistake before. Imagine linking al court case a "big pharma company" as you like to call them in attempt to discredit them only to find out they actually won the case. That must have been very embarrassing for you.

So when reading the newspaper article did it give the current number of patients being treated in 2021 for alcohol related ilness? That was the original question before you went off on your tangent as you couldn't answer the question.

I admit I don't know the figure but I would expect it to be practically zero. At the moment if you watch tv shows called "The News" you'd see hospitals are in crisis as they can't handle all the Covid patients they are expected to treat.

If we follow your stats and facts then at least we can take some comfort in the fact there's no young people in hospital as Covid is in your words little or no threat to people under 40. Your claim would be confirmed when the hospitals release the age ranges of people being treated for Covid I assume?

Rossfan

Nurse from a Cork Hospital on the News tonight talking about the trauma of treating young people unable to breathe because of this awful virus.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on January 19, 2021, 11:50:13 PM
Nurse from a Cork Hospital on the News tonight talking about the trauma of treating young people unable to breathe because of this awful virus.

Only a few of them will die though, so no problem to some people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 11:29:09 PM
So a link to a newspaper story is your source Angelo. Did you read it this time? You've made that mistake before. Imagine linking al court case a "big pharma company" as you like to call them in attempt to discredit them only to find out they actually won the case. That must have been very embarrassing for you.

So when reading the newspaper article did it give the current number of patients being treated in 2021 for alcohol related ilness? That was the original question before you went off on your tangent as you couldn't answer the question.

I admit I don't know the figure but I would expect it to be practically zero. At the moment if you watch tv shows called "The News" you'd see hospitals are in crisis as they can't handle all the Covid patients they are expected to treat.

If we follow your stats and facts then at least we can take some comfort in the fact there's no young people in hospital as Covid is in your words little or no threat to people under 40. Your claim would be confirmed when the hospitals release the age ranges of people being treated for Covid I assume?

The NHS are. Are you illiterate or did you just not read?

but while the NHS estimates that the cost of treatment runs to £3.5bn a year,

It seems once you are presented with facts that aren't to your liking you seem to do everything in your power to deny them and dismiss them. I have given you all the data you asked for on alcohol, why it is a scourge and how we only make half hearted efforts to combat it in society and huge consequences it has.

You first asked for facts and then when the facts come forward it's the same old from you - deny, deny, deny, deflect, deflect, deflect.

The exact same rationale you have used when it comes to Dublin GAA, big pharmaceuticals and Covid. You are incapable of accepting facts because it does not mesh with your elitist, entitled, right wing view of society.

We have clarified that you couldn't five a shit about the scourge of alcohol on society and the the health service. As long as you get to go down to the off license and buy your carry out then that's alright for you.

Why are you asking me for 2021 figures? I have given you facts - if you want to disprove me then you go and get the figures. Show me I'm wrong, you spout an endless amount of nonsense but you never back it up. You can sling all the mud you wish at me but I'm backed up my points with figures and sources, you just delfect consistently with unsubstantiated bullshit so you're now making the claim about 2021 - back it up.

In your state hospitals are in crisis every single winter. 600-700 on hospital trolleys waiting for beds - what's new about it? Maybe if they had done something about an understaffed, under resourced, dysfunctional two-tier health service - the level of death would be nowhere near current figures? But then again you probably vote the parties that privatised health care in the south and priced the working class out of acceptable health care.

If we follow the stats we see that this virus has a negligble impact on young people. A fatality rate of 0.0064% on young people. We know for an absolute fact that things like suicide, alcohol, drugs and road traffic accidents are a far bigger scourge and source of mortality in young people.

And when this is put to you, we can see for all your faux sanctimony and moralising. You claim people have a choice to buy alcohol, f**k anybody who dies because some drunk sits in behind the wheel of a car or attacks a person on a night out, that's perfectly acceptable to you.

It's pure hypocrisy and it's so easy to expose with you.

Milltown Row2

24 deaths yesterday, hopefully there are less today as it's getting out of hand.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on January 19, 2021, 11:50:13 PM

Do you ever post about the awful trauma of suicide victims, road traffic deaths or cancer sufferers or do you cynically use Covid as a train for your own sanctimony.

Maybe have a word with a domestic abuse victim about her trauma.

Your Gay Byrne facade would make anyone sick.

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on January 20, 2021, 09:30:39 AM

It seems once you are presented with facts that aren't to your liking you seem to do everything in your power to deny them and dismiss them. I have given you all the data you asked for on alcohol, why it is a scourge and how we only make half hearted efforts to combat it in society and huge consequences it has.

You first asked for facts and then when the facts come forward it's the same old from you - deny, deny, deny, deflect, deflect, deflect.

The exact same rationale you have used when it comes to Dublin GAA, big pharmaceuticals and Covid. You are incapable of accepting facts because it does not mesh with your elitist, entitled, right wing view of society.

We have clarified that you couldn't five a shit about the scourge of alcohol on society and the the health service. As long as you get to go down to the off license and buy your carry out then that's alright for you.

Why are you asking me for 2021 figures? I have given you facts - if you want to disprove me then you go and get the figures. Show me I'm wrong, you spout an endless amount of nonsense but you never back it up. You can sling all the mud you wish at me but I'm backed up my points with figures and sources, you just delfect consistently with unsubstantiated bullshit so you're now making the claim about 2021 - back it up.

In your state hospitals are in crisis every single winter. 600-700 on hospital trolleys waiting for beds - what's new about it? Maybe if they had done something about an understaffed, under resourced, dysfunctional two-tier health service - the level of death would be nowhere near current figures? But then again you probably vote the parties that privatised health care in the south and priced the working class out of acceptable health care.

If we follow the stats we see that this virus has a negligble impact on young people. A fatality rate of 0.0064% on young people. We know for an absolute fact that things like suicide, alcohol, drugs and road traffic accidents are a far bigger scourge and source of mortality in young people.

And when this is put to you, we can see for all your faux sanctimony and moralising. You claim people have a choice to buy alcohol, f**k anybody who dies because some drunk sits in behind the wheel of a car or attacks a person on a night out, that's perfectly acceptable to you.

Let it go Angelo. The fact you are referencing a newspaper article says everything. The figures mentioned in the study you are trying to claim as proof only go to 2019 and have no correlation or relevance to the actual numbers is hospital in the current pandemic. You can down as many different roads/tangents as you want with your waffle but for someone who boasts about the facts you're not providing any relevant ones.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 20, 2021, 09:49:58 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 20, 2021, 09:30:39 AM

Let it go Angelo. The fact you are referencing a newspaper article says everything. The figures mentioned in the study you are trying to claim as proof only go to 2019 and have no correlation or relevance to the actual numbers is hospital in the current pandemic. You can down as many different roads tangent with your waffle but for someone who boasts about the facts you're not providing any relevant ones.

Referencing a newspaper article. I'll repeat the same assertion earlier, you are either illiterate or you did not read it? Which one is it. The £3.5bn figures from the NHS from a report they commissioned, you're showing everyone here what sort of person you are - when reputable sources are put forward that corroborate points you seek to try and baselessly discredit them and deflect. That figure is a figure from an NHS report, but you want to deny that. Looks like we have our own holocaust denier on the board.

The figures I have presented showed annual figures over a number of a years with slight variations. We have all been made aware that you are a complete and utter hypocrite so spare us your sanctimonious and disingenuous comments on Covid. You don't give a toss about people's health, the health service or people dying. We see that from your views on alcohol. We can do so much more to combat alcohol but you actually don't care.

Smurfy123

Dublin I have heard nurses and doctors on tv many times before covid talking about how traumatic it is treating young patients
Why bring it up now?
Under 40s are treated in hospital many many will survive covid and a small minority won't
When you look at countries that have eliminated it nobody to blame here but the government
We have effectively been out of lockdown for about 10 weeks since March last year
You don't like posters that don't agree with you
Where was the uproar last year when we had not hospital beds?
When patients were lying on corridors?
When the waiting list is 5 years ?

Angelo

You can down as many different roads/tangents as you want with your waffle but for someone who boasts about the facts you're not providing any relevant ones.

This sort of nonsense deserves special attention. Relevant facts are there that dispute your hypocrisy.

Your original comments

I have given you the following facts, backed up by sources.

13-14k hospital admissions in the O6 every year.

A cost of £3.5bn to the NHS

300-400 alcohol related deaths in the O6 every year.

And now that you denied something, you want to ignore the relevant, substantiated and sourced facts that show you were talking out of your arse.

You don't like the truth and how is paints you as a sanctimonious liar.

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on January 20, 2021, 10:08:20 AM
You can down as many different roads/tangents as you want with your waffle but for someone who boasts about the facts you're not providing any relevant ones.

This sort of nonsense deserves special attention. Relevant facts are there that dispute your hypocrisy.

Your original comments

And now that you denied something, you want to ignore the relevant, substantiated and sourced facts that show you were talking out of your arse.

It's like dealing with a spoilt child who won't accept no for an answer. The £3.5bn you claim is the cost to the NHS was an estimate. Do you understand what estimate means? I've googled it for you:

estimate
noun [ C ]
UK  /ˈes.tɪ.mət/ US  /ˈes.tə.mət/

B2
a guess of what the size, value, amount, cost, etc. of something might be:

That was before covid. I don't know what the situation is now and clearly neither do you.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 20, 2021, 10:12:15 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 20, 2021, 10:08:20 AM

Your original comments

It's like dealing with a spoilt child who won't accept no for an answer. The £3.5bn you claim is the cost to the NHS was an estimate. Do you understand what estimate means? I've googled it for you:

estimate
noun [ C ]
UK  /ˈes.tɪ.mət/ US  /ˈes.tə.mət/

B2
a guess of what the size, value, amount, cost, etc. of something might be:

That was before covid. I don't know what the situation is now and clearly neither do you.

An estimate from the NHS. The National Health Service in a report they published on alcohol.

So you are not questioning the NHS and their reports as being what? A fabrication, a fudge? What are you saying about that NHS report. Tell us.

You seem to be continuing down the line that alcohol is no problem in society, has no impact on the health service, is not the cause of hundreds of deaths every year. Yet facts from government departments and the Health Service say absolutely the opposite. What is your agenda here?

Here's some quick information on your state.

https://alcoholireland.ie/facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/#:~:text=Alcohol%20is%20responsible%20for%2088,of%20all%20suicides%20in%20Ireland.

Alcohol is responsible for 88 deaths every month in Ireland. That's over 1,000 deaths per year.
One in four deaths of young men aged 15-39 in Ireland is due to alcohol.

Alcohol is a factor in half of all suicides in Ireland. Alcohol is also involved in over a third of cases of deliberate self-harm, peaking around weekends and public holidays.
Liver disease rates are increasing rapidly in Ireland and the greatest level of increase is among 15-to-34-year-olds, who historically had the lowest rates of liver disease.
900 people in Ireland are diagnosed with alcohol-related cancers and around 500 people die from these diseases every year; one in eight breasts cancer are alcohol related.
Drink-driving is a factor in two fifths of all deaths on Irish roads; 1 in 2 pedestrians killed on roads had consumed alcohol.

The bits in bold worry you at all? Are you going to dispuite Alochol Ireland's figures too?

Alcohol Ireland estimate over 88 alcohol related deaths every month, that's 1,056 alcohol related deaths every year. 1 in 4 deaths of 15-39s is related to alcohol. But it's a choice right? Nothing needs to be done about it right.

Sactimonious, hypocritical bullshit from you, as usual.

And then we have this gem from you

"That was before covid. I don't know what the situation is now and clearly neither do you."

So obviously nothing mattered before Covid? People can knock themselves out drinking, killing themselves and others, impacting their families and friends and those they indirectly harm, draining the health service because nothing mattered before Covid or will after Covid.

I think you proved my point there with that outlook. Alcohol doesn't matter, only Covid does. No other ill matters to you, f**k if it's cancer, alcohol, road traffic accidents etc - you only care about Covid.