The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 03, 2020, 09:01:58 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 03, 2020, 12:13:16 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 02, 2020, 09:09:08 PM
American owners? Theyre all at it,
also,
when ye get a minute check out Evertons pinned post on twitter
also
when ye get another minute do an oul search for me and tell me what ground the John Barnes and banana picture was taken at...
Highbury
Liverpool fans threw bananas at their own player at Highbury on Barnes' debut

And if you don't know that, you haven't a clue about the clubs history

Good man del. When ye get an oul pic throw her up there. The one i saw had Barnes in red whereas they always wore the away kit at Highbury....mmmm
Read john Barnes' autobiography

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2020, 03:52:38 PM
I'd say naive, poor judgement, ill-advised and incompetent more than disgrace, but I understand United feeling that way.

They may have genuinely believed Suarez's assurances, but they should have issued a statement of support for the inquiry/stance of no tolerance for racial abuse, shut everyone up and accepted the outcome.
I disagree. Liverpool were correct to back their player during the witch hunt. Suarez was punished solely on the account of a rival player, the allegation made against him was not heard by anyone else. Evra then comes out and says he admitted insulting Suarez, and saying Suarez wasn't a racist, the FA said the same.
Doesn't look like a rigorous or fair process of investigation, Liverpool probably should have taken the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

They actually did issue a statement reiterating their stance of no tolerance for racial abuse. You can read this for yourself here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16277126 , but that probably doesn't suit your agenda.

J70

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 03, 2020, 04:18:27 PM
I'd say naive, poor judgement, ill-advised and incompetent more than disgrace, but I understand United feeling that way.

They may have genuinely believed Suarez's assurances, but they should have issued a statement of support for the inquiry/stance of no tolerance for racial abuse, shut everyone up and accepted the outcome.
I disagree. Liverpool were correct to back their player during the witch hunt. Suarez was punished solely on the account of a rival player, the allegation made against him was not heard by anyone else. Evra then comes out and says he admitted insulting Suarez, and saying Suarez wasn't a racist, the FA said the same.
Doesn't look like a rigorous or fair process of investigation, Liverpool probably should have taken the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

They actually did issue a statement reiterating their stance of no tolerance for racial abuse. You can read this for yourself here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16277126 , but that probably doesn't suit your agenda.

I don't have an agenda. I don't think Suarez is racist, despite the hyperbole from many United fans. I just think he is hypercompetitive and will do whatever he thinks he needs to in the moment to gain an advantage, even if it is something he wouldn't do or think in a million years off the field. He admitted to calling Evra "negro" i.e. black, albeit in a non-aggressive or provocative way. The inquiry didn't find it credible that under the circumstances he wasn't trying to get a reaction. And whatever about the club's statement on the initial findings, once the full report came out they decided to cut their losses and not appeal.

IMO the club just handled the whole thing extremely poorly from the start. Exercise in what not to do. You are free to your opinion.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2020, 04:44:27 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 03, 2020, 04:18:27 PM

I don't have an agenda. I don't think Suarez is racist, despite the hyperbole from many United fans. I just think he is hypercompetitive and will do whatever he thinks he needs to in the moment to gain an advantage, even if it is something he wouldn't do or think in a million years off the field. He admitted to calling Evra "negro" i.e. black, albeit in a non-aggressive or provocative way. The inquiry didn't find it credible that under the circumstances he wasn't trying to get a reaction. And whatever about the club's statement on the initial findings, once the full report came out they decided to cut their losses and not appeal.

IMO the club just handled the whole thing extremely poorly from the start. Exercise in what not to do. You are free to your opinion.
I'm not surprised the club didn't appeal, such was the farce in the way that the FA charged him. One account of a rival player that wasn't heard by anyone else shouldn't have stood up in the first place, so an appeal to the FA was never going to be successful, they should have taken it to CAS instead.
The club and team were fully justified in supporting their player during this, so I'll agree to disagree on how the club handled the situation.

BennyCake

Was John Terry found guilty over the Anton Ferdinand one?

Boycey

Shooters you should apply for the job as Trumps press secretary when this current one gets the bullet. You will fit right in cause that is some version of horseshite you just spouted there....

quit yo jibbajabba

Well youre the tube that started it tbh chap ye couldve took the gesture for what it was and said nothin, but anyway..

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Boycey on June 03, 2020, 06:48:00 PM
Shooters you should apply for the job as Trumps press secretary when this current one gets the bullet. You will fit right in cause that is some version of horseshite you just spouted there....
Getting a bit touchy because the truth doesn't fit your manc agenda Boycey?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyCake on June 03, 2020, 05:45:55 PM
Was John Terry found guilty over the Anton Ferdinand one?

It went to the Crown Court, he was found not guilty.

The FA then charged him after under their lesser criteria.

Boycey

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 03, 2020, 07:57:46 PM

The only agenda I have is a Boycey one.... I don't and never have engaged in the unsavory side of football rivalry.

Boycey

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 03, 2020, 07:30:19 PM
Well youre the tube that started it tbh chap ye couldve took the gesture for what it was and said nothin, but anyway..

What gesture exactly?

Gabriel_Hurl

The gesture that started this whole conversation

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Boycey on June 03, 2020, 09:01:08 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 03, 2020, 07:57:46 PM

The only agenda I have is a Boycey one.... I don't and never have engaged in the unsavory side of football rivalry.
So you're a hypocrite now as well as being shameless, because that's exactly what you did.
You stooped so low to turn a genuine show of solidarity to the black people as a means to get a dig in at the club. Your levels of whataboutery know no bounds.

Boycey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 03, 2020, 09:16:55 PM
The gesture that started this whole conversation

Ok yeah, bit slow of me.... Anyway this is a discussion forum pretty much anything is open for debate, it's the lifeblood of a forum. I've raised my issues without insulting anybody so that'll do me...

supersub

Quote from: Boycey on June 02, 2020, 11:46:36 PM
J70 I never said you were annoyed. Read what I said again, I'm just explaining my personal views on such statements, annoyance was probably the wrong word in fairness.

It's always acceptable for Liverpool to move on, I did say that it was the reaction from gobshites that grinded with me.

Do I have to be the one that calls him out? Are the battle lines that clear?

I've just seen supersub post, am I reading it right and youre reporting something that was said?

No, incorrect, but maybe I should have. I was referring to the same wording in MR2s post which I quoted (complaining not reporting).