Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

It wasn't Wayne McCullough's flag either, Shankill road man who walked in with the tricoulour, waving it like a true republican. Barry McGuigan fought for the British Championship and ended up getting death threats from republicans!!. Too many people get hung up on flags/religion.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zip Code

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2014, 10:25:31 AM
It wasn't Wayne McCullough's flag either, Shankill road man who walked in with the tricoulour, waving it like a true republican. Barry McGuigan fought for the British Championship and ended up getting death threats from republicans!!. Too many people get hung up on flags/religion.

I'd say that figure would be 4 odd billion!

haranguerer

Quote from: Zip Code on June 23, 2014, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2014, 10:25:31 AM

I'd say that figure would be 4 odd billion!

Touche

Orior

Quote from: Minder on June 22, 2014, 09:17:02 AM
McIlroy is clear but conflict remains

The issue of McIlroy's identity had preceded the Olympic question and in the beginning we made some lazy, out-dated assumptions. Given that his parents were Catholics, though not active in the faith, and given that there was a rich GAA tradition on his mother's side and that he attended a Catholic primary school, the common belief was that McIlroy leaned towards Dublin rather than London.

Given the above, why has Rory never acknowledged that tradition? Has he ever attended a Gaa match? Why has he pumped a lot of his earnings into Ulster Rugby? Has he ever donated to St Pauls in Holywood?

To those who are thinking of typing "so what?" may I remind you that this is an open discussion board so why should I not ask these questions?

Personally, I think when you are brought up in Holywood, which treasures it's English style maypole, and cricket team, and MOD / British Armay site, and which had its Catholic Church bombed during the troubles then I have to congratulate those that keep the gaelic tradition going.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Do you harangue every catholic who doesn't have an interest in Gaelic games? And what right have you ask what he does with his money? If there was a rich pigeon-fancying tradition on his mother's side, would you think he was somehow reprehensible if he was indifferent to pigeons himself?

Personally, I think when you are brought up in Holywood, which treasures it's English style maypole, and cricket team, and MOD / British Army site, and which had its Catholic Church bombed during the troubles (what has this got to do with the GAA?) then it's a noble undertaking to keep the gaelic tradition going. Personally, I also think it's crass to imply that anybody in Holywood who is interested in a different sport has some sort of case to answer. Or is it just famous people who should look lively and get interested in gaelic games?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on June 23, 2014, 03:25:08 PM

The issue of McIlroy's identity had preceded the Olympic question and in the beginning we made some lazy, out-dated assumptions. Given that his parents were Catholics, though not active in the faith, and given that there was a rich GAA tradition on his mother's side and that he attended a Catholic primary school, the common belief was that McIlroy leaned towards Dublin rather than London.

Given the above, why has Rory never acknowledged that tradition? Has he ever attended a Gaa match? Why has he pumped a lot of his earnings into Ulster Rugby? Has he ever donated to St Pauls in Holywood?

To those who are thinking of typing "so what?" may I remind you that this is an open discussion board so why should I not ask these questions?

Personally, I think when you are brought up in Holywood, which treasures it's English style maypole, and cricket team, and MOD / British Armay site, and which had its Catholic Church bombed during the troubles then I have to congratulate those that keep the gaelic tradition going.

Surprised at this post from you Orior, I've said before, there are plenty of Westies (West Belfast) who have loads of money and don't give a stuff about Gaelic Games or anything else traditional. They are interested in lining their pockets and that's that, I hold no grudge against them for doing so
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Brick Tamlin

Its a Bit of an attack alright.
Journalists pretty much write whatever they like these days. Probably best to remember that McIlroy didn't write those words or say them himself.
Its a piece by a Journalist. As is most of the rhetoric written about him. Id doubt half the stuff written about him has any truth or meaning to it.

cockahoop

yip,sat 2 rows in front of me in croke park when down played cork in the all ireland final a couple of years back

naka

Quote from: cockahoop on June 23, 2014, 04:25:05 PM

yip,sat 2 rows in front of me in croke park when down played cork in the all ireland final a couple of years back

tut tut tut

where did he get his ticket etc etc etc

heganboy

why has Rory never acknowledged that tradition? Has he ever attended a Gaa match? Why has he pumped a lot of his earnings into Ulster Rugby? Has he ever donated to St Pauls in Holywood?

Orior- I'm not really sure that I see your point, he is a huge Ulster Rugby fan and he wants to see "his" team win. Can you tell me one piece of upside for the kid to "acknowledge the tradition", what happened when he pucked a ball at the Irish open? It makes absolutely no sense for his family and friends that still live at home. He is out, and done and living in Florida, however his family and friends live and deal with the incessant commentary (including this board) which means that he can't get a single break no matter what he does. No win situation in being a young public figure from the wee 6...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 23, 2014, 04:11:49 PM
Its a Bit of an attack alright.
Journalists pretty much write whatever they like these days. Probably best to remember that McIlroy didn't write those words or say them himself.
Its a piece by a Journalist. As is most of the rhetoric written about him. Id doubt half the stuff written about him has any truth or meaning to it.

Indeed. Because Rory McIlroy hasn't written a thesis on his national identity, David Walsh feels obliged to write one on his behalf. Classic Phil Space stuff.

Orior

Quote from: heganboy on June 23, 2014, 04:31:12 PM
why has Rory never acknowledged that tradition? Has he ever attended a Gaa match? Why has he pumped a lot of his earnings into Ulster Rugby? Has he ever donated to St Pauls in Holywood?

Orior- I'm not really sure that I see your point, he is a huge Ulster Rugby fan and he wants to see "his" team win. Can you tell me one piece of upside for the kid to "acknowledge the tradition", what happened when he pucked a ball at the Irish open? It makes absolutely no sense for his family and friends that still live at home. He is out, and done and living in Florida, however his family and friends live and deal with the incessant commentary (including this board) which means that he can't get a single break no matter what he does. No win situation in being a young public figure from the wee 6...

I will hold my hand up to you and Hardy and admit that I am a GAA bigot. However just to be clear I strongly argue that I'm not a religious bigot nor nationality bigot - just a gaelic games bigot.

My tiny mind cannot understand how someone with such a tradition on his mothers side can completely ignore the game.  That is the crux of the matter for me, and which is why I list the things in his environment which could have influenced him.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

HiMucker

Does GAA not skip a generation on your mothers side?  Or is that baldness? I cant remember

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on June 23, 2014, 04:51:25 PM
I will hold my hand up to you and Hardy and admit that I am a GAA bigot. However just to be clear I strongly argue that I'm not a religious bigot nor nationality bigot - just a gaelic games bigot.

My tiny mind cannot understand how someone with such a tradition on his mothers side can completely ignore the game.  That is the crux of the matter for me, and which is why I list the things in his environment which could have influenced him.

At the risk of doing a David Walsh and just filling in the gaps with whatever pop psychology is to hand, maybe Rory doesn't think of anything past golf. You often see reference being made to soccer players who supported team X when they were a boy yet have no problem plying for team X's greatest foe. For me, this is  because their support for team X was very shallow. To get to the level they did, they ate/drank/slept the playing of the game, and didn't have much time for anything else. And Rory McIlroy has risen very far in his chosen sport.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on June 23, 2014, 04:51:25 PM
Quote from: heganboy on June 23, 2014, 04:31:12 PM

I would be and have been at my club playing hurling football for the past 30 odd years, My parents didn't have a GAA bone in their body, and it wasn't unusual either. My kids are not interested either and like their mum turn off when I start talking about it, it happens