Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

I'm watching Rory at the tournament in Turkey, and he played the last 5 holes like a complete turkey.

You brits can have him.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AQMP

Is it now Stephen Watson's job to follow Rory McIlroy around the world??

southdown

He was brutal yesterday in Turkey!

nrico2006

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 09, 2012, 07:06:02 PM
Not too interested in the flag thing, lets face it he doesnt feel Irish, we shouldnt beg him. Aside from the flag thing I just cant take to him, and anyhow I think its a joke that golf is even in the olympics! football and tennis should be thrown out too

Is there not an argument for the majority of the Olympic events to be thrown out apart from the athletics - rowing, shooting, fencing, badminton, table tennis, boxing, walking, basketball, synchronized swimming, diving, gymnastics, swimming etc.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Franko

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2012, 10:35:56 AM
Not too interested in the flag thing, lets face it he doesnt feel Irish, we shouldnt beg him. Aside from the flag thing I just cant take to him, and anyhow I think its a joke that golf is even in the olympics! football and tennis should be thrown out too

Is there not an argument for the majority of the Olympic events to be thrown out apart from the athletics - rowing, shooting, fencing, badminton, table tennis, boxing, walking, basketball, synchronized swimming, diving, gymnastics, swimming etc.

Ermm... no??

LeoMc

Not the sports themselves, just the professional athletes.

Hound

Quote from: LeoMc on October 10, 2012, 12:42:54 PM

Not the sports themselves, just the professional athletes.
Load of nonsense saying tennis and golf shouldnt be in it because they're well paid.
Top athletes get paid millions
Even amateur boxers are now on what can only be described as professional contracts.

If you get rid of competitors who get paid for competing, you'd only be left with the very minority sports - and the only reason they wouldnt get paid is because their sport is so far down the public's interest that it can't generate any money!

Be interesting to know how many medalists from the London Olympics will earn less than $100,000 in 2012 from their sport and associated trappings. Very few I'd say. Only the odd sport that nobody watches.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on October 09, 2012, 08:28:07 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 09, 2012, 03:09:41 PM
McIlroy is a tool in my humble opinion, he has caused the flag furore for himself. Personally I don't care which team he declares for. Golf like professional tennis has no place in the Olympics.

Are you sure?
You know you are right I do, he should declare for the Brits and let someone else have the Irish Spot.

Puckoon

It's been in the pipeline and on the grapevine for some time now, but Rory is going to be a free agent regarding his sponsorship. Watch this space and expect a huge deal between him and Nike. Following in his (new) buddy Tiger's footsteps.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2012/10/30/acushnet-titleist-rory-mcilroy/1668229/

LeoMc

Quote from: Puckoon on October 31, 2012, 02:45:15 PM
It's been in the pipeline and on the grapevine for some time now, but Rory is going to be a free agent regarding his sponsorship. Watch this space and expect a huge deal between him and Nike. Following in his (new) buddy Tiger's footsteps.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2012/10/30/acushnet-titleist-rory-mcilroy/1668229/
Can't be bothered trawling back through the pages (this thread or the Ryder cup one) but someone on it suggested that was why Tiger was bigging Rory up pre-Ryder cup, paving the way for this deal.
Good call whovever.

screenexile

I think it's been the worst kept secret on the Tour that McIlroy's moving to Nike.

Serious dough fair play to him the little British bollox!

DrinkingHarp

The new $200 Million Dollar Man

Report: Rory McIlroy signs mega-deal with Nike Golf.

.By Jonathan Wall | Devil Ball Golf – Fri, Nov 2, 2012 8:28 PM EDT.. .

Two weeks after the golf world wondered aloud whether Rory McIlroy would join Nike for the upcoming season for an eye-popping $200 million-plus, it appears we have our answer, after Fox Sports' Robert Lusetich reported that the No. 1-ranked player in the world will be Swooshing with Tiger Woods in a deal that's worth "at least" $200 million.

While Nike officials wouldn't confirm the report -- and honestly, why would they at this point -- McIlroy has, according to FoxSports.com, already filmed his first Nike commercial with Woods and new signees Kyle Stanley and Nick Watney.

McIlroy now becomes Nike's highest-paid golfer and the face of the company. Sure, Tiger Woods is still the highest profile name on the staff, but at this point, Nike's clearly looking towards the future. The decision to also add Stanley and Watney to the stable -- they, like McIlroy, were also with Titleist last year -- proves the Swoosh means business.

With McIlroy leaving Titleist just a year after he made over $8 million and won his second major, there will likely be plenty of people who question the decision to walk away from what he's known for years for an incredible payday and equipment uncertainty.

But here's the deal: No one in their right mind would pass on $200 million, even if it meant switching to new clubs, balls, etc. McIlroy was always going to be the big story going into 2013 based on the way he finished the season. However, the decision to switch to Nike will no doubt put him under an even bigger microscope.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

BarryBreensBandage

I was reading the golf thread and noticed that it or this thread had no mention of Rory winning both orders of merit, and topping that off with a win in Dubai. 5 birdies in the last five holes to beat Justin Rose who had himself just scored 10 under par.
The stats and records that are being made by Rory are unbelieveable; anyone who is not into the sport, please note: this ain't gonna happen again.

And this thread will probably descend into the British/Irish stuff when the whole point will be missed again.

Here we have a fella from Co. Down who is already a legend, the golfing media love him compared to Tiger, and who is World Number 1 in a time which will go down in history as the Golden Era for Irish Golf.

Honestly, if you have Sky, and hear that McIlroy (or any other Irish Golfer for that matter) is doing well coming into a Sunday, sit down and watch. Great Stuff.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Puckoon

It's a great time to be following what ever version of Irish golf that you think he might be. His ball striking is just unreal, and his putting is in great shape. When he drained that putt on 18 to beat Justin Rose on Sunday it was great to watch.

He had this to say today about the upcoming "anchoring" ban

"Fully agree with the anchoring ban. Better image for the game of golf, skill and nerves are all part of the game. Level playing field in '16".

Might ruffle a few feathers but its nothing compared to the abuse he has gotten on this thread a few times!

Orior

Totally agree with BarryBreen.

It has been fascinating to watch his rise to stardom.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians