The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Doogie Browser

People the time has come, enough of jumping onto other peoples threads, we need one of our own.  There has to be a few more out there, you can now discuss all aspects claret and blue here.

The future is looking good we have an ambitious chairman with a reputation for philanthropy - he might even bail out spurs  :P
he has a Purple heart decorated General as his right hand man.
Our manager is probably the most coveted manager operating in the premier league, he is charismatic and speaks from the heart (a bit like Derry women after a few Guinness & blackcurrant).  Wee Martin is universally respected, even by OWC dare I say (please don't start on here) and is always great entertainment.

We finally have a squad of players who can challenge for honours and in players like Barry, Laursen, Ashley Young, Gabby & Carew a core group of players who would grace any team in the premier league.

We have great history and have won the Europan Cup more than all the London clubs put together - honestly.

Tonight marks a new shift for Villa, by wiping the floor with Ajax - although not a great side anymore - we have shown we are heading in the right direction.

Don't all rush to post at once fellow Villains (plenty of those on here).

Stalin

Wiping the floor with Ajax? Surely they would be more happy with tonight's result than the Villains.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Stalin on October 23, 2008, 11:04:39 PM
Wiping the floor with Ajax? Surely they would be more happy with tonight's result than the Villains.
its not two legs like Champs league

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

Doogie Browser

Quote from: An Fear Rua on October 24, 2008, 08:43:16 AM
Where were you when you were shit?  :P ;)

Like all supporters I follow and have followed my team through thick & thin and there have been many times it has been difficult  from relegation in 86/87 to highs such as our last major trophy - league cup in 96 at the old Wembly - where I was lucky enough to be, the only time I have ever been disillusioned was when that p***k O'Leary was in charge, the most patronising manager ever.
We weren't Fickle, we just didn't like him.

I would hardly call supporting Villa being on a bandwagon, more of a motorbike with sidecar.

But keep it up lads, glad to provoke some debate.

An Fear Rua

Now we have that out of the way (Although assume Laois Lad will ask you for some evidence later)

Villa are getting along nice and quietly, and I would credit the upturn in fortune as much to Randy as Martin. Its a great challenge to ONeill to be at a club with Villas potential. Im interested to see if he can develop a great "footballing" side, IMHO the leicester and celtic style wasnt pretty. Ashley Young looks to be in good form down the left, and its a young side. The Barry situation has more to go, I see Oneill has stripped him of the captaincy.

I did laugh at the banner on the holte end last night, The twelth man, wasnt so long ago it was more like twelve men, you cant beat an bit of optimism to get the crowds back.
Its Grim up North

lurganblue

villa were good last night alright. i dont know if thats because Ajax are no shit or not.

glad to see a villa thread on the go. although i dont think there is many of us supporters about here.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: An Fear Rua on October 24, 2008, 09:40:41 AM
Now we have that out of the way (Although assume Laois Lad will ask you for some evidence later)

Villa are getting along nice and quietly, and I would credit the upturn in fortune as much to Randy as Martin. Its a great challenge to ONeill to be at a club with Villas potential. Im interested to see if he can develop a great "footballing" side, IMHO the leicester and celtic style wasnt pretty. Ashley Young looks to be in good form down the left, and its a young side. The Barry situation has more to go, I see Oneill has stripped him of the captaincy.

I did laugh at the banner on the holte end last night, The twelth man, wasnt so long ago it was more like twelve men, you cant beat an bit of optimism to get the crowds back.

I totally agree with you about Randy (yanks have great names), he has restored so much to the club, I mentioned this on previous threads also, when he took over the previous regime of Deadly Doug had removed all references to past glories i.e. there was no mention of the 1982 European Cup winning side anywhere as it was felt it would overshadow the teams efforts, so Randy plastered the walls of the players tunnel and the training ground with images from that night in Rotterdam.  Also running along the advertising hoardings in the middle of the North Stand is Brian Moore's Famous (well to Villa fans anyway) commentary of Peter Withes great goal in the final.
O'Neill also has great influence off the pitch, it was him who decided to turf the away support out behind the goals on the North Stand as he wanted Villa to be attacking towards their own fans at all times (only a wee thing but can make a big difference).

As for our 'style' I think we were 3rd top scorers last year and also conceded over 50 goals so we are def playing with panache but I still would like to see us shore up more at the back, signings like Friedel and Cuellar should help in this regard.

maddog

As a Brummie resident have to say i would fall down on the Blue side of town, always found the Villa lot a strange bunch. Blues are more the peoples club. Not that i'd break sweat supporting them either.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: maddog on October 24, 2008, 09:58:50 AM
As a Brummie resident have to say i would fall down on the Blue side of town, always found the Villa lot a strange bunch. Blues are more the peoples club. Not that i'd break sweat supporting them either.
I have to call you to book on that one maddog, Villa fans are strange? that is a load of tosh I have spent plenty of time in Birmingham over the years and any experiences of bluenoses have been very poor, but I suppose every supporter will feel that way about their rivals and to say the Blues are the peoples club?  Do me a favour, next you will be getting Elton John to re-work Candle in the Wind for the 'peoples prin.. sorry club'

Norf Tyrone

Lads I know DB personally, and he has followed Everton for as long as I can remember.

Only joking. Is it something in the Strabane air that two of its resident posters support unfashionable (To a degree) clubs?
By the way DB, where was this thread two weeks back when Chelsea tore the Villans apart?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

youbetterbelieveit

Doogie Browser , i am another long time suffering Villian, it is good to see them getting back to where they belong, have been a supporter since about 92' when the club had a big Irish contingent through the 90's Townsend, McGrath (Fav player), Houghton, Stauton etc..

Great result last night, should have killed that game off in the first half more, badly missed Carew.