Joanna Mills misses out on an Olympic place

Started by Applesisapples, July 24, 2012, 09:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Is it any wonder Unionists try to avoid All-Ireland sporting bodies given the treatment of Joanna Mills, half a second faster than her rival, who's dad just happens to be the team doctor! it's amazing in the year that Nationalists in the North have finally begun to get a semblance of equality from our Unionist brethern, and not too long after "Ireland" embraces Liz ans Phil like long lost cousins we see an outbreak of anti nordie feeling from the South...and from those who think Daley Thompson's remarks were racist too...Pot, kettle, black (no pun intended).

Tubberman

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 24, 2012, 09:30:49 AM
Is it any wonder Unionists try to avoid All-Ireland sporting bodies given the treatment of Joanna Mills, half a second faster than her rival, who's dad just happens to be the team doctor! it's amazing in the year that Nationalists in the North have finally begun to get a semblance of equality from our Unionist brethern, and not too long after "Ireland" embraces Liz ans Phil like long lost cousins we see an outbreak of anti nordie feeling from the South...and from those who think Daley Thompson's remarks were racist too...Pot, kettle, black (no pun intended).

That's the only possible explanation is it? Sectarianism!? Clown.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Applesisapples

Quote from: Tubberman on July 24, 2012, 09:36:17 AM
Is it any wonder Unionists try to avoid All-Ireland sporting bodies given the treatment of Joanna Mills, half a second faster than her rival, who's dad just happens to be the team doctor! it's amazing in the year that Nationalists in the North have finally begun to get a semblance of equality from our Unionist brethren, and not too long after "Ireland" embraces Liz ans Phil like long lost cousins we see an outbreak of anti nordie feeling from the South...and from those who think Daley Thompson's remarks were racist too...Pot, kettle, black (no pun intended).

That's the only possible explanation is it? Sectarianism!? Clown.
No not sectarianism but more nepotism and favouritism, and I obviously touch a nerve as you have resorted to abuse...how would explain a slower runner being selected, along with her sister to boot.

Applesisapples

Whilst some of my original post was meant to be provocative, two things have emerged that do athletics no favours. Firstly the perception in Unionist quarters (and the suspicion in nationalist ones) is that the selection was based on where the two were from, north vs south. Secondly the whole saga has portrayed Athletics Ireland in a very bad light. Even if it was only the case of Daddy's girls being on the plane it is still a mess.

AQMP

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 24, 2012, 10:01:59 AM
Whilst some of my original post was meant to be provocative, two things have emerged that do athletics no favours. Firstly the perception in Unionist quarters (and the suspicion in nationalist ones) is that the selection was based on where the two were from, north vs south. Secondly the whole saga has portrayed Athletics Ireland in a very bad light. Even if it was only the case of Daddy's girls being on the plane it is still a mess.

Frankly there's absolutely no evidence that this is an issue.  There are plenty of Northern athletes who have represented Ireland in the past and there'll be plenty more in the future.  Off the top of my head the two triathlon participants are both from the north as are two of the boxers at least one the cyclists etc.  I would agree that the whole selection process has been a shambles but as TYP pointed out GB left out the world ranked no 1 in some form of taekwando.  Cuddihy was originally selected and Mills appealed that decision and now Cuddihy has had her appeal upheld.  FWIW, Mills should be there as she's clearly the better athlete and better looking, but this the the Olympics...

Gazzler

Seriously? Who gives a flying fcuk...
And there is already a thread on the Olympics here could it not have gone in there?
Why do some posters have to start a new thread for every thought that comes into their heads.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Gazzler on July 24, 2012, 10:45:23 AM
Seriously? Who gives a flying fcuk...
And there is already a thread on the Olympics here could it not have gone in there?
Why do some posters have to start a new thread for every thought that comes into their heads.
For the same reason some w**ker would post on a thread in which he has no interest! :D

Maguire01

This is a very confused and confusing post. On one hand, you're suggesting it's nepotism, yet you also appear to be implying it's sectarian. Which is it? Because each one is a totally different argument.

Evil Genius

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 24, 2012, 10:01:59 AM

Frankly there's absolutely no evidence that this is an issue.
I'm not convinced that Mills was overlooked solely because she is from NI. But I wouldn't be surprised if the selectors thought they would get away more easily with overlooking her because she is from NI. And if so, then the distinction won't be of any consolation to the girl herself.

Further, since the girl is very young, she might have decided just to keep her head down and wait her turn etc. but the fact that she (her Coach, actually) raised her case so publicly means he must be risking her standing with Irish Athletics administrators for the future. This suggests to me a very heightened sense of injustice on the part of Coach and Athlete.

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AMThere are plenty of Northern athletes who have represented Ireland in the past and there'll be plenty more in the future.
Yes, because their record merited their selection and their performances were hoped to benefit Ireland etc.

Or to put it another way, can you ever see any circumstances when someone might be prompted to point out that "There are plenty of Southern athletes who have represented Ireland in the past and there'll be plenty more in the future."

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AMOff the top of my head the two triathlon participants are both from the north as are two of the boxers at least one the cyclists etc.
So?

Or should we infer from that that their inclusion somehow "cancels out" her non-inclusion?  ::)

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AMI would agree that the whole selection process has been a shambles
The word "shambles" denotes incompetence, such as the selectors not appreciating her ability/availability/fitness etc.

What is being alleged here is more of a scandal i.e. the selectors knew all about her and her credentials for inclusion, but still consciously overlooked her for reasons of nepotism etc

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AM... but as TYP pointed out GB left out the world ranked no 1 in some form of taekwando.
So if another country demonstrates favouritism when selecting their team, that makes it OK for Ireland to do so, then?

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AMCuddihy was originally selected and Mills appealed that decision and now Cuddihy has had her appeal upheld.
And it seems that Mills (her Coach) may now appeal to the Court of Arbitration in Sport, the highest body, despite the Games only being 3 days away.

If nothing else, this must all be seriously unsettling for the rest of the relay team, who (presumably) have nothing to answer for in this whole hoo-haa.

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AMFWIW, Mills should be there as she's clearly the better athlete and better looking, but this the the Olympics...
Eh?

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gazzler

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 24, 2012, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: Gazzler on July 24, 2012, 10:45:23 AM

Just be thankful that there are some posters who have a thought in their heads.

Olly?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Munster Bastards  >:(
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2012, 01:43:31 PM
Is it any wonder Unionists try to avoid All-Ireland sporting bodies given the treatment of Joanna Mills, half a second faster than her rival, who's dad just happens to be the team doctor! it's amazing in the year that Nationalists in the North have finally begun to get a semblance of equality from our Unionist brethren, and not too long after "Ireland" embraces Liz ans Phil like long lost cousins we see an outbreak of anti nordie feeling from the South...and from those who think Daley Thompson's remarks were racist too...Pot, kettle, black (no pun intended).
This is a very confused and confusing post. On one hand, you're suggesting it's nepotism, yet you also appear to be implying it's sectarian. Which is it? Because each one is a totally different argument.
No I don't think its sectarian, but it has been reported in NI as being a mix of North vs South and nepotism. I don't think myself that that is necessarily the case but I do believe on results she should have been included. The point I'm making is that it feeds the notion that Northerners don't get a fair shake.

johnneycool

Excuse my ignorance on this, but is it not solely based on seasons best times or are there other forces at work?

Onlooker

To the best of my knowledge, Joanna Mills has the better times and it does appear a strange selection.  Doubt if is based on North v. South, but nepotism does appear to be a factor in the matter.  Pity, because selection should be on merit. >:( >:(

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 24, 2012, 02:43:00 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2012, 01:43:31 PM
No I don't think its sectarian, but it has been reported in NI as being a mix of North vs South and nepotism. I don't think myself that that is necessarily the case but I do believe on results she should have been included. The point I'm making is that it feeds the notion that Northerners don't get a fair shake.
Where has it been reported as north vs south?