CPA Pull out of Fixtures Review Task Force

Started by Seany, November 19, 2019, 11:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

magpie seanie

Some serious bullshit on here about the CPA which has to be answered.

If people think they're anything but a genuine group of people who are honestly dedicated to fixing the fixtures then they need their heads read. Take the time to listen to their representatives and read the documents they've published. There's absolutely nothing in it for these people yet they're giving their free time to push this. The CPA leadership desperately hope that this gets fixed and the CPA is disbanded as soon as possible. That's an undeniable fact.

And there are quite a number of people signed up who interact with the CPA leadership, responding to questionnaire's, providing feedback, attending meetings.

It's the same with everything in this country. We say "things are shit" but "please don't fix them". Anyone who gets up off their holes to try and fix something is derided as a crank.

twohands!!!

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 27, 2019, 09:55:37 AM

If people think they're anything but a genuine group of people who are honestly dedicated to fixing the fixtures then they need their heads read. Take the time to listen to their representatives and read the documents they've published. There's absolutely nothing in it for these people yet they're giving their free time to push this. The CPA leadership desperately hope that this gets fixed and the CPA is disbanded as soon as possible. That's an undeniable fact.

And there are quite a number of people signed up who interact with the CPA leadership, responding to questionnaire's, providing feedback, attending meetings.

It's the same with everything in this country. We say "things are shit" but "please don't fix them". Anyone who gets up off their holes to try and fix something is derided as a crank.

Pretty sure that the CPA came out and said there from the get-go that there would be no expenses of any kind received by anyone involved with them.

Very hard to make the case that the people involved aren't genuine GAA folk who are looking to improve matters in my opinion.

The statement they released on why they pulled out of the negotiations is fairly damming in terms of how the GAA insiders carried on.

Real whiff of "we've let ye in the room, ye can say our piece but we're not going to pay a dammed bit of notice to one word ye say. Even if ye someone manage to pull together a magical solution that pleases everyone, there's no way we're even going to consider it."

five points

Just because you're a genuine GAA person doesn't mean your ideas are any good.

Esmarelda

I'd have thought the question is, what were the terms of reference for this committee?

The CPA seem to think that it was a blank page approach to fixtures which is unlikely to have been the case in practice.

Nothing is ever a blank page approach in the GAA; everything is incremental and to think that this would've been any different was naive, especially with the Tier 2 competition being introduced while the committee was still meeting.

thewobbler

Quote from: five points on November 28, 2019, 10:47:29 AM
Very much this.

I'll repeat ad infinitum that there is no solution to the current fixtures impasse until the culture of postponing games until county players return, is reversed.

What the average club player in Ireland needs from the CPA, more than anything, is leadership in this regard. Leadership who are prepared to recognise the root cause of the problem, and implement the process of acceptance.

——

It never fails to amuse/amaze me that clubs will dig their heels in for months waiting for Jonny to come back from county commitments, but will carry on regardless with matches when Jonny then buggers off to America after a couple of club training sessions.

It's a mindset thing. Which means it can be changed with little effort.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2019, 11:08:11 AM
Very much this.

I'll repeat ad infinitum that there is no solution to the current fixtures impasse until the culture of postponing games until county players return, is reversed.

What the average club player in Ireland needs from the CPA, more than anything, is leadership in this regard. Leadership who are prepared to recognise the root cause of the problem, and implement the process of acceptance.

——

It never fails to amuse/amaze me that clubs will dig their heels in for months waiting for Jonny to come back from county commitments, but will carry on regardless with matches when Jonny then buggers off to America after a couple of club training sessions.

I agree 100%

Would no league relegation help change that mentality?

Next year's league standings are decided on this years championship performance? E.g Division 1 2020 would be your championship quarter-finalists from 2019. 8 team division home and away. 14 league games to played through April to July.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Very much this.

——

One Jonny isn't the problem, its when there's five or six Jonnys missing.

The impact that can have on a club can be devastating, even training standards take a battering.

There's no one answer to this issue.

thewobbler

JC I get your point, and I know that the Ards is its own micro economy when it comes to filling out a county hurling team, but would it not be unusual for a club to be capable of producing half-a-dozen elite players, but have no strength in depth?

I'm not saying performances wouldn't suffer if teams fielded regularly without county players. But I would expect as sway every couple of years, with some clubs thriving and others falling behind, then the poles reversing. not much different to now.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2019, 03:55:51 PM
JC I get your point, and I know that the Ards is its own micro economy when it comes to filling out a county hurling team, but would it not be unusual for a club to be capable of producing half-a-dozen elite players, but have no strength in depth?

I'm not saying performances wouldn't suffer if teams fielded regularly without county players. But I would expect as sway every couple of years, with some clubs thriving and others falling behind, then the poles reversing. not much different to now.

We just couldn't field at senior level ATM, that's the bottom line.

shawshank

Well said MS, what's is Five Points agenda here. Saying as you don't agree with the CPA suggestions to sort the continued shafting of club players, prey tell us all your ideas to solve the club players plight and have a calendar season with a clear start and finish?

shawshank

Very much this.

——

It never fails to a amaze me why people think that the county player can't play in his club league or championship game following the weekend of a county championship match, rather than train with the county team all the time until the next game. Your loaded to the county at the clubs expense. Why don't you loaded to the club and county evenly.

thewobbler

Quote from: shawshank on November 28, 2019, 06:17:57 PM
Very much this.

——

It never fails to a amaze me why people think that the county player can't play in his club league or championship game following the weekend of a county championship match, rather than train with the county team all the time until the next game. Your loaded to the county at the clubs expense. Why don't you loaded to the club and county evenly.

The difficulty is more physiological than physical.

County players put in the hard yards all winter and spring with a goal of playing summer football at the highest level.

To then ask them to jump flippantly between club and county, especially in peak season county, it is - in my opinion - more than a touch unfair. Not because of risk of tiredness or injuries (though these are factors), but because asking them to give 100% equally to two causes has to be an emotional drain.

Of course they want to play for their clubs. But during a county championship season, it's surely not just as high on the list of priorities, especially as they progress in the AI series, and dreams come closer to reality, and the intensity required to fulfil that dream requires selfishness.

I was never even remotely good enough at football to put myself on their actual shoes. But anybody who believes that tearing someone in two directions will lead to a fulfilled conclusion in either, is ignoring every rule they've learned in life, and creating a special fantasy case for GAA commitment.

——

Encourage the GAA to wrap up the county season as quick as possible. Encourage the GAA to eliminate as many county teams as early as possible in the summer. Play club GAA with gay abandon while your county team progresses, and then with even gayer abandon when they're out.

This is the only way to ensure a regular and fulfilling club season for the 98%.

five points

Quote from: shawshank on November 28, 2019, 06:13:06 PM

Well said MS, what's is Five Points agenda here. Saying as you don't agree with the CPA suggestions to sort the continued shafting of club players, prey tell us all your ideas to solve the club players plight and have a calendar season with a clear start and finish?

No agenda here, but you wont get a calendar season with a clear start and finish without first doing a lot of harm. And I don't agree that club players are always getting shafted.  The club scene in most counties, as far as I can see, is thriving. 

Granted, clubs naturally want to have their best/county panel players for as many league games as possible and for the entire championship campaign. If players are going to play for club and county, each has to accommodate the other.

One idea I'd have is for county league promotion and relegation to be based on championship performance. So if you lose league games because you're missing Johnny the county man for a couple of months, you won't be punished.

And I'd ditch the new idea of your national league status impacting on your All Ireland Championship status. If counties want to release players on a rotational basis to allow their club have them for a weekend or two in the spring, they shouldn't be punished either.

Forcing a calendar season means that club championships will be rushed in counties that do well in the intercounty championship. I'd give counties that reach the All Ireland QFs a bye in the early rounds of the club provincial senior championships.

And I'd scrap the intermediate and junior provincial championships, or play them knockout in Jan or Feb.