Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Anyone here any experience with VAGs that were recalled because of the emissions scandal couple of years ago? Specifically with the EGR valve being knackered? The reason I ask, I've started to get a few warning lights pop up along with limp mode. Had a quick google and there seems to be the suggestion that this is a common fault post recall. Got the mechanic to clear the codes after a service there last week but don't feel comfortable driving now with the chance of it shitting itself on the road and I know it's a big enough fix. Mechanic reckons it's time to move it on.

delgany

Sore on diesel , costly to fix , limb mode a pain !
Traded  a 2010 Golf tdi , lost £300 on the deal.
Took it and ran !

general_lee

It's a pain alright. Car was solid pre recall. Ever since I've noticed the fan running more and more often (after 30min journeys) so assuming DPF is getting hammered as well. I'm just wondering would there be any recourse with Audi with a car that age or is it best just getting rid? Don't like the idea of selling a car I know will cause the new owner problems

haranguerer

Quote from: general_lee on July 29, 2019, 02:15:53 PM
Anyone here any experience with VAGs that were recalled because of the emissions scandal couple of years ago? Specifically with the EGR valve being knackered? The reason I ask, I've started to get a few warning lights pop up along with limp mode. Had a quick google and there seems to be the suggestion that this is a common fault post recall. Got the mechanic to clear the codes after a service there last week but don't feel comfortable driving now with the chance of it shitting itself on the road and I know it's a big enough fix. Mechanic reckons it's time to move it on.

I didn't think the emissions scandal had anything to do with the EGR valve. Common separate issue for EGR to be knackered, but I thought the emissions scandal was a brain manipulation to con emissions tests?

general_lee

Quote from: haranguerer on July 29, 2019, 02:39:25 PM

I didn't think the emissions scandal had anything to do with the EGR valve. Common separate issue for EGR to be knackered, but I thought the emissions scandal was a brain manipulation to con emissions tests?
I didn't either, hence asking. But seemingly there have been plenty of reports of EGR problems according to honestjohn.co.uk.

on the sideline

My tax runs out on 31st July. My MOT ran out 24th July. I booked in for an MOT as soon as I received the notification letter. The earliest date I got anywhere in NI at that stage was 20th August. I've tried going online to change it, looking for cancellations etc. and so far that is still earliest date I can get. Went to pay the tax online and again today at Post Office. Neither would let me with no MOT.

Do any of you know if because of the joke of a log jam here with MOTs (book now you get September as earliest date) is there some kind of cover letter or disccompensation that will cover me to allow me to keep driving until my MOT? Or and I screwed for next 3 weeks or so because the MOT centres are so far behind??? I will keep checking for cancellations in mean time but surely there's some kind of cover given the circumstances surrounding the MOT mess here? I hope!

haranguerer

Quote from: general_lee on July 29, 2019, 03:15:32 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 29, 2019, 02:39:25 PM

I didn't either, hence asking. But seemingly there have been plenty of reports of EGR problems according to honestjohn.co.uk.

Ah, seemed your google search linked the two.

I'm sure others will know more, but I've had a yellow engine management light that is likely EGR related for years, went into limp mode once after a hard journey, but other than that was fine. The issue now though is that yellow engine mgt lights weren't an mot failure til may this year. So something that could be largely ignored in my situation can't be any more.

BennyCake

Quote from: on the sideline on July 29, 2019, 05:14:33 PM
My tax runs out on 31st July. My MOT ran out 24th July. I booked in for an MOT as soon as I received the notification letter. The earliest date I got anywhere in NI at that stage was 20th August. I've tried going online to change it, looking for cancellations etc. and so far that is still earliest date I can get. Went to pay the tax online and again today at Post Office. Neither would let me with no MOT.

Do any of you know if because of the joke of a log jam here with MOTs (book now you get September as earliest date) is there some kind of cover letter or disccompensation that will cover me to allow me to keep driving until my MOT? Or and I screwed for next 3 weeks or so because the MOT centres are so far behind??? I will keep checking for cancellations in mean time but surely there's some kind of cover given the circumstances surrounding the MOT mess here? I hope!

Last I heard, no cover letter were being issued.

Keep trying online. Sometimes you might get cancellation dates for later the same day or next day. Be ready in a flash to select a date if you see one, otherwise it will be snapped up in an instant! Happened me a few times. Luckily I got one for the next day (was a couple months ago though).

JohnDenver

Quote from: BennyCake on July 29, 2019, 06:20:11 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on July 29, 2019, 05:14:33 PM

Last I heard, no cover letter were being issued.

Keep trying online. Sometimes you might get cancellation dates for later the same day or next day. Be ready in a flash to select a date if you see one, otherwise it will be snapped up in an instant! Happened me a few times. Luckily I got one for the next day (was a couple months ago though).

From memory, if you are trying to rebook a cancellation, be on the website refreshing from around 9am to 9.30am and as bennycake says be ready to pounce quick as they are snapped up. Keep refreshing and going back and forward, you will get dates and times with patience. Good luck

angermanagement

Be online from 8:15-830. I didn't receive the reminder so the MOT had expired, first date I could get was the end of August. Over three mornings changed the appointment for 2 weeks away, one week then on the third day got an next day appointment.

Be prepared to try a few different venues. According to the man doing the MOT Boucher Road is your best bet for a cancellation.

on the sideline

Thanks for the advice folks.

on the sideline

Tried online again at the times suggested there again this morning. Got a slot now on 9th August. Will keep trying that and see if I can get one even closer again later/tomorrow etc. Thanks for the advice on it! 
In the mean time I take it that I would just be taking my chances if I was to drive on from tomorrow until the 9th until I get the test and then get the car taxed?  Still think it's a joke that because of their backlog I can't tax my car and there's no allowance/acknowledgement of that in the form of a cover letter etc.

GJL

Ring your nearest MOT centre at about 9.05am. This is when they become aware of extra slots available in that particular day.

snoopdog

Could anyone recommend a good tyre. I have a Santa fe and it eats front tyres. Have had vredisan davanti and an Asian brand I can't think of name. But they don't last much longer than a year on average miles. Is this usual for a SUV?     

paddyjohn

Quote from: snoopdog on July 31, 2019, 08:44:34 PM
Could anyone recommend a good tyre. I have a Santa fe and it eats front tyres. Have had vredisan davanti and an Asian brand I can't think of name. But they don't last much longer than a year on average miles. Is this usual for a SUV?   

I always go with Michelin or Goodyear. Kumho aren't bad either.