Yours sincerely, Wasting Away

Answer my question, take me your leave,
Occupation no more!
Will you still need me, oh won't you cede me,
Insh'allah before,
You...turn...six...ty...four....

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israel-admits-it-covertly-canceled-residency-status-of-140-000-palestinians-1.360935

Israel has used a covert procedure to cancel the residency status of 140,000 West Bank Palestinians between 1967 and 1994, the legal advisor for the Judea and Samaria Justice Ministry's office admits, in a new document obtained by Haaretz.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2011, 09:01:24 AM

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israel-admits-it-covertly-canceled-residency-status-of-140-000-palestinians-1.360935

Israel has used a covert procedure to cancel the residency status of 140,000 West Bank Palestinians between 1967 and 1994, the legal advisor for the Judea and Samaria Justice Ministry's office admits, in a new document obtained by Haaretz.

If you want to read criticism of Israel, you have to read the Israeli press. Anything like this gets printed in the European or American press, the anti-Semite brand is thrust into the fire.

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2011, 08:07:08 AM
Quote from: Franko on May 11, 2011, 12:46:46 AM
Are we now seeing a case of 'be careful what you wish for' in Egypt?  Christians and Muslims are fighting against each other in the street, food prices have doubled and there are widespread protests at the leadership of Tantawi and Sharaf.  The vibrant tourist industry has been ruined for years to come, unemployment has increased and over 800 people have had to die to achieve this.
I'm genuinely interested in hearing the views of those who were most vocal in their support of the revolution on where it has all went wrong / where does Egypt go from here?

Franko

Do you know any protestants in West Cork?

?

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on May 11, 2011, 09:50:48 AM
Are we now seeing a case of 'be careful what you wish for' in Egypt?  Christians and Muslims are fighting against each other in the street, food prices have doubled and there are widespread protests at the leadership of Tantawi and Sharaf.  The vibrant tourist industry has been ruined for years to come, unemployment has increased and over 800 people have had to die to achieve this.
I'm genuinely interested in hearing the views of those who were most vocal in their support of the revolution on where it has all went wrong / where does Egypt go from here?

Franko

?

Irish history is brutal, Franko. It all gets glossed over but what the Catholics did to the Protestants in
West Cork in the 20s was appalling.  Before launching into the Egyptians it is worth bearing this in mind.
Most Egyptians are tolerant, decent people.   
I don't buy the argument that Arabs are savages incapable of
deciding their futures for themselves.  Israel has been spinning Coptic-Muslim tension for its own ends a lot recently. 

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2011, 10:36:23 AM
Irish history is brutal, Franko. It all gets glossed over but what the Catholics did to the Protestants in
West Cork in the 20s was appalling.  Before launching into the Egyptians it is worth bearing this in mind.
deciding their futures for themselves.  Israel has been spinning Coptic-Muslim tension for its own ends a lot recently.

Indeed. There was a school of thought at the end of the Second World War that Germany would have to be run like provinces in the Roman Republic. It was only when the Soviet Union brought the jackboot down on their occupied zone that it became expedient to allow the Federal Republic to come into existence, and it worked out okay despite everything that had gone before

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on May 11, 2011, 10:40:32 AM

Indeed. There was a school of thought at the end of the Second World War that Germany would have to be run like provinces in the Roman Republic. It was only when the Soviet Union brought the jackboot down on their occupied zone that it became expedient to allow the Federal Republic to come into existence, and it worked out okay despite everything that had gone before

did you ever come across After the Reich by Giles McDonogh, Deiseach? he goes into the gruesome story of what happened to the 14 million Germans who were left outside the Germany filletted at the Potsdam conference. 2 million people were murdered and millions of women were  raped.

Franko

Franko

?

Seafoid,

Where exactly did I 'launch into the Egyptians'.  I posted the facts of the current situation (I dont think any of these would be disputed) and genuinely asked if any of the main supporters of the revolution could see a way forward for Egypt.  What this has to do with the 'ethnic cleansing' of West Cork in the 20's is beyond me.

Yis are fierce touchy lads.

thebigfella

Quote from: Franko on May 11, 2011, 01:32:50 PM

Franko

?

Seafoid,

Where exactly did I 'launch into the Egyptians'.  I posted the facts of the current situation (I dont think any of these would be disputed) and genuinely asked if any of the main supporters of the revolution could see a way forward for Egypt.  What this has to do with the 'ethnic cleansing' of West Cork in the 20's is beyond me.

Yep and of course there was the obligatory dig at Israel too from Seafoid, the boy's on the Obama (EDIT: Osama  :D) thread might have a point  :D

deiseach

Seafoid,

Well, you did ask "where it has all went wrong". To quote Zhou Enlai, it's too early to say. seafoid's point (I think) is that anyone looking at Ireland between 1916 and 1922 would assume that it had gone horribly wrong. And for the hundreds who died and their families it did go wrong. But it worked out okay. As for "where does Egypt go from here", the promise of free and fair elections in September is a good place to travel towards.

seafoid

Franko

in fairness you did say

"Are we now seeing a case of 'be careful what you wish for' in Egypt?  Christians and Muslims are fighting against each other in the street"

I read that as you can't trust these Arabs and they would have been better off under a dictatorship but apologies if I misinterpreted.  The new Egyptian FM did complain to Israel about blowing up the religious tensions angle.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: thebigfella on May 11, 2011, 01:57:38 PM

Franko

?

Seafoid,

Yep and of course there was the obligatory dig at Israel too from Seafoid, the boy's on the Obama thread might have a point  :D

yup, what did I say ? it was inevitable that he would try to link Israel to it.

seafoid

Here's an example for you, MikeSheehy. You should inform yourself about how Israel works

DBG April 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm
Shingo,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_Cairo_pogrom

Chaos4700 April 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm
Speaking of which, Shingo, check the history on that entry. It's not even a month old! And the citations reference the Jewish Virtual Library and the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs.

Israel has been spinning about pogroms in egypt since Mubarak was deposed. There was no 1945 Cairo pogrom either.

Do you know who Beitar Jerusalem are ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL4pzjebgSM&feature=fvsr
We hate Hapoel Tel Aviv, we hate Sakhnin, we hate Arabs

seafoid

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3467773,00.html

Beitar Jerusalem fans chanted slogans praising Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin's assassin, Yigal Amir, during a ceremony held before the soccer team's away game against Maccabi Haifa on Sunday.

Tyrones own

You simply asked a reasonable question Franko and what do ye get?.... a scattering session, if it's linking
everything under the Sun that goes on in the world to either the US or Israel, they're now reduced to finding
a link between Egypt and Ireland in order to save face  :D

FFS answer the man's question...I'm sure there's more than him that would like to hear an answer to it
..especially having taken a little time to go back over the thread, it's no wonder their all over the place  :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann