Laochra Gael - Stevie McDonnell

Started by Il Bomber Destro, March 20, 2016, 04:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotedObserver

Not sure who was better but Stevie was the more dangerous and the one you didnt want to be on the end of the passes

general_lee

Quote from: Throw ball on March 31, 2019, 08:01:16 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2019, 04:00:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 21, 2016, 09:58:43 AM
Why armagh only won the one is one of the great mysteries, second only to why Mayo won none

The back door killed Armagh. If it had not been invented until 2006, Armagh would have seen a few more titles.

Quite possibly true. The extra games tested the squad and when it came to it the depth if the Armagh squad was not quite as deep as some others. Armagh is a small county with the most populated area - Craigavon / Lurgan/ Portadown providing very few county GAA players.
Hmm, I read somewhere there were 29 clubs represented in 02. Quite a big North Armagh representation in fact Craigavon Portadown and Lurgan were all represented. Also depending on whether you class Ballyhegan and Annaghmore as Portadown there's 7 men from the proddy end of the county.

Throw ball

Quote from: general_lee on April 10, 2019, 04:02:04 PM
Why armagh only won the one is one of the great mysteries, second only to why Mayo won none

The back door killed Armagh. If it had not been invented until 2006, Armagh would have seen a few more titles.

Quite possibly true. The extra games tested the squad and when it came to it the depth if the Armagh squad was not quite as deep as some others. Armagh is a small county with the most populated area - Craigavon / Lurgan/ Portadown providing very few county GAA players.
Hmm, I read somewhere there were 29 clubs represented in 02. Quite a big North Armagh representation in fact Craigavon Portadown and Lurgan were all represented. Also depending on whether you class Ballyhegan and Annaghmore as Portadown there's 7 men from the proddy end of the county.

Of the regular participators in 02 I would only class McCann , Marsden and Ohagan as being from the area I suggest. When you consider Mullabawn had McNultys, Tierney and McGeeney it is hardly a fair representation. Fast forward to 2019 when there has been a resurgence in schools football in Lurgan I can only think of Murnin and Campbell pushing to start against Down in championship. Forkhill could have Burns, Sheridan and Hall.

tonto1888

Quote from: Throw ball on April 12, 2019, 12:45:54 AM
Quote from: general_lee on April 10, 2019, 04:02:04 PM

Of the regular participators in 02 I would only class McCann , Marsden and Ohagan as being from the area I suggest. When you consider Mullabawn had McNultys, Tierney and McGeeney it is hardly a fair representation. Fast forward to 2019 when there has been a resurgence in schools football in Lurgan I can only think of Murnin and Campbell pushing to start against Down in championship. Forkhill could have Burns, Sheridan and Hall.

Is there anyone else from the area good enough to push for a start? For me it doesn't matter where in the county the players are form, the best players start

Throw ball

I agree Tonto. My argument is that the number of county players from the most densely populated area of the county is a very poor return and has been for a considerable time.

tonto1888

Quote from: Throw ball on April 12, 2019, 10:33:44 PM
I agree Tonto. My argument is that the number of county players from the most densely populated area of the county is a very poor return and has been for a considerable time.

How does it stack up against other counties? Tyrone for example; would most of their players be from dungannon /omagh or more rural places?

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 14, 2019, 08:10:06 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on April 12, 2019, 10:33:44 PM

How does it stack up against other counties? Tyrone for example; would most of their players be from dungannon /omagh or more rural places?

Tyrone have always seemed to have had a good spread across the county generally but the larger towns like Cookstown, Omagh, Dungannon and Strabane have not yielded a huge pile. Omagh to be fair in recent years have had a quite a few but I can't think of the tope of my head if we have any involved in 2003 and Joe McMahon would have been the only player in 2005. The players generally tend to come from the more rural areas, we currently have no player from the Cookstown, Dungannon and Strabane clubs on the county senior panel, Meyler, McLaughlin and Grugan would be the Omagh representatives currently and we've had the McMahons, Ronan O'Neill, Tierney and Clarke play for Tyrone in recent years so they are more than carrying more than their own at the minute.

It goes in cycles generally, if you look at the sides which won All Irelands we had the likes of Clann, Carrickmore, Rock, Eglish, Netownstewart, Killeeshil, Moortown etc having representation on the senior panel in the past where we have no players from those clubs now while we have quite a few important players from clubs like Trillick and Pomeroy etc in the current side that would have little to no representation back in the All Ireland winning sides.

The North of Tyrone generally hasn't bred too many county players for Tyrone in the recent past, we currently have McShane and you could say McNamee there and would have had McConnell, O'Neill and Dooher back in the AI winning sides but that's been about the height of it. The general makeup of that side of Tyrone would be slightly blacker than the other regions if you catch my drift.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL