Climate change

Started by Eamonnca1, September 20, 2019, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

How did the protests go in China the worlds biggest culprit for emissions and pollution? Noticed sid never mentioned them either

Gabriel_Hurl

Antifa and China..... there we go. That's a BINGO

grounded

Quote from: sid waddell on September 24, 2019, 06:41:30 PM
Viciously abusing children is an integral part of mainstream right-wing ideology

This applies to sexual abuse, putting children of refugees in concentration camps, claiming that survivors of school shootings are "crisis actors" and vicious verbal abuse of a young environmental campaigner

Right-wing politics is totally bankrupt of ideas

It has no vision whatsoever for improving the lives of people, well, no vision whatsoever for improving the lives of people who aren't already filthy rich at any rate

So shameless abuse of the weak, marginalised and those who are campaigning to change society and the world for good is now all it has left

Trump, Johnson and the other hard Brexiteers, Putin, the DUP, Netanyahu, Bin Salman, Orban, Modi, Bolsonaro, Duterte, Erdogan, Salvini, Le Pen, AFD etc., they are all the same thing - they are part of a loose, and often less loose international alliance of kleptocrats and sadists who are out to protect untramelled privilege and power at all costs, and they have no problem dragging the world into a new dark age to do so

Don't usually agree with all you write but that is spot on.
   However I'm not sure of the merits of having a child being placed front and centre for this campaign. And you can be damn sure someone or a group of powerful people have pushed her out into the limelight to face the shi T storm.

thewobbler

I've probably mentioned this before on a thread like this is that the problem with the climate change movement is that it has become zealot like.

An obsessive atheist, with their steadfast beliefs and unwiltingly dismissive tone, is every bit as insufferably annoying as a religious nutcase. They quote their scientific understanding as fact when the only fact about origin is that nobody in science has yet come up with a better reasoning for it than the God fella.

The climate change movement seems determined for a seat at this table. When people describe the movement as selective it's because they hit you in exactly the same way; through a sample of trustworthy data that requires "scientific agreement" to compare any further back in time than the industrial revolution.

I will never dismiss client change but I absolutely reserve the right to question the sanity, motives and unflinching, inherent bias of a movement of zealots.

——

Ponder this. Back when Christianity was spreading, the world was one of villages with older, wiser elders. They didn't latch onto Christianity because it answered their questions, or made any more sense than their other shrines and Gods. But it brought with it a set of guiding principles that any smart leader could subscribe to, and or take advantage of.

Climate change is a bit like this for governments. Whether it's based on truth or a lie doesn't actually matter to a government. Looking after the environment is a pretty bloody good set of guiding principles to confer upon your citizens. Raising taxes if they don't is a pretty good asset to call upon.

Trouble is, like Religion, the zealots just make it unbearable for so many of us.

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2019, 08:59:13 PM
I've probably mentioned this before on a thread like this is that the problem with the climate change movement is that it has become zealot like.

An obsessive atheist, with their steadfast beliefs and unwiltingly dismissive tone, is every bit as insufferably annoying as a religious nutcase. They quote their scientific understanding as fact when the only fact about origin is that nobody in science has yet come up with a better reasoning for it than the God fella.

The climate change movement seems determined for a seat at this table. When people describe the movement as selective it's because they hit you in exactly the same way; through a sample of trustworthy data that requires "scientific agreement" to compare any further back in time than the industrial revolution.

I will never dismiss client change but I absolutely reserve the right to question the sanity, motives and unflinching, inherent bias of a movement of zealots.

——

Ponder this. Back when Christianity was spreading, the world was one of villages with older, wiser elders. They didn't latch onto Christianity because it answered their questions, or made any more sense than their other shrines and Gods. But it brought with it a set of guiding principles that any smart leader could subscribe to, and or take advantage of.

Climate change is a bit like this for governments. Whether it's based on truth or a lie doesn't actually matter to a government. Looking after the environment is a pretty bloody good set of guiding principles to confer upon your citizens. Raising taxes if they don't is a pretty good asset to call upon.

Trouble is, like Religion, the zealots just make it unbearable for so many of us.
Which were?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on September 24, 2019, 08:33:11 PM
How did the protests go in China the worlds biggest culprit for emissions and pollution? Noticed sid never mentioned them either

Ever heard about what happens to people who protest in China?

Eamonnca1

the only fact about origin is that nobody in science has yet come up with a better reasoning for it than the God fella.

Sweet Jesus. The origins of the universe, the origins of the stars, the origins of the planets, and the origins of humanity are well understood. The "God did it" explanation was made redundant years ago. Just because you haven't read the literature doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So you don't question the science, you just don't like the fact that there are people who insist on quoting the science?

You poor little lamb.

sid waddell

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 24, 2019, 08:36:40 PM
He should say what he really "thinks" abut Greta Thunberg

Or how about his opinion on what Dinesh D'Souza, the US right-wing's favourite fake intellectual did when he compared Thunberg to a Nazi

How about his opinion on what Fox News's Laura Ingraham said when she compared Thunberg and other environmental activists to Stephen King's "Children Of The Corn"

The Children Of The Corn were fictional characters who murdered people in order to ensure a successful corn harvest

So the mainstream US right wing is actually comparing Thunberg to Nazis and murderers, I'm making precisely zero of this up

Yet you won't hear a word about that here from any of the Trump cultists

That's because, like their charlatan hero, they are sadists who revel in seeing cruelty inflicted on children in whatever form they can get away with

This is the world we live in now, where right wing crazies defend monstrous behaviour because "my team"

The 1930s are not some abstract past - they are here right now

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on September 24, 2019, 11:22:41 PM

Or how about his opinion on what Dinesh D'Souza, the US right-wing's favourite fake intellectual did when he compared Thunberg to a Nazi

How about his opinion on what Fox News's Laura Ingraham said when she compared Thunberg and other environmental activists to Stephen King's "Children Of The Corn"

The Children Of The Corn were fictional characters who murdered people in order to ensure a successful corn harvest

So the mainstream US right wing is actually comparing Thunberg to Nazis and murderers, I'm making precisely zero of this up

That's because, like their charlatan hero, they are sadists who revel in seeing cruelty inflicted on children in whatever form they can get away with

This is the world we live in now, where right wing crazies defend monstrous behaviour because "my team"

what has any of that got to do with climate change ?  Climate change only started in January 2017 I suppose

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on September 25, 2019, 01:15:19 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 24, 2019, 11:22:41 PM

what has any of that got to do with climate change ?  Climate change only started in January 2017 I suppose

The right is a problem. The right (people who don't believe in evolution) have evolved on the climate as follows:

1 - Climate change is a hoax
2 - Okay, it's not a hoax, but man isn't responsible
3 - Okay, man is responsible, but what about China?
4 - Greta has pigtails. You know who else had pigtails? The Hitler Youth! Ergo climate change alarmists are Nazis!

Some people on the right are at stage 4, others are still at stage 1.

t_mac

It is also a bit of misnomer for young Greta to say us pesky adults have stolen her childhood, the youth of the day are guzzling resources on throw away items.  When I was young I walked, like every person on my estate, to school, played outside kicking a ball and never ever had a holiday overseas, rather than blame this generation, climate change is as mentioned before down to one reason and one reason alone - there is too many people on this rock, nothing will change and a tipping point will occur soon, the earth is better off without us, maybe a mass extinction will give it time to heal and let it be inhabited by creatures who deserve it rather that us greedy, needy, selfish halfwits - the irony is they are thinking of colonising Mars, in case such an eventuality happens, so mankind can destroy two planets!

thewobbler

And there you go Eamon, proving my point.

In three quotes you've claimed that scientists understand the origins of the universe, reconfirmed that you will blindly follow scientific opinion, and attacker me for not doing the same.

Look up zealotry.

five points

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 25, 2019, 05:11:29 AM

The right is a problem. The right (people who don't believe in evolution) have evolved on the climate as follows:

4 - Greta has pigtails. You know who else had pigtails? The Hitler Youth! Ergo climate change alarmists are Nazis!

Nice reductionism there.

I'll bite.
8 looming environmental apocalypses in the past 60 years:
1 Silent Spring
2 The Population Bomb
3 Resource Depletion
4 Global Cooling
5 Acid Rain
6 The Ozone Hole
7 Peak Oil
8 Global Warming aka Climate change

1-7 turned out to be either false or highly exaggerated.
And the left expect us to collapse the world economy for no. 8.

J70

Quote from: five points on September 25, 2019, 08:34:34 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 25, 2019, 05:11:29 AM

Nice reductionism there.

I'll bite.
8 looming environmental apocalypses in the past 60 years:
1 Silent Spring
2 The Population Bomb
3 Resource Depletion
4 Global Cooling
5 Acid Rain
6 The Ozone Hole
7 Peak Oil
8 Global Warming aka Climate change

1-7 turned out to be either false or highly exaggerated.
And the left expect us to collapse the world economy for no. 8.

I'll bite back and assume you didn't pull that list off some half-baked Fox News or Facebook post.

Just a couple for starters...

Explain how Silent Spring, Acid Rain, Ozone Hole are either false or highly exagerrated.

J70

——

Zeal doesn't make something wrong. It doesn't make it right either, but that is where you have to look at your own conscience.

What would you have people do?

Do you think elected governments (or dictators either) are just going to follow the guiding principles of environmental responsibility without the support of the populace and in some cases, mass mobilization?

This issue is rightly a hot political one right now, partly because of a series of recent weather events and effects on polar regions, but also partly because some very large and influential countries have been taken over by right wing demagogues who are intent on falsely dismissing the legitimate concerns and rolling back the modest steps taken so far, and intent on opening up their countries' remaining tracts of somewhat ecologically intact lands to exploitation and destruction.