Clash of the Titans - Meath vs Offaly May 12th

Started by thejuice, April 17, 2019, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thejuice on April 28, 2019, 12:15:51 PM
Plenty of lads dropped off our panel over the last two years as Andy upped the standards required in terms of fitness and commitment. Plenty of lads walked away, most famously Paddy O'Rourke who was vocal about how it was pointless but we seem to be going in the right direction now in Andy's third year. Takes time for these things to work out.

We play Roscommon today at 3:30 for the reopening of my old clubs pitch in Ardcath. Get down there if you can.
I was at the game. Enjoyable and entertaing but not too serious at the same time. Typical pre- season stuff.  I was there to meet a couple of old friends from my time living in Bective over 25 years ago so I wasn't took fussed about the programme details or individuals's names etc. Still,  very enjoyable afternoon. Good turnout and the pitch looks top class.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

thejuice

https://soundcloud.com/lmfmradio/sunday-sport-meath-v-offaly-preview

Preview of the game from a Meath perspective.

We played Kerry in the challenge game at the weekend. 3-18 to 0-16 to Kerry. Not sure if the line ups but pretty sure there were 1st choice players on both sides from the list of scorers I've seen.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

twohands!!!

Quote from: thejuice on May 07, 2019, 01:34:36 PM

We played Kerry in the challenge game at the weekend. 3-18 to 0-16 to Kerry. Not sure if the line ups but pretty sure there were 1st choice players on both sides from the list of scorers I've seen.

Was talking to someone connected with the Meath camp and they were a bit surprised at how much of a clear gap in quality there was between themselves and Kerry.
The vibe I got was that expectations in the camp had gotten a slight bit ahead of where Meath are after the league campaign and the main thing the Meath squad took away from the game was that they need to stay in Division 1 long-term if they want to make any serious progress.
On Kerry's chances of Sam they said the big thing is getting enough ball to their forwards.
Kerry had Clifford, Geaney and JOD on the pitch at the same time for a long stretch and they were in serious form - JOD especially.
However they reckoned that teams will seriously target Kerry around the midfield area to cut off supply like Mayo did in the league final.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 08, 2019, 07:55:35 PM
Quote from: thejuice on May 07, 2019, 01:34:36 PM

Was talking to someone connected with the Meath camp and they were a bit surprised at how much of a clear gap in quality there was between themselves and Kerry.
The vibe I got was that expectations in the camp had gotten a slight bit ahead of where Meath are after the league campaign and the main thing the Meath squad took away from the game was that they need to stay in Division 1 long-term if they want to make any serious progress.
On Kerry's chances of Sam they said the big thing is getting enough ball to their forwards.
Kerry had Clifford, Geaney and JOD on the pitch at the same time for a long stretch and they were in serious form - JOD especially.
However they reckoned that teams will seriously target Kerry around the midfield area to cut off supply like Mayo did in the league final.
From what i seen of Meath in the league final they still have major issues in defence and that Kerry forward line will score for fun against any disorganized defence.

thejuice

Yeah I don't know how anyone might think we've closed the gap that significantly with the top 3 teams. I think our defense is ok though they do have shakey periods but our forward line aren't going to trouble the top teams enough to beat them. Looking at Div 1 it's hard to see us pick up many points without a bit more talent coming into the squad. Still think reaching a Leinster final is achievable but I don't see it as inevitable at all. The experts on the RTE website have nearly all tipped us to reach the last 8. I'm definitely not that confident but we could do it with a favorable draw.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Meath seem to be on the right path which is great to see. A few more years of progress and it could get interesting. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LooseCannon

1. Paddy Dunican (Shamrocks)
2. Declan Hogan (Tullamore)
3.Eoin Rigney (Rhode)
4. David Dempsey (Ballycommon)
5. Cian Donohue (St Brigid's)
6. Johnny Moloney (Tullamore)
7. Niall Darby (Rhode)
8. Eoin Carroll (Cappincur)
9. Peter Cunningham (Bracknagh)
10. Shane Horan (Kilmacud Crokes)
11. Anton Sullivan (Rhode)
12. Cathal Mangan (Kilclonfert)
13. Bernard Allen (Tubber)
14. Niall McNamee (Rhode)
15. Ruairi McNamee (Rhode)

I've a feeling that there'll be one change to that team.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: LooseCannon on May 09, 2019, 03:49:02 PM
3.Eoin Rigney (Rhode)
7. Niall Darby (Rhode)

Is that Offaly's strongest available side, any injuries or better players left on the bench?

LooseCannon

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 09, 2019, 06:13:26 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on May 09, 2019, 03:49:02 PM
3.Eoin Rigney (Rhode)
7. Niall Darby (Rhode)

Is that Offaly's strongest available side, any injuries or better players left on the bench?
In terms of what's in there, more or less the strongest. Joey O'Connor is struggling with an injury, while I feel that Paul McConway should be in defence, with Mangan taken out. I'd like to see Peter Cunningham at centre forward.

In terms of footballers in the county, probably not. I know of a good few players asked in that either dropped out, due to work commitments, or whatever, or just would not go in.
That being said, it's not a bad side at all. As strong as we could hope for, I suppose.

McConway and O'Connor would be the best players on the bench, both defenders, although Joey can bomb forward. Whether he's even fit or not, I don't know.
Shane Tierney in the forwards, I suppose. In reality he's just too small and not really up to it physically. I can imagine a Meath lad giving him a nice welcome if he arrives onto the pitch.

larryin89

Mad the way the mindset of a Gaelic football supporter works , there was a time I despised Meath but now I'd love to see the back knocking lumps out of Dublin ,perhaps it's a gra for tradition or just aul nostalgic rubbish I dunno . Best of luck to both teams , be interesting to see if maughan is learning as he goes along too .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Maughan learning :o :o
Sure he's known it all for about 30 years!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Meath:

Andrew Colgan;

Seamus Lavin, Conor McGill, Shane Gallagher;
James McEntee, Donal Keogan, Gavin McCoy;

Bryan Menton, Shane McEntee;

Cillian O'Sullivan, Bryan McMahon, Ben Brennan,
Barry Dardis, Michael Newman, Thomas O'Reilly.

Same as the league final. I'd have liked to see Graham Reilly start but I guess we'll keep him in reserve as we've been doing in the league. I guess Pauric Harnan still isn't fit enough yet either hence McCoy getting the nod.

seafoid

May the best team win

The Leinster championship is interesting at least until the end of May

https://youtu.be/3vOeMh6M1w8

Rudi

seafoid

RTÉ

57 mins

Meath 0-11 Offaly 0-13

At last MIckey Newman breaks Meath's second half duck, landing a point from play on 56 minutes and then following up with a free one minute later.