Munster Football Championship 2020

Started by Ball Hopper, October 27, 2020, 07:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Fantastic win for Cork, Kerry complete architects of their own downfall though, I thought they were very poor and setup to play in a bizarre manner, understand the weather was a factor but still.

Would be nice if the commentators copped on a bit about Clifford as well, so OTT at this stage. It's ridiculous watching a match and hearing every single skill (even rudimentary skills) described as if a deity has descended from the heavens onto the pitch to perform it. He got a really fine point from the wing tonight but then McStay reckons it's the greatest point he's ever seen in his life, jesus f**king wept.
Clifford is a great player but give it a rest on the hype when it's not warranted, he had a lot of poor plays out there this evening as well.

shark

Quote from: clarshack on November 08, 2020, 09:13:52 PM
Quote from: chrissears on November 08, 2020, 08:51:15 PM
Fair play to Cork but how did they win that game? They were so reluctant to go forward, pass sideways and back nobody wanted to take responsibility to take on the score. I still don't know if it was luck or judgement to lob in the high ball with seconds left, were they going for goal or trying for a point to go for penalties? Makes it very interesting now

The goal was a fluke but nobody outside Kerry will be complaining.

Yeah Connolly was going for a point. He's the type of player who routinely takes on low percentage shots. And in fairness, gets a fair few of them.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: greatpoint on November 08, 2020, 06:21:32 PM
Hopefully we get a break from the incessant hyping of Kerry and Clifford now.

It's a bit nauseating but Clifford is a quality player. Kerry seem to set up around Clifford, he had moments today but the captaincy seems a weight on his young shoulders. Cork did a good job on him. I don't think that set-up suits Kerry, it's suppressing their other forwards. Kerry should be looking to play more through Sean O'Sea. Then Geaney and O'Donoghue were losses today, they have a spark that can make a difference in tight games.

Playing in front of no fans was something Cork are use to, definitely help today  ;)

#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 08, 2020, 09:23:43 PM
Quote from: shark on November 08, 2020, 09:15:06 PM
Quote from: clarshack on November 08, 2020, 09:13:52 PM
Fair play to Cork but how did they win that game? They were so reluctant to go forward, pass sideways and back nobody wanted to take responsibility to take on the score. I still don't know if it was luck or judgement to lob in the high ball with seconds left, were they going for goal or trying for a point to go for penalties? Makes it very interesting now

The goal was a fluke but nobody outside Kerry will be complaining.

Yeah Connolly was going for a point. He's the type of player who routinely takes on low percentage shots. And in fairness, gets a fair few of them.
To be fair, he didn't have much choice. Time was up.

Time was almost up.. nothing like a smash and grab
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Definitely going for point imo. Also the number six would have needed to have hit with his left and maybe doesn't have one.

This shows you what you miss with provincials not being true knockout.

macdanger2

That equalising point from Sweeney at the end was a cracker

5times5times

Quote from: hardstation on November 08, 2020, 09:57:26 PM
Not sure it has been discussed but the equalising sideline kick from Tipp looked like he was over the line when he kicked it!

It was a free. Not a sideline kick.

Captain Obvious

Holding Kerry to 0-13 in 90 minutes hugely helped. Kerry no matter what they say afterwards was killed by complacency. Got a wake up call with the game brought into extra time but carried on their carefree attitude and was caught with their pants down.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: greatpoint on November 08, 2020, 08:25:44 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 07:51:14 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on November 08, 2020, 07:27:35 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 07:23:01 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on November 08, 2020, 07:19:08 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 06:41:05 PM
Dublin will be happy tonight

It's 2009 since Kerry last beat Dublin in the Championship, I don't think it will make much difference to them.

Did you miss the all Ireland final last year where kerry came within a whisker of beating Dublin?

The first one where Dublin played most of the game a man down? Or the second one where Kerry were soundly beaten by 6 points?

Yes, the one where kerry missed a penalty. Tell me this, when was the last time a team came closer to knocking Dublin out of the championship?

As someone else has pointed out, Mayo 2017 & 2016. They came considerably closer and even did it without being a man up for most of the game.

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 08, 2020, 08:12:08 PM
I know!! Kerry 2019 had their faults (Tyrone should have beaten them for one thing) but the fact remains that they're the team who got closest to Dublin in the last 3 years and were probably best placed to challenge this year.

Donegal the next closest I'd say. Mayo or Galway both have two many questions imo

How is that a fact? Mayo were closer in 2017 than Kerry were in 2019. The scoreboard doesn't lie.

" They came considerably closer"

Not sure how much closer you can get than a draw?
Do they add asterisks beside results now to say who had what sent off?

Macdanger is right, nobody has come closer than Kerry in the last three years to beating Dublin
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

sid waddell

Trump and Kerry gone in the same weekend, lovely

Funnily enough the way Kerry approached that game throughout reminded me of Hillary Clinton 2016 - they even got more scores than their opponent - 13 to Cork's 12 - but Cork got the one that counted

Kerry turned up today unprepared for a slogfest and Cork dragged them down to their level

If I was Peter Keane I'd have been flat out on the ground like Billy Morgan when Mikey Sheehy scored a seemingly winning goal in 1987

First time Cork have knocked Kerry out of the championship since 1999 - that was on a pissing wet day in Pairc Ui Chaoimh as well when current manager Ronan McCarthy literally dragged Maurice Fitzgerald, who was on the Kerry management team today, down to his level in a game which was choc full of shenanigans, it was naughty naughty

Cork have been making quiet improvement since they were relegated to Division 3 which is welcome for the game in general

But I can't see themselves or Galway having enough to challenge Dublin

Mayo might have, they are in genuine championship mode, and in this championship that's everything

Edit: 13 scores each, duh

BennyCake

If Dublin went out, what a cracking championship we would have! Can't see that happening though unfortunately.

But if it did, the calls for a return to a knockout championship would be deafening.

moysider

Quote from: sid waddell on November 08, 2020, 10:48:53 PM
Trump and Kerry gone in the same weekend, lovely

Funnily enough the way Kerry approached that game throughout reminded me of Hillary Clinton 2016 - they even got more scores than their opponent - 13 to Cork's 12 - but Cork got the one that counted

Kerry turned up today unprepared for a slogfest and Cork dragged them down to their level

If I was Peter Keane I'd have been flat out on the ground like Billy Morgan when Mikey Sheehy scored a seemingly winning goal in 1987

First time Cork have knocked Kerry out of the championship since 1999 - that was on a pissing wet day in Pairc Ui Chaoimh as well when current manager Ronan McCarthy literally dragged Maurice Fitzgerald, who was on the Kerry management team today, down to his level in a game which was choc full of shenanigans, it was naughty naughty

Cork have been making quiet improvement since they were relegated to Division 3 which is welcome for the game in general

But I can't see themselves or Galway having enough to challenge Dublin

Mayo might have, they are in genuine championship mode, and in this championship that's everything

Edit: 13 scores each, duh

Donegal are  best contender imo.

greatpoint

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 08, 2020, 10:25:15 PM
" They came considerably closer"

Not sure how much closer you can get than a draw?
Do they add asterisks beside results now to say who had what sent off?

Macdanger is right, nobody has come closer than Kerry in the last three years to beating Dublin

Did you only watch the drawn game and not bother with the replays or something? You consider losing twice by the minimum as further away than losing by 6 points?

I don't believe that they would add an asterisk for that but luckily we're on a GAA forum and not just reading down a spreadsheet of results, so our analysis can be a little bit more nuanced.

The last three Championships being 2017, 2018, 2019. Mayo 2017 were closer than Kerry 2019.

Eire90

football better than hurling this year as hurling not  single elimination knockout

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 08, 2020, 06:49:48 PM
It's great for the game but probably leaves us with a mismatch later on in the Championship. Delighted to see the Self proclaimed saviours of the game out on their arse.
I agree. Unless the west coast teams can up their standards it will be a procession.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU