The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

Done Everton a favour tbh, McCarthy is rubbish. They should sell him to whoever is stupid enough to pay a few million for him.

SHEEDY

A fully fit james mccarthy would definitely have started the merseyside derby tomorrow especially with morgan schneiderlin being out injured. a fit james mccarthy has always done a good job for everton, unfortunately he's spent too much time on the treatment table. Thats why I think he might move on in the summer.
Scheiderlin, coleman, funes mori and mccarthy are big misses for tomorrow and for the rest of the season.
nil satis nisi optimum

imtommygunn

Would he start but for schneiderlin injury though?

In the last derby everton were well on top until he had to go off to be fair. He has moved to cover now but would do a good job at a premier league club.

Worried gareth barry will start now. Pace could be an issue as jagielka has to play too and has slowed this year.

SHEEDY

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2017, 09:42:32 PM
Would he start but for schneiderlin injury though?

In the last derby everton were well on top until he had to go off to be fair. He has moved to cover now but would do a good job at a premier league club.

Worried gareth barry will start now. Pace could be an issue as jagielka has to play too and has slowed this year.
thats why mccarthy and schneiderlein being out are such big losses, barry wouldnt be starting if one of them were fit.
nil satis nisi optimum

imtommygunn

Yeah i think his number is up under koeman. Has to be 4 in defense i suspect so guess the  5 in midfield will be davies, barkley, gueye, barry and maybe the likes of mirallis. Assuming they are all fit.

Fuzzman

Can't believe Palace are beating Arsenal 3-0.
They're in free fall. We're only one goal behind them on goal difference now.
Arsenal TV will be going ape shit

SHEEDY

the sun newspaper really is just scum. who buys this shit...

Merseyside Police are investigating allegations that a newspaper article about Everton midfielder Ross Barkley constitutes a "racial hate crime".

Barkley, 23, was punched in a Liverpool bar last weekend in what his lawyer described as an "unprovoked attack".

In an article on Friday, Sun columnist Kelvin MacKenzie compared Barkley - who has a grandfather born in Nigeria - to a "gorilla at the zoo".

Police confirmed they were investigating the "full circumstances".

MacKenzie targeted both England international Barkley and the city of Liverpool in the article - which has since been taken off The Sun website - saying:

Barkley is "one of our dimmest footballers", also calling him "thick".
His eyes make him "certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home", adding: "I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo."
Men with similar "pay packets" in Liverpool are "drug dealers" and in prison.
Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson told BBC Sport he reported the article to the police for a "racial slur".

Speaking to BBC Sport, Anderson said: "Not only is it racist in a sense that he is of mixed-race descent, equally it's a racial stereotype of Liverpool. It is racist and prehistoric."

Anderson later tweeted to say he had reported the article to Merseyside Police and the Independent Press Standards Organisation.

Alongside the article, The Sun published adjoining pictures of Barkley and a gorilla on their website with the caption "Could Everton's Ross Barkley represent the missing link between man and beast?" The picture was later removed.

MacKenzie was editor of The Sun when it published a front-page article headlined 'Hillsborough: The Truth' in the aftermath of the 1989 disaster at Sheffield Wednesday's football stadium.

The article claimed Liverpool fans were to blame for the tragedy, in which 96 people died. MacKenzie apologised in 2012.

Last year's landmark Hillsborough inquests recorded that the 96 fans were unlawfully killed and that Liverpool supporters at the FA Cup semi-final had played no role in causing the tragedy.

This Saturday, 15 April, marks the 28th anniversary of the disaster.

Burnley midfielder Joey Barton, who was an Everton youth player, tweeted: "Those comments about Ross Barkley, a young working-class lad, are disgusting. Then add in the fact he is mixed race! It becomes outrageous."

Former Liverpool striker Stan Collymore tweeted: "Implied racism at its finest."

A Sun spokesperson said: "Columnists are supposed to have strong opinions that provoke debate among the readers. However their views do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper."

Football's equality and inclusion organisation Kick It Out said they had received complaints about the "insulting and offensive" comments.

"We will be contacting Everton and the PFA about their responses in providing support to Ross and his family," they said.

BBC Sport has contacted Everton and Barkley's representatives for comment.
nil satis nisi optimum

The Stallion

Seems to be an awful lot of people being outraged about a paper they claim not to read. Apparently quite a few have chosen to read this Sun article at least.

imtommygunn

Mackenzie has been suspended.

By his boss who let the article through inthe first place....

I really wish people would stop buying that and the daily mail.

Hotrocks

Stallion back looking attention! Ignore! Poor lad must have a lonely life.

How Mc Kenzie gets employed is beyond me.

The Stallion

Perhaps you should follow your own advice and ignore my posts.

Hectic

To pull out the racist card in this instance is wrong. It is subjective and turns it into a debate about the implication of one sentence in what was an overall disgusting attack on a young man whose crime is being a public figure.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hectic on April 15, 2017, 09:05:23 AM
To pull out the racist card in this instance is wrong. It is subjective and turns it into a debate about the implication of one sentence in what was an overall disgusting attack on a young man whose crime is being a public figure.

I don't think McKenzie meant to be racist, although his constant jibes at Liverpool and it's inhabitants says more about the odious p***k that he is.
It's time the PFA stood up for it's members and canvas it's members to not give interviews to the Sun and it now should be a given that Everton ban them as well.

laoislad

Quote from: johnneycool on April 15, 2017, 12:48:33 PM
Quote from: Hectic on April 15, 2017, 09:05:23 AM

I don't think McKenzie meant to be racist, although his constant jibes at Liverpool and it's inhabitants says more about the odious p***k that he is.
It's time the PFA stood up for it's members and canvas it's members to not give interviews to the Sun and it now should be a given that Everton ban them as well.
They have.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.