The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

brilliant season, most points since 1987. some brilliant football played throughout the season. Roberto has been a breath of fresh air. hopefully we can add to the squad and push on from this next season. 'allez, allez, allez ooh, everton fc, roberto's blue army'.
nil satis nisi optimum

Fuzzman

Were any of ye over this year at a game?
I was lucky enough to go to the Arsenal home game with my 2 oldest kids (6 and 5) along with another lad with his 2 kids. Great day all round except Dublin beat Tyrone and we missed out on the league semis

I have to be honest though I was delighted Liverpool didn't win the league despite us playing well v City. They were probably the most entertaining team all year but with 2 brothers Pool fans you will have to excuse my anti Liverpool bias.
If you read the Liverpool forums after the Everton v Man City game they would soon change your mind as well.
Had they won it they probably would have got stronger but now the talk is will Suarez now move to  Madrid or somewhere else? If he does they'll not do as well next year.
Lukaku did well to score 16 goals as is the best striker we've had in years but my God he's got a brutal touch and doesn't like running too much. Unlike Naismith he's not a grafter and I'd be happy if we signed someone like Bony or Remy instead but can't see us having the funds as usual
I think Barkley is totally over-rated and is lucky he is going to the World Cup. He goes missing a lot in games but every so often has that moment of magic like the goal v Man Shitty

imtommygunn

Was at the spurs game. It was a poor enough game which should have been won only for Lukaku getting injured( which was kind of his own fault)

Having been at a good few Moyes games(probably 6 or 7) - and I'd have a lot of respect for what Moyes did during his time - I thought the standard of football was a step above what we had previously.  There's a lot more movement, a better standard of passing and the standard of the players in general seems to be that bit better. Mirallis not being so injury prone this year has been a massive bonus.

Lukaku I would agree is very very raw. He scores a lot but there's a lot of ball bounces of him as you say. Still I really hope we can get him.

Barkley is good. He dipped a bit more towards the end of the season. To me he was the reason Chelsea beat us ast Chelsea but he seemed to grow in confidence from the arsenal cup game when he did that great run for the goal. I thought how he picked himself up was a good sign.  IN the spurs game I went to he was a sub and the difference he made to the team was massive. He adds an attacking side very few midfielders do. Still a lot to learn mind you and hopefully doesn't suffer from the english hype bandwagon.

Over the year 5th was about right based on the squad but on the best 11 I think we're top 4. We just don't have the cover. The liverpool game was a blip but exposed that the likes of Alcaraz just isn't cutting it . The contribution of Distin cannot be overstated with the ground he covers. Two or three of those goals against LIverpool just wouldn't have happened with him there. 

Plusses...
Mirallis fitness
Naismith's improvement was fantastic - went from a nobody to a guy who should probably start, or at least play, every game.
Stones , Barkley and Coleman development.
Martinez and his positive attitude.

Minuses
need more cover
we should have beat liverpool the first game.
Martinez was great but against man city and palace he set us up wrong

I think there will be some pressure to sell some players this summer as there will be plenty come in.

Fuzzman

It's been a quiet summer on the transfer front with our noisy neighbours spending crazy money again.

It looks like Lukaku is finally coming though which I am very relieved at.
Whilst at times he's a lazy sod and he doesn't like the long ball over the top he still manages to get a good goal ratio most seasons and I suppose unless for a disaster we'll end up making money on the guy when he wants to go

This young lad Besic seems a decent player as well having marked Messi very well I believe in the WC. That's him, Barry, McCarthy and Gibson all bought now to replace Fellani. Not bad business. The way we allow our two full backs to bomb forward we need two good defensive MFs to mind the shop.

RM seems to be buying a lot of good young players and not just buying any old player just for the sake of it unlike the red shite  :o

SHEEDY

good couple of days! barkley signing a new deal was really important for the club, for the present and the future. haven't seen much of besic but he is supposed to be a real player. the signing of lukaku is a real signal of intent and a real boost for the fans. roll on the new season.
nil satis nisi optimum

johnneycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 30, 2014, 10:02:54 PM
good couple of days! barkley signing a new deal was really important for the club, for the present and the future. haven't seen much of besic but he is supposed to be a real player. the signing of lukaku is a real signal of intent and a real boost for the fans. roll on the new season.

McGeedy needs to get off to a flyer in the PL or a new attacking threat will be needed along with Lukaka, Miralles, Kone if he's fit, the big long Traore lad and Naismith who's a tryer but just lacking that finishing Everton need to suppliment the big lad.

manfromdelmonte

We've definitely been more sensible than the noisy neighbours

some real duds being bought. Origi for 10 million?

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 31, 2014, 10:25:57 AM

One for the future..

quit yo jibbajabba

is that Origi who started ahead of lukaku in the WC....
could turn out to be a "dud" alright, but lets not just write off the youngster yet ;)

laoislad

Your 'Noisy Neighbors' will be even more noisy on Tuesday and Wednesday nights
http://youtu.be/BgomX3qD-iA
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2014, 10:34:13 AM
Why do you think they've loaned him back to Lille?

Because Lille requested it as part of the deal

AZOffaly

Very good :) Remind me of Everton's recent trophy haul again?