The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

brilliant win. great to see the look on moyes face at the end.  ;D ;D
nil satis nisi optimum

Apparently so

Always said Martinez was a brilliant manager. Doing brilliant while playing very good football. Good to see both Merseyside clubs doing well and playing good football

johnneycool

Quote from: Apparently so on December 05, 2013, 12:24:17 AM
Always said Martinez was a brilliant manager. Doing brilliant while playing very good football. Good to see both Merseyside clubs doing well and playing good football

Great win and whilst Manu had a good few chances, so did Everton, it wasn't the normal case of holding on for grim death and hoping for a corner or something to score from.

I think Martinez is doing well with the good footballers he inherited, I'll reserve judgement until he's to go and get a replacement for Distin who's touching 35 IIRC. Moyes rarely bought a bad defender apart from the lad who couldn't head the ball from Denmark..

Crete Boom

Quote from: johnneycool on December 05, 2013, 09:19:43 AM
Quote from: Apparently so on December 05, 2013, 12:24:17 AM

Great win and whilst Manu had a good few chances, so did Everton, it wasn't the normal case of holding on for grim death and hoping for a corner or something to score from.

I think Martinez is doing well with the good footballers he inherited, I'll reserve judgement until he's to go and get a replacement for Distin who's touching 35 IIRC. Moyes rarely bought a bad defender apart from the lad who couldn't head the ball from Denmark..

Yeah Distin will need to be replaced  sooner rather than later but I think we already have options with Barry (if he makes his move permanent) , Shane Duffy, Josh Stones and Alcaraz but all of them would be fairly unproven in my eyes. Plenty of good centre backs around though and if next summer is anything like the business we did this summer Roberto will do okay.
I really hope we get McGeady in the Jan window because he will cost a pittance and give us some real pace on the wing we haven' t had in a while to agument Baines and Coleman. We could also do with a viable 10 or 11 goal a season striker to back up Lukaku for the second half of the season as well as I think Jelavic will be heading out the door to Hamburg by the looks of things and Kone will have to have at least 10 thousand chances to score 10 goals in any season!! >:(

Fuzzman

Martinez has already done a great job and I have to admit I was a doubter when he first joined.
He seems to really focus on the positives all the time and the main thing he's given the players is the freedom and confidence to go out there and play and not be fearful of making mistakes which many were scared of doing under Moyes.

I think you'll see Alcaraz as Jag's main partner before the season is out and at 31 (same as Jags) he'll probably be here to stay for a while with young Stones his understudy should he get injured again which I fear he might. I'd say a striker will be Roberto's main focus for the January window although he might have to wait until after the World cup to get who he really wants.
Most of the fans on Toffeeweb don't think Duffy will ever make the team as he's a bit slow. I think Stones will be the third choice CH after Distin plays his last game. He's still super fast for his age though and I can see him play most of the season unless he gets hurt. He started 31 league games last year, Baines played all 38. Amazing! I wonder does Baines even want to move to Utd now when he sees them struggling this year. There could be other teams interested in him though.

Arsenal away on Sunday should be interesting but I fear it will be a step to far. We never do that well when we travel to London and I'd say we'll be a bit tired after Wed night's big effort. Hope I'm wrong.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 06, 2013, 10:41:27 AM
Martinez has already done a great job and I have to admit I was a doubter when he first joined.
He seems to really focus on the positives all the time and the main thing he's given the players is the freedom and confidence to go out there and play and not be fearful of making mistakes which many were scared of doing under Moyes.

I think you'll see Alcaraz as Jag's main partner before the season is out and at 31 (same as Jags) he'll probably be here to stay for a while with young Stones his understudy should he get injured again which I fear he might. I'd say a striker will be Roberto's main focus for the January window although he might have to wait until after the World cup to get who he really wants.
Most of the fans on Toffeeweb don't think Duffy will ever make the team as he's a bit slow. I think Stones will be the third choice CH after Distin plays his last game. He's still super fast for his age though and I can see him play most of the season unless he gets hurt. He started 31 league games last year, Baines played all 38. Amazing! I wonder does Baines even want to move to Utd now when he sees them struggling this year. There could be other teams interested in him though.

Arsenal away on Sunday should be interesting but I fear it will be a step to far. We never do that well when we travel to London and I'd say we'll be a bit tired after Wed night's big effort. Hope I'm wrong.

Maybe Martinez could get someone in on a short term deal like Defoe ( I would prefer someone more consistent) who needs game time to impress before the world cup. I fell we could do with a goal getter to come off the bench and deputise for Lukaku should he get injured!

I wouldn't take much notice of what they say on Toffeeweb/Blueroom/Grandoldteam Fuzzman when it comes to Irish players. They were screaming murder when we signed McCarthy for 13m comparing him to Joe Parkinson and John Ebrell , and Coleman was described as a pub player who shouldn't be let anywhere near the team ahead of Hibbert. I think Duffy still has potential and is at least as pacey as Jags (he had a good run at Burnley last season) but he has suffered from a horrendous run of injuries so maybe he has missed his chance! I suppose this season will tell whether he has a future or not but I would trust Martinez to give him a fair go and he is contracted till 2015.

SHEEDY

evcellent performance today. not many teams will go the emirates and outpass arsenal. well deserved point in the end, thats 4pts from 2 hard away games in 4 days. happy days to be a toffee. ;D
nil satis nisi optimum

johnneycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 08, 2013, 07:10:16 PM
evcellent performance today. not many teams will go the emirates and outpass arsenal. well deserved point in the end, thats 4pts from 2 hard away games in 4 days. happy days to be a toffee. ;D

Quite an impressive performance from the entire team, even Jagielka can play a bit of football when needed it seems, with his break up the parc to make a chance for Everton.
I thought Coleman was good yesterday.

The only difference of note is that Arsenal were able to bring on Flamini, Walcott etc, etc and we brought on delafeau, who's a clinker.. and Naismith who is found wanting at this level.

Hang on in there over this month and hopefully pick up a few decent players in the january window and a top 4 is very likely at this rate.

Crete Boom

Quote from: johnneycool on December 09, 2013, 08:50:33 AM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 08, 2013, 07:10:16 PM

Quite an impressive performance from the entire team, even Jagielka can play a bit of football when needed it seems, with his break up the parc to make a chance for Everton.
I thought Coleman was good yesterday.

The only difference of note is that Arsenal were able to bring on Flamini, Walcott etc, etc and we brought on delafeau, who's a clinker.. and Naismith who is found wanting at this level.

Hang on in there over this month and hopefully pick up a few decent players in the january window and a top 4 is very likely at this rate.

If we can keep our luck with form and injuries we have certainly got one of the easiest Christmas schedules I can ever remember ,
Dec 14 th home v Fulham , 22nd away v Swansea , 26th home v Sunderland , 29th home v Southampton , Jan 1st away v Stoke , Jan 11th Jan home y v Norwich  and Jan 20th away v West Brom before we go to Anfield on the 1st of Feb!!

I see we are being linked with stirkers Matais Suarez and Alfred Finnbogason. I don't know much about them but googling Suarez he seems to be highly rated , have a solid goal scoring record for Anderlecht but be a bit injury prone and Finnbogason had scored 100 goals in 161 apps albeit in the Dutch and lower leagues. Also Martinez must be reading your posts Fuzzman as we are linked with young Dundee center half Jonathan Soutar.

Fuzzman

Watched the game yesterday in the pub with an Arsenal mate and yet again thoroughly enjoyed the experience. El Roberto surely has them playing with NO FEAR and you can see in the first half especially how comfortable they are in possession and bossed Arsenal on their own patch. I think they had over 60% possession in the first half although not that many clear cut chances.
I don't think Lukaku is as sharp as he was when he first started with us but he's still a major goal threat and is a very powerful centre forward.

When Delboy came on I said to my mate watch this talented little wizard and his pace but too often no final product. He sure made me eat my words there thankfully to my mate's disgust. Either team could have won it and probably Arsenal had the better clear cut chances but to go there and put on such a performance is very heartening.

I see there is an option to extend Deulofeu's loan for a second year if Barca don't need him back which would be amazing. He's just one of those very exciting skillful players who has pace and can just spring past players at his ease. Roberto says he's very arrogant in a good way which is what you need to succeed at this level I suppose.
Of course the English medja are raving about Barkley and how he could be there best player at the world cup if he continues to improve.
McCarthy really has become our main engine room midfielder now with so much hard work and tackling. He's not the most creative player on the park but along with Barry they've formed quite a formidable Mf partnership.

I see Wenger was complaining about some GAA tactics being used yesterday. Where Everton pressed them high up the pitch but if they broke through then they would be cynically pulled down by tactical fouling.

I must say I'm enjoying being an Everton fan for the first time since the 80's when I was a bit too young to appreciate the good days. I can't wait until the next game and might even take a spin over for a game in the new year.

Having spent the last year or so bemoaning Tyrone's negative defensive tactics and missing how we used to tear teams open I am glad that my second team are helping to fill the void.
Should we compare Moyes to Mickey Harte. They are some similarities alright but I prefer how Mr Martinez likes to take risks and focus on the positive side of things. He even said at the weekend he'd rather lose playing good football than win playing ugly.

January transfer window sure will determine whether we can push for 4th or not. I think we definitely need a good striker as Kone is out for the season and Jellyfish has completely gone off the boil. Can't believe a few clubs are interested in him.

Orangemac

Loving being a Toffee at the moment, actually being given praise in the media is a bit strange.

Martinez always seems to say the right thing in the press, see he came out with "why should a team that has won the league 9 times not aim for the champions league",saying and doing all the right things at the moment.

No reason with a couple of Jan signings why we can't make top 4, very little between most of the top 6 or 7 teams.

Fuzzman

I suppose ye never no in football but it would be nice to be in the top 4 if not even 2nd come Christmas. We've got some reasonable handy home ties and the teams above us have a tougher December schedule
Everton have...
Fulham home
Swansea away
Sunderland home
Southampton home

Should we not lose at home we'll have went the whole year without losing at Goodison.
In 2012 we had gone the whole season unbeaten until the final day where Chelsea won 1-2

Man City have Arsenal and Liverpool at home over the next few weeks
Liverpool are also away to Spurs next and then away to Chelsea on the 29th
Chelsea are away to Arsenal on the 23rd

It sure would be nice to replace Liverpool in the top 4 as they have 3 tough away games and Stevie G is out injured as is Sturridge.

I know it's always dangerous to speculate as football can be so unpredictable but it would be very disappointing to beat Utd away and so so well v Arsenal to then slip up at home to so called lesser sides. Teams could come to Goodison though and park the bus and hope for a 0-0.

Fuzzman

It's tough at the top.

We've beaten Stoke 4-0 at home
We've drew 1-1 away to Arsenal
We've beaten Utd 0-1 away

and now we've beaten Fulham 4-1 at home yet we're still only bloody 5th in the table.
Man City & Liverpool have really upped their performances of late as well.
With City drawing Barca in Europe you would imagine they too will soon have no more mid week games to worry about though Arsenal might also have the same if they lose to Bayern.

Away to Swansea next which has been a good venue for us over the last few years. A lot of talk about McGeady coming to us next year.

SHEEDY

not only have our results been impressive the performances have been equally as good. the goals are being shared around which means we aren't as dependant on lukaku and with Swansea away, sunderland home, Southampton home, stoke away and then Norwich home we have the chance to get a decent points tally by the new year. but being a pessimistic blue I reckon we'll probably get 5 draws. ;)
nil satis nisi optimum

Walter Cronc

Regarding the sacking of Steve Clarke and WBA struggling to recapture last seasons form I was wondering how influential Lukaku and his 19 goals were. I'm not saying Everton are WBA but could they struggle if/when Lukaku returns to Chelsea.