A question for non-Dublin parents living in Dublin.

Started by The Hill is Blue, September 02, 2017, 12:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

In the run-up to the All Ireland final most Dublin schools will be displaying blue banners in support of the county team and many children will be wearing Dublin colours. Does anyone feel that this is acceptable or is it discriminatory towards children of non-Dublin parents?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

trileacman

This snowflake attitude thing is getting out of control.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mrhardyannual

I have a niece in Dublin of school-going age who will support Mayo, wear the jersey etc, when accompanying her Dad or uncle to games. I have warned her that I expect her to be in blue for the final as she's a Dub. In the same way I'd expect Dublin schools to fly the blue while at the same time making an allowance in the classroom for any child born in Mayo who has transferred in. From my experience as a teacher kids are in general more accommodating of difference than their parents.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 02, 2017, 01:11:30 PM
I have a niece in Dublin of school-going age who will support Mayo, wear the jersey etc, when accompanying her Dad or uncle to games. I have warned her that I expect her to be in blue for the final as she's a Dub. In the same way I'd expect Dublin schools to fly the blue while at the same time making an allowance in the classroom for any child born in Mayo who has transferred in. From my experience as a teacher kids are in general more accommodating of difference than their parents.

I agree 100% with your sentiments - but I have heard of a number of cases this week where parents complained to schools about the display of Dublin colours.

Personally if I lived in another county I would encourage my children to support the county in which they were living.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 02, 2017, 01:49:14 PM

I agree 100% with your sentiments - but I have heard of a number of cases this week where parents complained to schools about the display of Dublin colours.

Personally if I lived in another county I would encourage my children to support the county in which they were living.

To be honest I was hoping this was slightly tongue in cheek...sadly not.
Look if the school is in Dublin their colours fly and the kids should be encouraged to support age county of their home, and have a soft spot for their parent's home county.
If it was in Mayo those parents with concerns over Mayo colours flying would hopefully told to f off.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Not a problem many Dublin people face. If anything the opposite - children supporting and playing for their family's county, not the one they ended up in because of jobs - needs to be happening if senior IC isn't going to collapse as a fair competition under the unmovable heft of Dublin.

straightred

I'm a culchie living in dublin and my kids are all about the dubs (and rightly so - they were born here after all). You'll see kids following their parents counties but as they grow older they switch over to dublin (particularly if they are playing themselves)

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 02, 2017, 12:56:25 PM
In the run-up to the All Ireland final most Dublin schools will be displaying blue banners in support of the county team and many children will be wearing Dublin colours. Does anyone feel that this is acceptable or is it discriminatory towards children of non-Dublin parents?

Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin gets more money from the Gaa?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin gets to play all home games in the Championship?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin get to use the same dressing rooms in Croke Park?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin get to warm up under the Hill?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin have the biggest sponsorship deals?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin media singled out Lee Keegan before last years AI Final?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin have Abbotstown on their doorstep?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin is the centre where all the jobs are?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin get to play League semi-finals and Finals at home?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin have all the advantages asked above and many more?

If all you have to worry about is a few culchies waving a few flags and wearing jerseys from other counties in your schools, you have little to be concerned about.

larryin89

Absolutely no complaints on this from me.

What I do complain about is the sheer ignorance of the comments in here , some of you think you know stuff but your understanding of this subject is ignorant.   Ill give you a personal example of how it works for many people.

I  myself was born in England of Mayo parents, in fact I didnt move home till I was eleven after a few years in wicklow, but Mayo was always home, summers in Achill my fathers hime place  and supporting the county team was and still is the focal point of family gatherings cousins who were born and bred  outside of Mayo.
Now here I am living in dublin with three kids two of whom are Mayo die hards, nobody forced their hand but who the fook are ye to deny them the right to support the county they associate as their own. Its how they feel , its how it panned out, maybe if there mam had of been a GAA person they might of been dubs , unfortunately the youngest buckeen, the footballer of the house is a dub though.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

A Culchie enclave should be carved out of Dublin.  Singapore did it in reverse one time

mrhardyannual

Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2017, 05:29:55 PM

What I do complain about is the sheer ignorance of the comments in here , some of you think you know stuff but your understanding of this subject is ignorant.   Ill give you a personal example of how it works for many people.

I  myself was born in England of Mayo parents, in fact I didnt move home till I was eleven after a few years in wicklow, but Mayo was always home, summers in Achill my fathers hime place  and supporting the county team was and still is the focal point of family gatherings cousins who were born and bred  outside of Mayo.
Now here I am living in dublin with three kids two of whom are Mayo die hards, nobody forced their hand but who the fook are ye to deny them the right to support the county they associate as their own. Its how they feel , its how it panned out, maybe if there mam had of been a GAA person they might of been dubs , unfortunately the youngest buckeen, the footballer of the house is a dub though.
No problem here with any of the above and if my niece's first allegiance was to Mayo I'd be the first to applaud her ... but it's not. But I have also seen a lot of kids enjoyment of sport being ruined by parents who insist on their kids supporting or declaring for a club/county other than that which they and their friends would identify. None of which has much to do with whither Dublin schools should fly their county flag.

Syferus

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 02, 2017, 06:38:53 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2017, 05:29:55 PM

No problem here with any of the above and if my niece's first allegiance was to Mayo I'd be the first to applaud her ... but it's not. But I have also seen a lot of kids enjoyment of sport being ruined by parents who insist on their kids supporting or declaring for a club/county other than that which they and their friends would identify. None of which has much to do with whither Dublin schools should fly their county flag.

The poor things.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2017, 04:53:38 PM

Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin gets to play all home games in the Championship?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin get to use the same dressing rooms in Croke Park?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin have the biggest sponsorship deals?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin media singled out Lee Keegan before last years AI Final?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin is the centre where all the jobs are?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin get to play League semi-finals and Finals at home?
Do you feel it is discriminatory that Dublin have all the advantages asked above and many more?

If all you have to worry about is a few culchies waving a few flags and wearing jerseys from other counties in your schools, you have little to be concerned about.

Grow to f... up I am a Tyrone man and this incessant Bla Bla Bla about the Dubs and their advantages is starting to piss me off it's up to the others to find the way. By the way I hope Mayo do find it but to post this crap is just childish. The Dubs are a great side simply because they have 30 fantastic dedicated footballers who have a savage hunger for celtic crosses.

Syferus

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 02, 2017, 08:42:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2017, 04:53:38 PM

Grow to f... up I am a Tyrone man and this incessant Bla Bla Bla about the Dubs and their advantages is starting to piss me off it's up to the others to find the way. By the way I hope Mayo do find it but to post this crap is just childish. The Dubs are a great side simply because they have 30 fantastic dedicated footballers who have a savage hunger for celtic crosses.

You're not much of one if you'd defend Dublin warping the entire sport out of proportion.