Sam Maguire 2024 Group 1 - Galway, Armagh, Derry, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 13, 2024, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

I'd say it'll be tougher for ourselves and Mayo as provincial losers to pick ourselves up, ourselves especially given the nature of the defeat and the effort put in to winning a provincial. Very hard to mentally come back from that. Clare and Louth both gave encouraging performances as underdogs and will take a lot from their defeats and both have a good chance of getting out of the group.

bennydorano

Wholesale changes for Armagh v Westmeath would be madness. It really has to be a guaranteed win or the game will be well and truely up. We're well warned after last year, I wouldn't change any personnel from the weekend - injuries permitting.

See a squad of them on the beer in the Foresters in Lurgan last night, good luck to them, do them no harm.

lurganblue

Quote from: bennydorano on Today at 10:27:43 AMWholesale changes for Armagh v Westmeath would be madness. It really has to be a guaranteed win or the game will be well and truely up. We're well warned after last year, I wouldn't change any personnel from the weekend - injuries permitting.

See a squad of them on the beer in the Foresters in Lurgan last night, good luck to them, do them no harm.

Yes, was good to see.

statto

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 10:30:43 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on Today at 10:27:43 AMWholesale changes for Armagh v Westmeath would be madness. It really has to be a guaranteed win or the game will be well and truely up. We're well warned after last year, I wouldn't change any personnel from the weekend - injuries permitting.

Yes, was good to see.
Was good to see them letting shackles off. Not a fan of people bringing the children in though for pictures etc, the lads give up alot of time after games to do that for kids win lose or draw should be able to enjoy a few pints in peace after an Ulster Final. 

yellowcard

Westmeath is a dangerous match but at least we are forewarned having played them last year. It's probably the critical match in the group for us since if we beat them we are almost guaranteed last 12. Management have a big job picking the players up after Sunday now. Barring injuries or knocks I wouldn't make too many changes either given how well we played for 3/4 of the game on Sunday. Maybe just freshen the team up with one or two players. They are quite a defensive outfit as well so it could be worth starting Oisin O'Neill as we will need to be able to pick off scores from long range against them.

statto

Quote from: yellowcard on Today at 10:46:26 AMWestmeath is a dangerous match but at least we are forewarned having played them last year. It's probably the critical match in the group for us since if we beat them we are almost guaranteed last 12. Management have a big job picking the players up after Sunday now. Barring injuries or knocks I wouldn't make too many changes either given how well we played for 3/4 of the game on Sunday. Maybe just freshen the team up with one or two players. They are quite a defensive outfit as well so it could be worth starting Oisin O'Neill as we will need to be able to pick off scores from long range against them.
Quote from: yellowcard on Today at 10:46:26 AMWestmeath is a dangerous match but at least we are forewarned having played them last year. It's probably the critical match in the group for us since if we beat them we are almost guaranteed last 12. Management have a big job picking the players up after Sunday now. Barring injuries or knocks I wouldn't make too many changes either given how well we played for 3/4 of the game on Sunday. Maybe just freshen the team up with one or two players. They are quite a defensive outfit as well so it could be worth starting Oisin O'Neill as we will need to be able to pick off scores from long range against them.
Sunday was as sharp as Nugent has looked in Armagh shirt since he did the cruciate, I would have him in the mix too another player who can potentially score from distance. 

armaghniac

I presume there are scenarios where score difference could determine second and third place, so given that we have them at home then we should aim to win by more than the minimum.

I'm not sure what is the situation with Oisin O'Neill's fitness. He looked rightly in recent games, but I expect they were building him up, as he would get his place on talent. Likewise with Nugent, who is now looking more like his 2022 self.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

p3427977

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: p3427977 on Today at 12:50:48 PMWhen will the fixtures be confirmed?

The GAA are f'ing useless at planning ahead. All we have is an idea of the weekend each of the teams will be playing. It's ludicrous that they can't publish for all these group games the exact day and time they'll be played and the venues for all the netural games. It's not rocket science. It gives people a chance to plan rather than waiting until each round has been played before announcing the day and time for the next round of games. Surely that is a PR own goal? Am I missing something around that?