McGuigan's Injury

Started by phpearse, December 11, 2006, 09:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

I read this yesterday and could not believe how serious his injury was. I hope he makes a full recovery and that we see him playing football at his own high levels again. Great player and Tyrone would really struggle without him in 2007 as they did this year.

As regards to his compensation its a disgrace if its true that the Tyrone county Board or Club Tyrone have not helped him out. I know if it happened in Kerry there would be public outrage if a player was treated like that. Hopefully the negative publicity this has created might help someone to loosen the purse strings.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Billys Boots

QuoteMcGee trying to use it to further his agenda is a disgrace and typical of the gutter journalism he indulges in.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here Seanie, but McGee, very untypical as a journalist, is definitely not the sort to make something up because it suits him.  I know the man, and he's as straight as they come, probably to a fault.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

never kickt a ball

Like everyone else i would be interested in the response to this story (if there is one). I think Paddy Heaney's discussion with John Toal and how John states he was treated by Armagh County Board is very interesting. Is it only me or can anyone else draw a parallel from this story to the call by the County Secretary to make it more difficult for top players to play football in the US once their county has been knocked out of the All-Ireland championship. Maybe everyone can learn from this story because gaelic football (not just Tyrone) needs Brian McGuigan fit and well again.

paddypastit

While I appreciate that peolpe are genuine in their comments in thios regard I think one point generally rep[eated here hoping / wishing that Brian McGuigan regains full fitness for the sake of Tyrone / gealic football or because they need him is misplaced.  None of us have any right to expect anything from Brian McGuigan or any other individual in his position and nobody should put a pressure on a footballer that he is needed back.

Absolutely 100% he should be given support for any losses or costs and if he hasn't been, that is unacceptable but that does not entitle the GAA or anyone in it tio expect anything from hiom.  He has already given an awful lot and we should be greatful.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

The Bottom Brick

Anyone who accuses Eugene McGee of engaging in "gutter journalism" is obviously an idiot.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

ONeill

I was sceptical at first but Heaney's article in quick succession possibility points towards some kind of media co-operation here between player and paper. I really cannot see Heaney and McGee taking such a chance without sourcing the information firstly. I have been a member of Club Tyrone since 2002 and one of the reasons for joining was in the knowledge that I was  Supporting our County Teams... for example making sure our managers and players get what they need to perform well for Tyrone .

I await the response from the County Board, CT and hopefully McGuigan himself with interest. Good to hear, and no surprise, that Harte made sure he and his staff were doing as much as they could. Also good to here he is regaining some modicum of fitness.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

realredhandfan

At the convention last night the Mc guigan issue was touched upon.  Without going into details fopr obvious reasons it would appear that Mc guigan has been weel looked after every way possible and there is no problem the lads happy himself, this being the case, in whose interests was this to exaggerate or indeed fabricate this story?  Does it serve a particular agenda?  GPA anyone?

Bogball XV

Quote from: realredhandfan on December 13, 2006, 10:18:50 AM
Without going into details fopr obvious reasons it would appear that Mc guigan has been weel looked after every way possible and there is no problem the lads happy himself, this being the case, in whose interests was this to exaggerate or indeed fabricate this story?  Does it serve a particular agenda?  GPA anyone?
What are the obvious reasons for not going into details, John Toal did - can you at least comment on whether or not he was treated as well as Toal??

realredhandfan

the finer details I do not know, but I trust my county chairman to do things right.  I was suspicious that there were no quotes etc from the relevant parties in the papers.  To break a story like this with no quotations /evidence  renders it unstable to say the least.  My understanding is that no injured county player in Tyrone has been out any money.  If Brian or someone says something different than I will take the county board at face value.  i trust them.  Is it your business to find out by stealth how much he was earning in the first place.. absolutely not?

realredhandfan

I meant to say there until Brian or any player says anything different I trust the county board.  Not the press.

Norf Tyrone

I'd guess that our County board is one of the better ones, and player welfare was on their agenda well before it became a 'must'. I'd be very surprised if the County board nor Club Tyrone had ensured the player was looked after suitably.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

drumanee

can't for the life of me understand tyrone sitting back and not helping brain mcguigan financially especially when the insurance will eventually pay the most of the money back again.in our club we have a players fund set up where a player can go and get a scan or operation and that will be paid from the fund and when the insurance is paid this is returned to the fund for the next player.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 13, 2006, 12:09:12 PM
I'd guess that our County board is one of the better ones, and player welfare was on their agenda well before it became a 'must'. I'd be very surprised if the County board nor Club Tyrone had ensured the player was looked after suitably.
I was surprised too, what was the point of Club Tyrone if not for this type of thing?  I find the whole thing very strange tbh, I would not have thought that McGee would make this up, or even reference it without speaking to someone in the know.  However if the story was untrue I would have thought that Brian would have refuted it by now, I dunno...

Norf Tyrone

That's the thing. If the people involved refuted only the stories that were false, it would be a lot easier to spot the true ones!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

QuoteI'm not sure what you're getting at here Seanie, but McGee, very untypical as a journalist, is definitely not the sort to make something up because it suits him.  I know the man, and he's as straight as they come, probably to a fault.

I'll accept that BB's. I was probably ott about him. His Larry McGann rubbish and who he writes for probably unjustifiably coloured my opinion.

Next you may want to give the Bottom Brick lessons in how to function in a civilised society.