Leitrim V Donegal

Started by J70, June 24, 2007, 06:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: 45GoneShort on July 07, 2007, 10:13:31 PM
we didn't beat ourselves - the referee beat us  

Great atmosphere, I love being a neutral at these matches and was actually rooting for Leitrim, despite hearing that a few Ulster teams had been knocked out before this match was over.
However, I disagree with the complaints about the referee - he did very little wrong over the course of the match.  I know Leitrim were irate about him and can't really understand why.  In fact, the most questionable decision would have been the penalty that Leitrim were awarded - probably karma that it wasn't scored.

Donegal didn't seem to have improved much from the Tyrone match - dropped the ball a lot in the opening stages and there were some terrible passages from them.  However, they hung in there and live to "stumble" on.

Bogball XV

What was with the Leitrim shirts?  Have they got an away strip?

J70

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 08, 2007, 11:36:10 PM
What was with the Leitrim shirts?  Have they got an away strip?

According to the radio coverage, the teams wore provincial shirts.

BigJohnBrowne

my understanding is that Leitrim were to wear the White & blue of Connacht and Donegal the Ulster colours.  Donegal seemed to have taken exception to this and ended up in wearing a 'selective' mix that very closely resembled their normal colours. And yes I know that they wore 'Ulster' jersies but their gear was questionable.

Referee hopefully will not get a game of this level again if proper assessing is carried out.  He was not up to scratch and that was the opinion of all who had a chat with were in Carrick, Donegal supporters included.  Too old, too far away from the action and seemed to ignore calls from his linesmen & umpire - not acceptable in 2007 standards.

Any way, we lost that's it, we've pre-warned another team yet again of their weaknesses and we've set them up for further progress as they galvanise their problems just like all the others.

When will we get out of this f###g  rut.

Next Championship game is New York 2008.

Rois

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on July 09, 2007, 01:19:12 AM
Referee hopefully will not get a game of this level again if proper assessing is carried out. 

"Proper assessing" was carried out, and had you been objectively watching, over the course of the game he didn't make that many mistakes.  I have no love for that particular ref, but he didn't do as badly as is being suggested by a number of the Leitrim posters here.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteReferee hopefully will not get a game of this level again if proper assessing is carried out.  He was not up to scratch and that was the opinion of all who had a chat with were in Carrick, Donegal supporters included.  Too old, too far away from the action and seemed to ignore calls from his linesmen & umpire - not acceptable in 2007 standards.

I see my old friend Gerry Kennevy (spell) is continuing to annoy folk.

Worst ref ever!

Billys Boots

Quote"Proper assessing" was carried out

Ah c'mon Rois, if it was really proper assessment Gerry Kinneavy (or whatever he's calling himself now) would have been relieved of his duties long, long ago.  I've never seen a referee with his ability to really wind up the players on the field with his 'interpretation' of what's happening - and that alone should be enough to ensure he never gets a whistle again.  I could go on, but my point is, if the 'assessment' gives him a clean bill of health each time out, then the assessment standards/criteria are as lacking as he is.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rois

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 09, 2007, 10:21:11 AM
Quote"Proper assessing" was carried out

Ah c'mon Rois, if it was really proper assessment Gerry Kinneavy (or whatever he's calling himself now) would have been relieved of his duties long, long ago.  ...  I could go on, but my point is, if the 'assessment' gives him a clean bill of health each time out, then the assessment standards/criteria are as lacking as he is.

But surely you're not advocating that prior performances are used to judge the current one by the assessor?    That would be prejudicial, especially if he'd acted on constructive criticism from prior assessments and improved his performance.  The whole basis of assessments should be objectivity.  There is a new person at the head of assessing in Croke Park so changes are ongoing. 
I just wanted to make the point that the performance of Kinneavy on Sat night was not as bad as some Leitrim fans are suggesting.  As I said, I'm no fan of his. 

pairc sean

I think criticising Referees generally is a waste of time, BUT, Mr K was just awful. From Mc Gee went on to Maxwell, there were at least 5 occasions when Maxwell tried to put up two hands but couldn't as one of them was being held. A blind dog could have seen it. Not alone that, but on one occasion when Maxwell was in possession, he was pushed over so blatantly it beggared belief that a free wasn't given. IMHO, it was no penalty either - another awful decision.

Likewise, the amount of times that Michael Mc Guinness fouled Devenney at the other end of the pitch was incredible and Mr K kept pulling Devenney for overcarrying!! I think his days at this level may be numbered and I wouldn't imagine his assessment will make for pretty reading...

Elsewhere, I though Karl Lacey and Kevin Mc Mennamin were Donegal's standout players. For Leitrim, the 3 lads who misfired against Galway - Prior, C Duignan and James Glancy - were all excellent and repaid us in spades after poor performances the last day; it's a great trait to see in young fellas.

Overall, a terrific game. Terrific atmosphere, terrific colour, some excellent football and buckets of excitement, not to mention a great night in Carrick afterwards (depsite the defeat). Hope the Donegal's enjoyed their visit down to us.

Our day is coming....

BigJohnBrowne

Well said Pairc Sean, I concur with the above and I'm also thrilled that Sligeach have made the break through - it's some comfort to see the underdogs breaking the mould.  Leitrim in 2008. 

Billys Boots

QuoteBut surely you're not advocating that prior performances are used to judge the current one by the assessor?

I'm not Rois, you're right - I'm wondering how he continues to get through the assessment process without being called ashore.  I'm saying that his continued appointment to important games undermines the credibility of the assessment process.  Didn't see Saturday's game btw.

Rois

I know what you're saying Billy but in all fairness, it was a qualifier game, not an All Ireland final.  It would be easy to continue to condemn the man for past games but on Sat as a neutral observer, he wasn't that bad, no one won or lost based on his decisions, and I'd say that he'll continue to get mid-tier games based on that performance.

Billys Boots

It should be Junior B schoolboys' football in South Roscommon.

AhFeckRef

:(

More or less agree with Pairc Sean and BigJohn. Ref standard was poor. Think all sides agreed on that. Thought Leitrim bench were a little slow to shore up the wing when Regan was taken off injured. Donegal appeared to exploit it a few times for crutial scores.

I have to wonder about this current Leitrim setup. Over the last two games I witnessed some moments of sheer brilliance from almost every player on the field. Some of the scores from the forwards were top drawer and inspirational. Some of the defending was text book. The work rate was unbelievable. However a lot of these were just moments. A sort of glance at what they are capabale of if given the correct circumstances.

If we look back over the last year there was some classic displays. Offaly, Carlow and Roscommon in the League, The Monaghan league game was another great display but just fell short.  There appears to be strength in depth in this panel and county that's not getting tapped. A half fit Shane Canning could come on Saturday evening and make some inspirational catches and bursts forward. Why wasn't he introduced during the Galway game? Why isn't he at peak fitness, on top of his game as was evident in  last years county final?

There are some great young forwards out around the county who don't appear to be making the breakthrough onto the panel. Why is that?

While there have been great improvements over the last three years, I think it's time for a change at the top. Just like in the early 90's I think now is the time for an inspired management change. Somebody who can take things that step further. Somebody who can instill absolute self belief into this Leitrim team, because at the end of the day that killer instinct appears to be missing. I'm talking about that complete lack of respect Sligo showed for Galway yesterday. Sure they missed frees as Leitrim did when playing them, but their players simply were not willing to lose that game!!

I walked out of Pairc Sean on Saturday evening absolutely dejected, hoarse and weary but I'm sure that's nothing to what the panel felt! However I'm absolutely sure that our day will come. Just have to look at Sligo... Sure there the same standard as us!!

Believe! ;)

Rossfan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 09, 2007, 08:16:37 AM

I see my old friend Gerry Kennevy (spell) is continuing to annoy folk.

Worst ref ever!
No he's not THAT  accolade belongs to that nice man Seamus nice man Prior  >:( >:( >:( >:( The nice Laythrum nice  man
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM