Half Parishes

Started by APM, December 09, 2018, 10:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Castlerahan who won their first senior championship this year is half a parish with the other half forming as Munterconnacht in junior championship. Mountnugent in Cavan is half a parish with the other half in Meath and play as Ballinacree.

Mullinaghta and Gowna would be a small parish anyway as half it is  a lake but Gowna are a strong senior club in Cavan with an abundance of young talent at the moment so together they'd form some team.

general_lee

So what exactly is a half parish?

Rawhide

Isn't Castledawson in the parish of Bellaghy
cccc is a true supporter lol

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on December 10, 2018, 06:28:14 PM

It is  50% of a parish, whether by area or  population, I'm not sure.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Quote from: shark on December 10, 2018, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 10, 2018, 04:39:51 PM
3 clubs in the parish I'm from.

Parish sizes vary though - and that's one of the reasons why some counties don't use any type of parish rule. There are 4 senior football teams in the parish I'm from. But there are 25,000 people.

If there was 3000 in my parish that would be it.

LaurelEye

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 10, 2018, 06:10:24 PM
Castlerahan who won their first senior championship this year is half a parish with the other half forming as Munterconnacht in junior championship. Mountnugent in Cavan is half a parish with the other half in Meath and play as Ballinacree.

Mullinaghta and Gowna would be a small parish anyway as half it is  a lake but Gowna are a strong senior club in Cavan with an abundance of young talent at the moment so together they'd form some team.

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: armaghniac on December 10, 2018, 10:18:23 PM

It's neither. A "half parish"is part of a parish that traditionally would have its own church and curate. The GAA organised along parish and "half parish" lines and in many areas there were were 2 or more clubs within a parish area. I started playing with a club that was a "half parish " club though could be described more accurately as a "third of a parish" from either a population or area perspective. 

seafoid

Quote from: LaurelEye on December 11, 2018, 02:59:08 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 10, 2018, 06:10:24 PM

[img ]http://width=500]https://i.ibb.co/kgnznzv/IMG-20161106-180924.jpg[/img]

A touch of uaisleacht from Abbeylara

Far classier than St Lomans last year

Abbeylara GAA Club

@AbbeyGAA
Dec 10

Massive congratulations to our near neighbors Mullinalaghta on an outstanding achievement today in Tullamore - it was no more than you deserved and you never gave up which was the difference at the end of the...
(link: https://www.facebook.com/AbbeylaraGaaClub/posts/991199614402063)
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 11, 2018, 05:46:54 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 10, 2018, 10:18:23 PM

It's neither. A "half parish"is part of a parish that traditionally would have its own church and curate. The GAA organised along parish and "half parish" lines and in many areas there were were 2 or more clubs within a parish area. I started playing with a club that was a "half parish " club though could be described more accurately as a "third of a parish" from either a population or area perspective.

There were 5 hurling clubs in the parish of Athenry at one stage in the 50s
I think it was linked to personality clashes.
Now there is one club.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ned

Quote from: BennyCake on December 09, 2018, 10:37:25 PM
Parish teams is more of a south and west Ireland concept are they not? I can't think of any parish clubs. Usually it's a village or town club.

More than a couple in Antrim?

imtommygunn

Is creggan a separate parish to randalstown?What other ones ned? I think moneyglass is it's own?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 08:02:18 AM
Is creggan a separate parish to randalstown?What other ones ned? I think moneyglass is it's own?

Moneyglass is in the parish of Duneane, which also includes Toome/Cargin
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on December 11, 2018, 10:06:38 AM

Moneyglass is in the parish of Duneane, which also includes Toome/Cargin

Ah. Cheers. I thought Moneyglass had their own chapel so had assumed they had their own parish.

Yeah round that neck of the woods would seem to be the only place with "half parishes" I *think*. Certainly none up north antrim would have that.

Aghagallon probably on it's own unless it borders into an Armagh parish but doubt it.

Then there is of course the Belfast clubs but that is a minefield of it's own lol.

Rossfan

It's a Church area, sub division of a Parish with its own Church which used to be administered by a Curate.
Despite the " half" moniker there were usually 3 such areas in each Parish.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ned

Glenravel. Carey?