Derry are now in Division 4

Started by Seany, March 25, 2018, 08:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Hard to believe Derry will now play Division 4 football after only reaching the Division 1 final in 2014.   Maybe this fall to the lowest tier will waken them up. 

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 25, 2018, 11:56:59 PM
Hard to believe Derry will now play Division 4 football after only reaching the Division 1 final in 2014.   Maybe this fall to the lowest tier will waken them up.

If I got decent odds I certainly throw a tenner on their promotion.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

WT4E

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 26, 2018, 05:00:49 AM
All I will say is that this thread gives me again the opportunity to post one of my favourite pics up...

;D ;D

I remember a time our club manager rang Damian Cassidy looking a challenge match with Clonoe (Div 1) - we where Div 2 just been relegated from Div 1 and Cassidy told him you must have the wrong the number Clonoe wouldn't be playing Div 2 teams.

A proud Derry man in that photo - Be funny if Carlow refused them a challenge game next year as they wouldn't have much interest in playing Div 4 teams!

Farrandeelin

Surely to God Derry can call on someone like Anthony Tohill to help with some management structure within the county?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dire Ear

Taylor

Surely the players who wont play for Derry is the biggest issue here?

Off course a player has a right to play or not but if they had the best players actually playing they wouldnt be in this mess.

Players should not worry about who the manager is - they will be there long after a manager has gone

The Bearded One

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 26, 2018, 05:00:49 AM
All I will say is that this thread gives me again the opportunity to post one of my favourite pics up...

The Tyrone man in this photo looks quite content....
It is what it is. Presumably.

seanyb1

Quote from: Taylor on March 26, 2018, 10:52:19 AM
Surely the players who wont play for Derry is the biggest issue here?

Off course a player has a right to play or not but if they had the best players actually playing they wouldnt be in this mess.

Players should not worry about who the manager is - they will be there long after a manager has gone

who are the players who won't play for derry that should be?

Dinny Breen

Say a prayer for Lynchbhoy!! #gonefromtheboardbutnotforgotten
#newbridgeornowhere

general_lee

Who's the last Ulster County to play division 4? Other tan our saffron friends?

AZOffaly

Quote from: general_lee on March 26, 2018, 12:16:46 PM

Were Fermanagh down there a few years ago?

Orior

So who is to blame?

Even without the Slaughtneil contingent, Derry should have had good enough players to win promotion.

I don't know the management team, but maybe a new start is required.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 26, 2018, 12:21:51 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 26, 2018, 12:16:46 PM

Were Fermanagh down there a few years ago?

We've graced the basement more often than not in recent times appearing in Div 4 in 2008, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and now 2019.

Fermanagh played in Div 4 in 2011 and 2012.  Before that I think Cavan were in 2B in 2007.

sligoman2

Derry got beaten by a determined Sligo team yesterday.  Cathay Corey for president...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

yellowcard

Westmeath effectively threw their match against Offaly which conspired to doom Derry. I don't think they are necesarily ranked 25-32 in the country but that is where they will ply their trade next season. The League table doesn't lie as the form is based on 7 matches against teams of a similar standard however and for whatever reason that is where Derry are now. Maybe it is the wake up call that they need to get their house in order, it can't always be the managers fault.

Out of the class of 93 very few materialised into decent managers though. Tohill managed to take charge of Ireland (despite having very little managerial experience) and you would have thought that he would have been someone who could have been given a role within the county at some point.