The Béal Bocht Bowl - Donegal v Mayo, Ballybofey, March 25th, 2018

Started by IolarCoisCuain, March 18, 2018, 06:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Couldn't make Croker today to watch Monaghan beat the Dubs, but there was great entertainment and drama watching this game on tg4 and listening to northern sound. The commentator on the Cavan game won't have his voice back for a while!

J70

Quote from: highorlow on March 25, 2018, 04:49:44 PM
Quit your moaning J70. Ye got a ridiculously soft free along the sideline when we fairly dispossessed you and we would've been free to attack. All in all the ref wasn't too bad. He stamped out our cynicism early on with 3 yellow cards do we weren't let be our usual cynical selfs.

Don't know what one you are talking about. Was that free a scoring chance?

If not, then spare us. The McHugh one, the ref was a couple of feet away and should never have given it. But that's the way it goes. We got done out of a point in Kerry too due to the ref missing a double hop right before the player kicked the winning point.  Other times I'm sure we've been the beneficiaries. A year in Division 2 is probably not the worst thing for this squad anyway.

Enjoy the result.

macdanger2

Quote from: J70 on March 25, 2018, 04:40:59 PM
That f**king ludicrous free the ref gave against Mark McHugh when O'Shea pushed him over onto the ball turned out to be vital after all.

Cheers ref.

That one was extremely soft tbf. I thought the free against Andy in the same corner was a bit harsh though

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 25, 2018, 04:43:24 PM
Great point from young O'Donoghue at the end

McLoughlin will get the plaudits. But O'Donoghues Score put huge pressure on Donegal coming into the home strait.

Syferus

highorlow

I'll have to look at the McHugh foul again. I didn't notice it at the time. The foul for us wasn't a scoring chance.

Luck played a big part for us today. I thought ye played Murphy in the wrong position today considering all yer options in the middle of the field.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

whitey

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 25, 2018, 05:06:47 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 25, 2018, 04:43:24 PM
Great point from young O'Donoghue at the end

McLoughlin will get the plaudits. But O'Donoghues Score put huge pressure on Donegal coming into the home strait.

McLaughin has played on the big stage before, but being a newcomer to the team this year O Donoghues score was immense for his confidence (after the drubbing he got against Dublin)

Lar Naparka

What a relief!
I know Donegal fans will bitch about frees they should  have got or wides that should have been scores but Mayo would have equal reason to moan if the game had gone Donegal's way. No doubt the ref did his best but I can't see him getting an All Ireland to handle anytime soon.
Now that it's over and, I know Mayo weren't consistent at any time and overall, it was a bit like the parson's egg; good in places. But one thing struck me today and for me, the league brought on some o f the fringe players in a way that hadn't happened before, that I can remember anyway.
Caolan Crowe and Eoin O'Donoghue played very well today and will be serious contenders when May 13th comes around. Stephen Coen and Conor Loftus  played very well too. Can't predict what Rochy is going to start with, given the amount of injured players we have but we won't be relying on the first fifteen only.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

joemamas

Quote from: J70 on March 25, 2018, 05:01:03 PM
Quote from: highorlow on March 25, 2018, 04:49:44 PM
Quit your moaning J70. Ye got a ridiculously soft free along the sideline when we fairly dispossessed you and we would've been free to attack. All in all the ref wasn't too bad. He stamped out our cynicism early on with 3 yellow cards do we weren't let be our usual cynical selfs.

Don't know what one you are talking about. Was that free a scoring chance?

If not, then spare us. The McHugh one, the ref was a couple of feet away and should never have given it. But that's the way it goes. We got done out of a point in Kerry too due to the ref missing a double hop right before the player kicked the winning point.  Other times I'm sure we've been the beneficiaries. A year in Division 2 is probably not the worst thing for this squad anyway.

Enjoy the result.

Donegal tried to kill the clock after they went up by three, it backfired on them.
They are capable of playing great football as we saw in first half , but then the revert to that shite
Martin McHugh pissing and moaning on the radio from everything from division 1to division 4.
What a dose

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 25, 2018, 05:23:38 PM
What a relief!
I know Donegal fans will bitch about frees they should  have got or wides that should have been scores but Mayo would have equal reason to moan if the game had gone Donegal's way. No doubt the ref did his best but I can't see him getting an All Ireland to handle anytime soon.
Now that it's over and, I know Mayo weren't consistent at any time and overall, it was a bit like the parson's egg; good in places. But one thing struck me today and for me, the league brought on some o f the fringe players in a way that hadn't happened before, that I can remember anyway.
Caolan Crowe and Eoin O'Donoghue played very well today and will be serious contenders when May 13th comes around. Stephen Coen and Conor Loftus  played very well too. Can't predict what Rochy is going to start with, given the amount of injured players we have but we won't be relying on the first fifteen only.

Coen ??, are you related.

Jinxy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 25, 2018, 05:23:38 PM
What a relief!

Don't see it myself, Lar.
Loftus was excellent alright.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Minder

Very poor from McBrearty in injury time when he kicked tamely into the keepers hand, he had a couple of Donegal men in decent positions
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Jinxy

In fairness to McBrearty, he had kicked scores from more difficult positions all day.
He was entitled to go for it, he just rushed it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Minder on March 25, 2018, 05:44:14 PM
Very poor from McBrearty in injury time when he kicked tamely into the keepers hand, he had a couple of Donegal men in decent positions

Could even have recycled possession and run out the clock. Last minute of injury time. Possession is almost as important as an extra score at that stage.

Even kicking it wide would have been preferable to what he ended up doing.