the future of the Intercounty game

Started by caprea, October 24, 2017, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Zulu on October 25, 2017, 04:56:40 PM
Did you not hear tonto1888, you join them together and hey presto problem solved. I don't have the time to dismantle this daft idea but a 5 minute consideration would result in anyone realising it totally unrealistic and unmanageable.

silly me, how did I not see that was the obvious thing to do

caprea

Quote from: Orchard park on October 25, 2017, 01:21:30 PM
so the solution is to weaken Dublin to create a "level playing field"

what a load of absolute horse shite.

Where did I say that? I said the exact opposite  ???

Orchard park

Quote from: caprea on October 25, 2017, 07:03:08 PM

Cursory glancing over your very wordy piece included a piece on relocating gpos  or sacking them.......

Was the purpose of that not to weaken Dublin??

caprea

Quote from: Orchard park on October 25, 2017, 07:20:13 PM
Quote from: caprea on October 25, 2017, 07:03:08 PM

Cursory glancing over your very wordy piece invduded a piece on relocating gpos  or sacking them.......

Was tgebpurposd of that jnot to weaken Dublin??

No, I never said that's what I wanted to see. I proposed something to strengthen the rest not weaken Dublin.

Orchard park

But why not then employ  more rathrr than redeploy  existing  relatively lowly paid personnel........

LooseCannon

Quote from: Rossfan on October 25, 2017, 03:45:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2017, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 03:24:19 PM
Dublin should be split, and regional teams should be created. They go hand in hand.

What do you mean by regional teams? You think we should split Dublin, and then create teams like the Westmeath/Offaly/Roscommon Shannonsiders or something?

If they do that, they can forget about my euros. The only reason I go to games is because the players represent me or my place.
Laois/Offaly has a nice ring to it and of course would represent all 150k who live there.
Sure ye're all the same there anyway.

Could put Roscommon with Galway as sheepsh*ggers Utd.  ;D ;D ;D

caprea

Quote from: Orchard park on October 25, 2017, 07:33:38 PM
But why not then employ  more rathrr than redeploy  existing  relatively lowly paid personnel........

I'm not going to argue a point I'm not making.

Rossfan

So we can't weaken Dublin
We can't split Dublin
We can't amalgamate the weaker football Counties
We can't have graded IC football championships
Crowds are declining because  most Counties aren't and can't be competitive at any serious level
Ah well........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

caprea

Quote from: Rossfan on October 25, 2017, 07:45:42 PM
We can't split Dublin
Crowds are declining because  most Counties aren't and can't be competitive at any serious level
Ah well........

Or we can do any one of those things. We just have to make sure we pick the right one.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2017, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 03:24:19 PM
Dublin should be split, and regional teams should be created. They go hand in hand.

What do you mean by regional teams? You think we should split Dublin, and then create teams like the Westmeath/Offaly/Roscommon Shannonsiders or something?

If they do that, they can forget about my euros. The only reason I go to games is because the players represent me or my place.

+1

I'll be going to no Border Terriers (Down/Armagh/Louth) matches.

caprea

People say they would lose interest if the counties became regions.

The same people might support Liverpool and hate Everton despite not having any connection to Liverpool.

People support sports teams to break the tedium and have excitement and something to enjoy. The actual team they follow is secondary.

tonto1888

Quote from: Rossfan on October 25, 2017, 07:45:42 PM
We can't split Dublin
Ah well........

Graded IC championships isn't the worst idea I think

Cunny Funt

Quote from: caprea on October 25, 2017, 08:34:37 PM
People say they would lose interest if the counties became regions.

The same people might support Liverpool and hate Everton despite not having any connection to Liverpool.

People support sports teams to break the tedium and have excitement and something to enjoy. The actual team they follow is secondary.
Not a good example, soccer support is a hobby or to fill the void until the GAA season starts up. Anyone that gets too hot and bothered about a English team they have no connections with needs to have a good look at themselves.

Support of a GAA team is very different and a lot of the weaker counties don't get much to be excitement about while following their team yet they would prefer that to some region team...

Rossfan

An awful lot of Irish people get excited and nearly foaming at the mouth over a maky uppy rubby team from 4 Countries playing friendlies against village teams in New Zealand or Australia.
How many people were supporting Imokilly, a regional team in the Cork hurling Final? Or South Kerry?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

For al Dublin's advantaged, they can't play more than 15 players and can't "buy" in players for positions.

Their time will come to an end. When the last one-team era like this in football ended, it gave way to the most exciting 15 years in the sport's history. That's when crowds peaked.

It's all cycles.

And Dublin's cycle is coming to an end. They, once again, needed Flynn, Brogan, Connolly to win the title. They'll produce good players forever, but they'll not have 3 like that again for 20 years at least.