Old outfield players still plugging away?

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, June 22, 2017, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Just curious as to how many intercounty players still going after turning 35, who was the last outfield player to still play inter county past the age of 40?

Itchy

Tony Browne hurled for Waterford at age 41.

Lar Naparka

Last over 40s  player I remember was Billy Fitzpatrick who came on as a sub for Mayo in the drawn All Ireland semi in 1985 when he was 42. He scored a fine point that day. He was brought on again in the replay but didn't score that day.
BTW, Dublin won that game well; 2-12 to 1-07.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rrhf

I'm sure leaving Croke park that day he felt that his chances of playing in a senior all Ireland final were starting to run thin.

Owenmoresider

Linden played for Down in 2003 at 40 did he not?

ballinaman

Peadar Gardiner still starting from Crossmolina wing back at 38/39. Playing well too.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: ballinaman on June 23, 2017, 09:13:04 AM
Peadar Gardiner still starting from Crossmolina wing back at 38/39. Playing well too.

Doing well to be playing in the middle 8 at that age, had to retire into the full back line at 37, tank used to empty halfway through the second half.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 23, 2017, 09:39:40 AM

Doing well to be playing in the middle 8 at that age, had to retire into the full back line at 37, tank used to empty halfway through the second half.

Not so sure. At that age you are sure to have lost speed and power, but with the correct training you can hold on to your cardiovascular fitness well in to your 40's. Mid 30's myself and still able to go pretty well (by my standard) around the middle 8, but I wouldn't have a hope from a standing start in the full back line.
In 5-10 years time I don't think we will see any intercounty players in mid 30's.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 09:57:04 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 23, 2017, 09:39:40 AM

Not so sure. At that age you are sure to have lost speed and power, but with the correct training you can hold on to your cardiovascular fitness well in to your 40's. Mid 30's myself and still able to go pretty well (by my standard) around the middle 8, but I wouldn't have a hope from a standing start in the full back line.
In 5-10 years time I don't think we will see any intercounty players in mid 30's.

Haven't lost much speed actually, concentrate on explosive stuff in the gym plus I'd be going from a rolling rather than a standing start. The benefits of being a forward in a previous life is knowing where the danger is and where the forward wants to run to.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 09:57:04 AM

It is getting rarer all right, sad to see how some players lose their legs completely in there early 30s. Seeing Tiernan McCann ghost by Karl Lacy (only 32) is a case in point. The oldest Dub is Bernard Brogan at 33, Mayo have Andy Moran at 33, Tyrone have Sean Cavanagh at 34 while Kerry's oldest is Donaghy at 34 as far as I can see. So there is no real elder statesman in any of the top teams. Cork have Donncha O'Connor still going at 36 but that is a reflection of where they are at.
Monaghan keep their ages a secret but Vinnie Corey can't be too young now, while Dessie Mone has plenty of miles on the clock.

From a Kildare perspective we still have Eamon Callaghan coming on as a sub and he has to be at least 35 at this stage. Ollie Lyons is the only starter over the age of 30 and at 31 he has not lost an inch of pace and would be up there with the quickest players in the country still. Many others of a similar age did not age as well, whether that was down to the intense training in the McGeeney years remains to be seen. Johnny Doyle is still class at club level at the age of 39.

Owenmoresider

Come to think of it, half of our backline from last Saturday's qualifer are each around the 35 mark, and Breheny at CHF is 36.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 23, 2017, 07:37:11 PM
Come to think of it, half of our backline from last Saturday's qualifer are each around the 35 mark, and Breheny at CHF is 36.

Ross Donovan can't be young now, what age is Brendan Egan too?

Another question would be when was the last time a father and son both played on the same inter county team?

shark

For Westmeath Denis Glennon (33) is the oldest with the footballers and had only missed 1 year since 2003. With the hurlers Brendan Murtagh is still going at 35. I reckon he probably made his senior debut as a minor, which would have been 2000. Can't be sure though.

It's funny though, I've noticed most of the senior club teams in the county have got older in the past few years. Which goes against the trend at county. May be an outlier though.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 23, 2017, 07:46:12 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 23, 2017, 07:37:11 PM

Ross Donovan can't be young now, what age is Brendan Egan too?

Another question would be when was the last time a father and son both played on the same inter county team?
Both are 34/35 anyway, Donovan was last U21 in 2003 I think, Egan maybe had another year after that, Harrison would be 35 also.