John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

larryin89

Just have to accept everything in here eventually leads to Roscommon.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

QuoteJust have to accept everything in here eventually leads to Roscommon.

Report to moderator     Logged

Not a sheep stole in Castlebar since 1986.

Much like every post you make, I guess, Larryin.

Rossfan

Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2014, 08:45:55 PM

Ah sure ye feckers have to pass through Roscommon to get anywhere  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on September 02, 2014, 09:44:32 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2014, 08:45:55 PM

Ah sure ye feckers have to pass through Roscommon to get anywhere  ;D

Sure, we go through Roscommon every time we meet them, don't we? ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rrhf

Rory Gallagher and malachy o rourke double act would get ye over the line.

rodney trotter

Tony McEntee being mentioned as a name in the mix

Syferus

Reckon ye gave up on Johnno too fast. Third time's the charm.

macdanger2

rodney trotter

He was mentioned along with McStay during an interview with Aidan O 'Shea 
http://t.co/qqtKfZhO7x

Over the Bar

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 02, 2014, 04:39:01 AM
One similarity between Horan and Cunningham this year was their failure make a switch despite glaring problems at full-back, which certainly in Mayo's case cost them the game. Ronan Burke v Seamie Callanan and Cafferkey v Donaghy were two of the biggest mismatches your likely to see and neither was remedied. In both situations, it beggared belief.

The Mayo footballers are miles ahead of the Galway hurlers though and have been one of the Top 4 for the last few years while Galway had an uncharacteristically good year in 2012 and have been way off since. Horan prepares his teams really well but he has more to work with. Cunningham had the Galway team giving it absolutely everything this year but the quality wasn't there. Who of the Galway players would make the Kilkenny or Tipp teams? Joe would and you could make a case for Brehony, Andy Smyth and Johnny Glynn  but that's about it. Horan turned Mayo into an elite team but if he'd been tactically better they'd have a couple of All-Irelands to boot.

From what I can recall of their All Ireland losses, there wasn't much wrong with the tactics, rather time after time Horan was let down by his players, especially the forwards. Some of their shooting in the AIFs was atrocious, and it was usually after playing perfect football in the semi final. In a way, Horan reminds me a lot of James McCartan in that he had most of the players buying in some of the time, instead of all the time.
McCartan, like Horan, did a hell of a lot in saving his county's football team, but, for some reason the conviction was not quite 100%. I thought both men weren't bad for the tactics.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Syferus

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 02, 2014, 11:28:29 PM
One similarity between Horan and Cunningham this year was their failure make a switch despite glaring problems at full-back, which certainly in Mayo's case cost them the game. Ronan Burke v Seamie Callanan and Cafferkey v Donaghy were two of the biggest mismatches your likely to see and neither was remedied. In both situations, it beggared belief.

The Mayo footballers are miles ahead of the Galway hurlers though and have been one of the Top 4 for the last few years while Galway had an uncharacteristically good year in 2012 and have been way off since. Horan prepares his teams really well but he has more to work with. Cunningham had the Galway team giving it absolutely everything this year but the quality wasn't there. Who of the Galway players would make the Kilkenny or Tipp teams? Joe would and you could make a case for Brehony, Andy Smyth and Johnny Glynn  but that's about it. Horan turned Mayo into an elite team but if he'd been tactically better they'd have a couple of All-Irelands to boot.

From what I can recall of their All Ireland losses, there wasn't much wrong with the tactics, rather time after time Horan was let down by his players, especially the forwards. Some of their shooting in the AIFs was atrocious, and it was usually after playing perfect football in the semi final. In a way, Horan reminds me a lot of James McCartan in that he had most of the players buying in some of the time, instead of all the time.
McCartan, like Horan, did a hell of a lot in saving his county's football team, but, for some reason the conviction was not quite 100%. I thought both men weren't bad for the tactics.

That Mayo team were incredibly consistent. The conviction or the application was rarely at fault under Horan, sadly. Almost no comparison to how inconsistent Down were under McCartan. For me the best comparison is with McGuinness. Mayo and Donegal mirrored each other hugely in their rises and how the manager moulded a panel of players together.

Tactics and substitutions indeed sunk Horan in both AI finals.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2014, 11:32:39 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 02, 2014, 11:28:29 PM

That Mayo team were incredibly consistent. The conviction or the application were never at fault under Horan, sadly. Almost no comparison to how wildly inconsistent Down were under McCartan. Tactics and substitutions indeed sunk Horan in both AI finals.

Fair enough - all I know is that the last two finals I watched with Mayo in it, I knew after fifteen minutes they were beat, firstly because their free takers missed simple scores, and also their shot taking from free play.
The similarity I was making with Down was that on any given day, both teams seemed to be able to compete with anyone if they put their mind to it, and play superb football.
In no way am I saying that Down had the calibre of players that Mayo had (although Down did beat them in Div 1!) but I always felt similar sympathy for both men trying to explain defeats when it was the players who had messed up.
No manager can prepare for basic errors.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

macdanger2

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 02, 2014, 10:38:13 PM
He was mentioned along with McStay during an interview with Aidan O 'Shea 
http://t.co/qqtKfZhO7x

Ah right, I heard that - they mentioned them in reference to Kieran Shannon's article in the examiner. Was hoping you had heard it from somewhere more substantial!!

Msgr. Horan

Pat Holmes has ruled himself out according to the Mayo news. hasnt the time apparently.
one horse race so, although our chairman has said it'll be the same process as the last time, which was:
subcommitee setup, was leaning towards Tommy Lyons as our chairman thought he was the man, lots of banging on tables and eventually Horan was reluctantly given the job.
Yes, indeed, it'll be John Maughan with Mickey Moran as water carrier, all our 00 nightmares rolled into one.