John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Asal Mor

One similarity between Horan and Cunningham this year was their failure make a switch despite glaring problems at full-back, which certainly in Mayo's case cost them the game. Ronan Burke v Seamie Callanan and Cafferkey v Donaghy were two of the biggest mismatches your likely to see and neither was remedied. In both situations, it beggared belief.

The Mayo footballers are miles ahead of the Galway hurlers though and have been one of the Top 4 for the last few years while Galway had an uncharacteristically good year in 2012 and have been way off since. Horan prepares his teams really well but he has more to work with. Cunningham had the Galway team giving it absolutely everything this year but the quality wasn't there. Who of the Galway players would make the Kilkenny or Tipp teams? Joe would and you could make a case for Brehony, Andy Smyth and Johnny Glynn  but that's about it. Horan turned Mayo into an elite team but if he'd been tactically better they'd have a couple of All-Irelands to boot.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 02, 2014, 09:31:19 AM
Nice piece of writing from Kieran Shannon..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/kieran-shannon-farewell-james-but-your-mayo-marvels-will-finish-the-job-284511.html

Nice one Dinny. I really hope we don't mess up the appointment of Horan's replacement. In fairness to James he put the structures in place now for the next man and there is no need to go into his tactical limitations as what he achieved far outweighs the mistakes he made in the big days.

I have heard the loose talk on some other sites about getting a big outside name like Jack O'Connor but I think that would be a disaster for us and Jack or any other big name outside manager. Anyway the only outside man I would really want would be Tony McEntee but the piece above spells out why this unfortunately can't happen at the moment.

I suppose the old reliables of Maughan , Tommy Lyons and Antony McGarry will be in the contest but have had their shot so please no!!!!

Pat Holmes would have a good case but I think he would be too similar to Horan and in my eyes shares the exact same weaknesses and strengths so it would be a case of different person same message which won't work at this stage.

I think Kevin McStay is the front runner with Noel Connelly his main challenger. Enda Gillvary will be wanted by some but I would prefer to let him stay another year with the minors then maybe progress to the U21's for a few years before pushing him into the top job. Maybe someone like Mickey Moyles or Dennis Kearney should be considered as they have solid cv's at this stage while not being celeb names and maybe Peter Forde has something to offer along with being very experienced although not many County Board men would want him after his perceived betrayal of them as captain in 1992!!

Let's just get the right man to move us on a bit while bringing a bit of a more tactical slant to how we set up (defensively and offensively) and not some hero to drive us up the summit. We have the talent to bring through and a solid base to work off so let's hold our nerve and get this right.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on September 02, 2014, 12:19:39 PM
That's two jobs too many.

Amen brother. The only downside to the 3 thrilling semi finals was listening to him and Marty spoof on. Relentlessly.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 02, 2014, 12:24:27 PM

Amen brother. The only downside to the 3 thrilling semi finals was listening to him and Marty spoof on. Relentlessly.

He is absolutely sh*t, how does he get get pundit gigs? How does he get coaching gigs? I watched on Sky because of him.

Hopefully he'll get the Dublin job again.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 02, 2014, 12:34:34 PM

He is absolutely sh*t, how does he get get pundit gigs? How does he get coaching gigs? I watched on Sky because of him.

Arrah, he's not all bad.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2014, 04:51:41 PM

Arrah, he's not all bad.

Which one is Rossfan?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2014, 05:51:32 PM

Arrah, he's not all bad.

Which one is Rossfan?

The baldest one.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2014, 06:08:13 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2014, 05:51:32 PM

Arrah, he's not all bad.

Which one is Rossfan?

The baldest one.
Céad míle fiacla

Rossfan

Take down that effin picture Syfín.
No need to remind us of those awful days. ( I know you don't remember them after all you were only 3 then)
I've come out in a big rash just seeing him with the oul Ros crest  :'( :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on September 02, 2014, 07:38:54 PM
Take down that effin picture Syfín.
No need to remind us of those awful days. ( I know you don't remember them after all you were only 3 then)
I've come out in a big rash just seeing him with the oul Ros crest  :'( :'(

who are they carr aside that is. and yes he talks about 3x too much as a co commentator