Ulster Minor Football Championship 2013

Started by drici, May 14, 2013, 12:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Syferus on May 21, 2013, 12:45:47 AM
Caaaavan have to be looking at the draw now and thinking if they stay focused they can at least make the Ulster final/AIQF.

There is are only two A's in Cavan. Your constant idiotic spelling of Cavan on every thread you post it is tiresome and far from being funny is a measure of the low level of wit you possess.

I think Westside and Tommy were at bit harsh on you there Dougal, I can imagine you are very disappointed for your son. Who wouldn't be. Knock out football can be very cruel.

Dougal Maguire

I think Westside is still affected by the antics of the slabbers he was surrounded by at the match. Mind you my lad not as disappointed as he was last year. He's playing senior football for the club and that seems to mean as much to him. Your comments are much appreciated and I wish both your teams all the best. Have a lot of time for the place and its people after 3 very enjoyable years at the Fleadh
Careful now

PAULD123

Dougal,

I have sympathy for your lad. Not so much because he was knocked out of a knock out competition, but more because it is unfair it is knock out at all.

Firstly not all provinces operate the system Ulster do, in Munster & Leinster there is a first-round second chance route. The system should be the same everywhere because then even if it harsh it is harsh for everyone. It is completely against GAA principles that your lad faces only playing one match because he is from Ulster but would be guaranteed at least two if he was from Munster or Leinster.

Secondly in order to encourage and improve lads it makes no sense to only give them one game. There is no good reason why the senior and minor competitions must mirror each other exactly. A two-group round robin would make much more sense and would still allow the minor matches to compliment the senior games but with some extra games played in-between. It would mean the Ulster minor championship would guarantee these lads, who have sacrificed so much, at least 3 games. Basically the McCrory Cup structure would be the most suitable I think.

Finally as a province our system shoots itself in the foot. If a top class minor team has a bad day they are out and we have potentially lost the best team to represent our province in the All-Ireland series. Other provinces legislate for a fluke defeat with a second chance, we do not.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 21, 2013, 08:43:56 PM

I think Westside and Tommy were at bit harsh on you there Dougal, I can imagine you are very disappointed for your son. Who wouldn't be. Knock out football can be very cruel.

All i was saying was that it was an achievement itself to be on two County Minor panels.

rodney trotter

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 22, 2013, 12:16:16 PM
Dougal,

I have sympathy for your lad. Not so much because he was knocked out of a knock out competition, but more because it is unfair it is knock out at all.

Firstly not all provinces operate the system Ulster do, in Munster & Leinster there is a first-round second chance route. The system should be the same everywhere because then even if it harsh it is harsh for everyone. It is completely against GAA principles that your lad faces only playing one match because he is from Ulster but would be guaranteed at least two if he was from Munster or Leinster.

Secondly in order to encourage and improve lads it makes no sense to only give them one game. There is no good reason why the senior and minor competitions must mirror each other exactly. A two-group round robin would make much more sense and would still allow the minor matches to compliment the senior games but with some extra games played in-between. It would mean the Ulster minor championship would guarantee these lads, who have sacrificed so much, at least 3 games. Basically the McCrory Cup structure would be the most suitable I think.

Finally as a province our system shoots itself in the foot. If a top class minor team has a bad day they are out and we have potentially lost the best team to represent our province in the All-Ireland series. Other provinces legislate for a fluke defeat with a second chance, we do not.

They start the Ulster Minor League very late, by the time its over the Leinster Minor Championship is well up and running. If they wanted to play back door in Uster they would have to start the Ulster Minor League a lot earlier, The LC is another factor

They should have the same system in all the provinces either straight knock out or else a back door system.

Munster has quite a strange system & of no benefit to win a game in that Province. Cork going out this year, and Kerry still in the championship

nrico2006

Dougal,

The inconsistent structure of the minor championship really annoys me and I can't understand how this has been allowed to go on year after year.  In 2009 Armagh won the AIM after rather luckily beating Tyrone in Ulster when Tyrone were probably the best team in Ulster that year - no second chance there.  Last year Kerry must have lost 2 games and were still in the competition.  Something needs to be done about this soon.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mackers

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2013, 01:15:31 PM
In 2009 Armagh won the AIM after rather luckily beating Tyrone in Ulster when Tyrone were probably the best team in Ulster that year - no second chance there.
That Armagh team went through the whole year unbeaten.  I think that they proved that they were the best team in Ireland in 2009.  Last year's Armagh minor team would have benefitted from a back door system.  They were very unlucky to be beaten by a very good Tyrone team in the first round.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: mackers on May 22, 2013, 01:41:22 PM
In 2009 Armagh won the AIM after rather luckily beating Tyrone in Ulster when Tyrone were probably the best team in Ulster that year - no second chance there.
That Armagh team went through the whole year unbeaten.  I think that they proved that they were the best team in Ireland in 2009.  Last year's Armagh minor team would have benefitted from a back door system.  They were very unlucky to be beaten by a very good Tyrone team in the first round.

Was it not a penalty deep in injury team by Tasker to win it by a point??

mackers

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 22, 2013, 01:46:05 PM

Correct, but it's really stretching it a bit to say that Tyrone were the best minor team in Ulster when they were beaten by a team that went through the Minor League and Championship unbeaten.  Armagh minors outplayed Tyrone  last year for long periods but I wouldn't necessarily say that Armagh were the best team in Ulster because of that.  Even the best teams rely on luck from time to time. 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

nrico2006

Quote from: mackers on May 22, 2013, 01:58:18 PM

Correct, but it's really stretching it a bit to say that Tyrone were the best minor team in Ulster when they were beaten by a team that went through the Minor League and Championship unbeaten.  Armagh minors outplayed Tyrone  last year for long periods but I wouldn't necessarily say that Armagh were the best team in Ulster because of that.  Even the best teams rely on luck from time to time.

Maybe I was stretching it but Tyrone should have won that day, Robbie Tasker scored two penalties for Armagh with the seond one that won it for them never being a penalty at all.  My point was that Tyrone could have arguably went on and won that All Ireland if the systems in place were consistent. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2013, 02:07:58 PM
Quote from: mackers on May 22, 2013, 01:58:18 PM

Maybe I was stretching it but Tyrone should have won that day, Robbie Tasker scored two penalties for Armagh with the seond one that won it for them never being a penalty at all.  My point was that Tyrone could have arguably went on and won that All Ireland if the systems in place were consistent.  Armagh were a good enough team but going through the Ulster League unbeaten counts for nothing, especially in 2009 when Tyrones league team was probably a completely different 15 that the championship team due to St Pats and Omagh reaching the MacRory final.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on May 22, 2013, 12:48:48 PM

All i was saying was that it was an achievement itself to be on two County Minor panels.

Sound, thought you were having a go at him.

omagh_gael

Can any of the Donegal posters shed any light on your minors this year? 

AFS

Just to flip that in the other direction, are there any reasons why the minor and senior championship cannot mirror each other exactly? More specifically, why isn't there a backdoor system on an all-Ireland basis like we see at senior level?

Syferus

Quote from: Syferus on May 21, 2013, 12:45:47 AM
Caaaavan have to be looking at the draw now and thinking if they stay focused they can at least make the Ulster final/AIQF.

There is are only two A's in Cavan. Your constant idiotic spelling of Cavan on every thread you post it is tiresome and far from being funny is a measure of the low level of wit you possess.

I guess you're not a big fan of the Caaaavan man on Shannonside/Northern Sound, Myles? I'd have thought he'd have a big following in his home county.