Cheeky Dubs cash in on Xmas

Started by stephenite, November 16, 2006, 05:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Down did the same...so what.... good move by the County Board

(Never ever thought I would use those last 5 words in that order:-\)
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

The county jersey used to be sacred. The only people who ever wore one were men picked to play for the county. It was an honour and treated with respect and even awe. Now you can buy them from hucksters and every bousy, scanger and beer-bellied bosthoon is wearing one, completely oblivious of how much of a tit it makes him look and happy to be a walking advertisement for the likes of Arnotts.

Has anyone ever seen a former county player wear the jersey as clothing? Respect, ya see.

The only jersey I ever bought was a Dublin one to stuff the doormat into.

Bring back respect for the jersey and the days when men were proud to wear the proper uniform of GAA followers - peakey cap, long black coat and boots. Brown or black nail boots or black (definitely not green) wellies, optionally with the tops turned down, were all equally acceptable. What happened to style?

Northside Dub

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

tayto

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2006, 10:28:26 AM
The county jersey used to be sacred. The only people who ever wore one were men picked to play for the county. It was an honour and treated with respect and even awe. Now you can buy them from hucksters and every bousy, scanger and beer-bellied bosthoon is wearing one, completely oblivious of how much of a tit it makes him look and happy to be a walking advertisement for the likes of Arnotts.

Has anyone ever seen a former county player wear the jersey as clothing? Respect, ya see.

The only jersey I ever bought was a Dublin one to stuff the doormat into.

Bring back respect for the jersey and the days when men were proud to wear the proper uniform of GAA followers - peakey cap, long black coat and boots. Brown or black nail boots or black (definitely not green) wellies, optionally with the tops turned down, were all equally acceptable. What happened to style?

Dear jesus, would you ever relax.  :P

Nice attempted wum with the doormat bit aswell.  ;D

tayto

Michael Schmeichal

This is more GAA bashing from the Indo. A little more subtle than usual but the same old agenda. Dublin change their jersey once every 3 years while Man United/Liverpool etc have 3 new strips every year. Also as far as I know GAA jersies are considerably cheaper than soccer ones.

Hardy

tayto

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2006, 11:16:23 AM
Quote from: tayto on November 16, 2006, 10:52:18 AM
Nice attempted wum with the doormat bit aswell.  ;D
Attempted?  ;D

Yes atttempted,, I was dear jesusing at the rest of yer point, not the obvious wum  ;)

Hardy

QuoteI was dear jesusing at the rest of yer point
Exactly. Just FYI, I wasn't exactly being serious. I thought the long coats and wellies would be a giveaway ...

However, I do admit to a grain of truth in my attitude to non-players wearing the jersey and I seriously don't ever recall seeing players wearing the jersey off the pitch. Maybe I'm wrong and many do it, but I haven't seen it. Anyone?

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2006, 11:25:32 AM
However, I do admit to a grain of truth in my attitude to non-players wearing the jersey and I seriously don't ever recall seeing players wearing the jersey off the pitch. Maybe I'm wrong and many do it, but I haven't seen it. Anyone?

Don't mean to be smart Hardy but is the whole county jersey is sacred attitude not a bit precious. Surely its a good thing. Arnotts, O2, Avonmore and all the rest pay big money to County Boards for sponsorship. This money goes directly back to the grassroots. They would hardly pay the same amount if only the players were allowed wear them.

Re the players I have often seen palyers wearing county polo shirts or jackets  but never the jersey. I would say thats more to do with the fact they would feel like attention seeking gimps parading around the town in the county jersey.

dubnut

Havent seen ex players wearing it (except Maradonna in the soccer!) but in fairness to them the fans wear the jersey as a show of support.
If people didnt do this you wouldnt have the wonderful displays of colour in summer championship games.

Hardy

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on November 16, 2006, 11:37:54 AM
is the whole county jersey is sacred attitude not a bit precious. Surely its a good thing.
I suppose it is a bit precious. And there are more sacred things than that gone forever. And of course the money is a good thing and things won't change now anyway. I'm just saying how I personally feel about it. I'd never wear the county jersey because I never earned the right to wear it. Not that I'd be seen dead wearing a football jersey as clothing anyway. It's just me.

dubnut

"I'd never wear the county jersey because I never earned the right to wear it"

Ah Hardy, its not that hard to earn a Meath jersey these days!  ;)

tayto

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2006, 11:25:32 AM
QuoteI was dear jesusing at the rest of yer point
Exactly. Just FYI, I wasn't exactly being serious. I thought the long coats and wellies would be a giveaway ...

Ah, It might have been a give away but i didnt get that far, short attention span me, you see.  ;D

I know what ye mean about the grain of truth alright, it's a nice idea, but the extra colour replica jerseys bring to matches and the craic when you see someone abroad wearing one, plus the obvious extra revenue are very good counter points to balance it out.