'The dreaded cruciate'

Started by Donnellys Hollow, April 13, 2011, 01:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Paul 'Dule' Braniff wrecked his cruciate in Gaelic park, New York where they'd covered the baseball diamond in the corner with sods. He got his foot caught in it whilst being hit with a shoulder and the leg had nowhere to go. Absolute balls of a pitch and has taken a yard of pace of the lad since!

On the prevention issue, if the likes of McGeeney and others were given programs to strengthen the muscles round the knee to help partially torn cruciates, then why are these exercises not a given for people with good knees to prevent the bloody thing happening in the first place?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Banana Man on April 13, 2011, 05:43:34 PM
what can you do to build the hamstring up? is there such exercises?

You are far better off doing Nordic curls than the usual curls.

The usual weight bench hamstring curls will shorten and embrittle the muscle.

While it (hamstring curl) will help to balance the leg front/back as ExiledGael correctly points out is the cause of many ligament tendon injuries*, it will also make you more susceptible to hamstring injuries.

So do the nordic curls for hamstrings.

See here for what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMCDT4KsgM

*such as patella tendonitis.
i usse an speelchekor

BallyhaiseMan

Lads ,Hamstring Curls,Knee extensions/Leg Presses and all those machine weights in reality are not worth a shit for GAA players.

Deep squats,  Weighted Lunges,Bulgarian Split Squats, Straight-Legged deadlifts etc are the way to go to strengthen the Hamstrings and Quad muscles.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 14, 2011, 03:30:21 PM
Barrybreen, you must have caught your leg in a divot because it wouldn't have been from getting hit when you were running!

Was actually tryin to stop, bcb -  I was one of the few players in Ireland who could get injured while standing still.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Puckoon

Found this abstract on pubmed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=gaelic%20football%20and%20Cruciate%20ligament

This is interesting too - if not directly on topic, and a little out of date

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1332231/pdf/brjsmed00012-0016.pdf

Full list of published papers available on pubmed regarding Gaelic Football. Particularly liked the one regarding effect of contact sports on emergency department attendance rates...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=gaelic%20football

INDIANA

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 14, 2011, 04:13:53 PM
Lads ,Hamstring Curls,Knee extensions/Leg Presses and all those machine weights in reality are not worth a shit for GAA players.

Deep squats,  Weighted Lunges,Bulgarian Split Squats, Straight-Legged deadlifts etc are the way to go to strengthen the Hamstrings and Quad muscles.

Provided your core stability is in perfect sync. Most Gaa club players- this is not the case and the exercises you're suggesting actually cause as many injuries to the hamstrings and lower back.

I'd point out I do actually agree with you its just that with core stability chronically neglected at club level those exercises rarely get used properly.

Milltown Row2

Just more people playing nowadays, plus as someone has said more media attention. Pitches are a hundred times better than the shite ones from years ago (the 80's) Training methods are considerably better than methods used back in the day. Running up hills with your team mate on your back, running up sandy dunes!! No core training just running no diets either!!

Never had these injuries, played (still do) from juvenile through to senior in both codes and only ever had a sore leg or cramp!!

Man up lads FFS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 14, 2011, 04:08:19 PM

While it (hamstring curl) will help to balance the leg front/back as ExiledGael correctly points out is the cause of many ligament tendon injuries*, it will also make you more susceptible to hamstring injuries.

Is this not just an eccentric stretch as opposed to a strengthening exercise? (My understanding of eccentric is that it effectively lengthens muscles while the concentric stuff will contract them)

A lot of calf rehabilitation is a combination of the two.

Don't get me wrong the eccentric stuff is good but you want strenghtening too. (Strengthening  shortens muscles due to concentric nature but you combine this with your eccentric stuff to counteract this...)

The Claw

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2011, 11:02:10 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 14, 2011, 04:08:19 PM

Is this not just an eccentric stretch as opposed to a strengthening exercise? (My understanding of eccentric is that it effectively lengthens muscles while the concentric stuff will contract them)

A lot of calf rehabilitation is a combination of the two.

Don't get me wrong the eccentric stuff is good but you want strenghtening too. (Strengthening  shortens muscles due to concentric nature but you combine this with your eccentric stuff to counteract this...)
I've heard before that you strengthen more while working the muscles eccentricly? Not sure if its true. They say fast up, flow down when you are doing a bench press for example, so that you are getting the eccentric work as well.
The exercise i find useful is the one where you lie on your back with your heel on a swiss ball and you lift your arse off the ground and then roll the ball in to our arse and out again. Works the stability muscles in the hamstring, the problem with the curl machines in the gym or even the nordic curls is that they don't work on the stabilising part of the muscle.

Hoof Hearted

unfortunately there might be another high profile one after this evenings club games, but i hope im wrong.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Overthebar!

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 16, 2011, 08:09:31 PM
unfortunately there might be another high profile one after this evenings club games, but i hope im wrong.

Were your suspicions confirmed?

screenexile

Heard that too Hoof, that could end any hopes of success for Derry or the Glen! I know people say playing with the 2 Bradleys stifles us but I'd rather be without Eoin

marym

Aidan Wals too landed very badly on his knee last night. Not sure what the story is ther.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: screenexile on April 17, 2011, 09:23:12 AM

Heard that too Hoof, that could end any hopes of success for Derry or the Glen! I know people say playing with the 2 Bradleys stifles us but I'd rather be without Eoin

he was playing well, esp in the 1st half. as usual with these things it was innocuous looking, he fisted the ball and then went down in agony.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 17, 2011, 09:36:49 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 17, 2011, 09:23:12 AM

he was playing well, esp in the 1st half. as usual with these things it was innocuous looking, he fisted the ball and then went down in agony.
Paddy Bradley??