Mayo v Down Minor thread

Started by Farrandeelin, August 10, 2009, 08:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I suppose it depends on ow Mayo react to the longer break than Down had. You could put Down down as favourites for the match based on playing some breathtaking football against the Dubs and not shooting any wide only 2 weeks before their next game. However, I'm sure Ray Dempsey will be looking to guide the minors to another All-Ireland final and I wouldn't rule Mayo out yet either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Barney on August 16, 2009, 09:19:31 AM
No more than the bookies the minor football all of us have seen this year is limited.

I don't know anything about Down other than we have an awful record against them in underage football. Lost the u21 semi this year to them, and two minor finals in 99 and 2005 to them also.

This Mayo team do not appear to have any top class forward, and unless they pick it up like last years team did at this stage, they are nowhere near the quality of that team .

however, Ray Dempsey is doing a very good job at the helm and it would be nice to be involved on Final Day.

Would have to disagree there. We have at least one top class forward on O Connor. Aiden walsh too except necessity often has him grafting far from goal. It s hard to be more than hopeful with any Mayo team - especially when you see what happened to U21 and seniors when they left the province - the minors win over Tipp not withstanding.

Trevor Hill

Cracking game yesterday, thought that Down had snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again, but they battled back well. This team have come a long way, no one thought they would be in an All Ireland semi at the start of the year. While I would have Mayo as favourites I wouldnt write this Down team off either. An All Ireland Final against the Kingdom would be a nice way to end the year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Trevor Hill on August 17, 2009, 12:19:07 AM
Cracking game yesterday, thought that Down had snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again, but they battled back well. This team have come a long way, no one thought they would be in an All Ireland semi at the start of the year. While I would have Mayo as favourites I wouldnt write this Down team off either. An All Ireland Final against the Kingdom would be a nice way to end the year.

What about Armagh, and IF ye manage to beat us losing an AIF isn't too nice is it? ;)

Trevor Hill

Farrandeelin

ross4life

Quote from: Trevor Hill on August 18, 2009, 12:27:48 AM
What about Armagh?

Yes Armagh Minors looking to win there 2nd All ireland (last win 1946)

it's a shame we didn't beat kerry & then we would have the chance of revenge for 1991 vs Armagh
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

PatDaly

Quote from: ross4life on August 19, 2009, 03:35:03 PM
What about Armagh?

it's a shame we didn't beat kerry & then we would have the chance of revenge for 1991 vs Armagh

Armagh beat a Dermot Washington led Roscommon in 1992 on their way to heartbreak against Meath in the All-Ireland minor final. What ever happened to him?

Also it was 1949 exactly 50 years ago this year since Armagh won their one and only All-Ireland minor title by beating Kerry in the final

http://ulster.gaa.ie/landofthegiants/2009/06/01/moment-in-history-armagh/

macdanger2

Quote from: PatDaly on August 19, 2009, 06:29:26 PM

Also it was 1949 exactly 50 years ago this year since Armagh won their one and only All-Ireland minor title

60 years ago maybe? ;)

ross4life

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 20, 2009, 12:51:05 PM

Also it was 1949 exactly 50 years ago this year since Armagh won their one and only All-Ireland minor title

60 years ago maybe? ;)

as they say in the usa "poor math"

as for Dermot Washington he never made it as a senior because he was to small & light, one of the main worries i have about the 2006 minors :-[
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

western exile

Armagh showed their class v. Kerry.   And Down people know that they were second best to Armagh so far this year, but nevertheless would love another crack at them in the final.   Would Mayo beat Armagh?

moysider

Mayo got a good walloping from Armagh in a challenge in the Spring. I would suspect that we would have it all to do.

ross4life

After yesterdays Game Armagh will now be odds on favorites going into the All Ireland final, which is Huge pressure for under 18s to carry! there first final since 1992 i might add to ;) Mayo & Down have got to quiet a few minor finals since then & with Minor we all know you can play well one day awful the next, any of these three remaining teams are more that capable of winning the All Ireland

stew

Quote from: ross4life on August 19, 2009, 03:35:03 PM
What about Armagh?

Armagh beat a Dermot Washington led Roscommon in 1992 on their way to heartbreak against Meath in the All-Ireland minor final. What ever happened to him?

Also it was 1949 exactly 50 years ago this year since Armagh won their one and only All-Ireland minor title by beating Kerry in the final

http://ulster.gaa.ie/landofthegiants/2009/06/01/moment-in-history-armagh/

Kerry seem to be the only team we can beat in an AIF. :'(
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AFS

Quote from: ross4life on August 24, 2009, 03:34:41 PM
After yesterdays Game Armagh will now be odds on favorites going into the All Ireland final, which is Huge pressure for under 18s to carry! there first final since 1992 i might add to ;) Mayo & Down have got to quiet a few minor finals since then & with Minor we all know you can play well one day awful the next, any of these three remaining teams are more that capable of winning the All Ireland

Would be surprised if that happened this team. They're unbeaten in 12 competitive matches this year, winning the last 11.