Armagh Fermanagh game switched to Lurgan

Started by Tony Fearon, January 13, 2007, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Fearon

Davitt Park.

Great to see the County team playing in North Armagh again, at long last.By my reckoning it must be 15 or 16 years since the last competitive county game was played at the Clans pitch.

It revives memories of the famous 6 gioals against Kerry match in th early 80s (I think this is the root of Pat's dislike for Ulster Football!), and the National League visit of All Ireland Champions Offaly in the winter of 1982, and staving off relegation with a victory over Mullins and his dirty Dubs on a foul day in the winter of 1984..

Granted there is no shelter, but manys the drenching I and thousands of others got, without complaint, in the 70s and 80s.

realredhandfan

Is this part of the Football for all Armagh campaign.

Uladh

there were national league games in lurgan in the late nineties. i remember colm hanratty getting his leg broke there against donegal about 1997

David McKeown

Also played against St Mary's in the McKenna cup there a few years ago, although I think that was technically a Saint Mary's home game.

I remember at that game turning to the guy I was with and saying I wouldnt have Ronan Austin near the county panel.  Didnt think that at that minute I would be standing next to his sister and watching him kick a brilliant pass into McDonnell for the games opening goal.  Pretty poor timing on my part
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tony Fearon

I wonder will they travel up from S Armagh in the same nos as we travelled to Cross all these years.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Fearon on January 13, 2007, 01:57:06 PM
I wonder will they travel up from S Armagh in the same nos as we travelled to Cross all these years.
Why Tony how many have travelled to cross from north armagh? I take it you have the figures?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Armagh Exile

More added expense for the County Board when they have to pay the travelling expenses for the majority of players who have to travel from the Home of Gaelic Football - South Armagh.

holylandsniper

Aye and more importantly, the cross entourage, be awful for them to have to stand and aren't able to walk in 5 mins before throw in into seats that supporters have been told are unavailable.

Wow Tony, Havent heard from you in a long time! Let the slabbering begin!!

Border Fox

Those saved seats are for the 'benefactors'

Donagh

Great to see Davitt Park hosting the county team again though the sight of the County Chairman piling breeze-blocks onto the scoreboard to keep it upright at half time doesn't lead me to think there'll be another for a while.

bennydorano

Pitch itself was in fairly ggod nick considering the time of year.  I arrived just on 2pm and there was a serious crowd trying to push through the 4 open turnstiles, that was a bit shit.