Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

And to add to that I would dock points for next season. Heard on grapevine a Div 3 team threw last weekends game. Dont know if that is correct but it is certainly the rumour. If that is the case they effectively ruled out a rivals chance for promotion.

Lads train hard all year to achieve goals so if any skullduggery exists it should be punished where it hurts i.e. on next years league table.

And I exempt St Mals from criticism as their game today was a dead rubber. Had Lisburn and Glenravel been equal on score difference then points scored could have come in but that is hypothetical now.

Hectic

Scoring difference would be from the matches played between the teams level on points and not other games. If this was still even would go to points scored. In this case you would think the fairest way to do it is to remove scores against teams who did not complete fixtures against competing teams. Would depend what is written in the rules though.

delgany

There s  the thing though. There is no clear explicit rules to deal with any of these scenarios . Poor rules all round 
And definitely need updated and revised

themac_23

really we need the leagues run off before championship while all teams have some sort of interest in competitive football

imtommygunn

St brigids promoted after beating randalstown.

Hectic

Quote from: themac_23 on October 27, 2018, 02:58:21 PM
really we need the leagues run off before championship while all teams have some sort of interest in competitive football

Agreed

imtommygunn

Gorts win the league. The problem you guys talk about has been a problem for years and is really a problem in any sport. The county season is probably the thing that kills it.

Hectic

Well done GNM. And of course St Brigids.

Under Lights

Quote from: Hectic on October 27, 2018, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 27, 2018, 10:36:15 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2018, 09:15:43 AM
St malachys and dunloy have conceded so i think lisburn win 3 if i'm right? Gorts now can't get promoted so division 2 between 3 teams.

Any confirmation that they are champions?

https://thesaffrongael.com/2018/10/24/con-magees-secure-promotion/?fbclid=IwAR2vtj-HlRQw2Ajuk70JQth9QtRIxrQp-6ZG4zVrXBUxJ56mAYm-YfnHGv8

The table on the Antrim page shows Lisburn top of D3

imtommygunn

There were a few comments on facebook to suggest the article may not be right.

Hectic

My money would be on the article being correct and the table wrong having studied the rule. Hairs breadth in it. Anyone from the clubs on here able to confirm?

Hectic

Quote from: farset on October 27, 2018, 09:21:57 PM
I see. My apologies then. I just assumed they'd have it correct.

Looking through their results, they both beat each other once. Con Magees once by 5 and St Patrick's once by 4. Does head to heads go to score difference?

A Head to head outcome. B score difference in matches played between the teams. C most points for in season D play off

Hectic

Quote from: farset on October 27, 2018, 09:47:15 PM
Well then in that case Con Magee's are Division 3 league champions by one point.

My guess is that the algorithms on county table have not been expanded to include the extreme outliers. One kick of the ball over the bar is as close as you will ever get.

Hectic

And on that basis it has been a hell of a competitive season in Div 3 and an honorable mention to Ardoyne who missed out by a single victory. Hopefully we will see at least one of these clubs continuing forward like Aghagallon, St Endas and St Teresas have in recent seasons. Always good to see different clubs pushing for the top table. Healthy for the spread of interest in the county.

ned

Quote from: Hectic on October 28, 2018, 01:12:57 AM
And on that basis it has been a hell of a competitive season in Div 3 and an honorable mention to Ardoyne who missed out by a single victory. Hopefully we will see at least one of these clubs continuing forward like Aghagallon, St Endas and St Teresas have in recent seasons. Always good to see different clubs pushing for the top table. Healthy for the spread of interest in the county.

On the flip side St Paul's as a club shouldn't be in Division 3 and Ardoyne and Antrim are not far off the second teir either. Not sure the high scoring margins helps any club develop. A two section expanded second division might be healthier, leaving a six club Division three more competitive. Would advocate play offs then at end of the year between teams at either end of the divisions for right to enter the division above.