Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on October 14, 2019, 04:06:52 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on October 12, 2019, 07:35:55 PM
https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1183087525679845376?s=20

The steps rule really needs sorting out.

Or just applied by referees . . .

It should just be four seconds regardless. Tall players four steps will take you further than someone of my height! It's not fair  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Not much talk here about the new football Rules proposed for the Special Congress coming up on Saturday!!

Kick outs from the 20. The sideways kick out will come back into vogue again I fear.
"Offensive" mark. Expect some very vague measurements of 20m by Referees.
Sin Bin for black cards. Probably lead to more use of the black.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on October 15, 2019, 12:31:25 PM
Titanic and deckchairs come to mind.

There's more to GAA than the Senior Football Intercounty competitions.

Link

Does anyone know the rules about postponing a game due to injury? Is it up to the referee?

In the last week we've had 2 underage championship games in Derry with 2 lads stretchered off.

U16 semi final, 6 mins left, 1 point in it. Game called off. Post game the word is Jaw injury - not confirmed.
Minor final, 27 mins left, 3 points in it. Game continued after a 15 minute break. Post game the word is back/spine injury.

No updates on the condition of either player but I'd hope they make a full recovery obviously.

The cancellation of one and continuation of the other confuses me given the circumstances.

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on October 15, 2019, 11:14:25 AM
Not much talk here about the new football Rules proposed for the Special Congress coming up on Saturday!!

Kick outs from the 20. The sideways kick out will come back into vogue again I fear.
"Offensive" mark. Expect some very vague measurements of 20m by Referees.
Sin Bin for black cards. Probably lead to more use of the black.
gging on last year they will make little difference .
not sure about he offensive mark . I feel some half assed manger will make his nameby concentrating on it and go a long way til its found out  and hes be shown to be a one trick pony .
it should be make clear its a mark and not a free kick Ir much less time to take it  and not the full monty of a routine.
BTW who has the longest build up to a free in the current game? Murphy? dean Rock?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Link on October 15, 2019, 02:26:18 PM
Does anyone know the rules about postponing a game due to injury? Is it up to the referee?

In the last week we've had 2 underage championship games in Derry with 2 lads stretchered off.

U16 semi final, 6 mins left, 1 point in it. Game called off. Post game the word is Jaw injury - not confirmed.
Minor final, 27 mins left, 3 points in it. Game continued after a 15 minute break. Post game the word is back/spine injury.

No updates on the condition of either player but I'd hope they make a full recovery obviously.

The cancellation of one and continuation of the other confuses me given the circumstances.

At the referees discretion I'd assume. I'd an air ambulance called for a game, one wanted it off, and the other was willing to stay on, that was the winning team looking to stay on the pitch! I said lets give it some time, (no more than 20 mins) and it was all sorted play resummed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

five points

recyclebin

Can't believe the forward mark was passed. Teams will get even more defensive.

Sun bin will be hard to manage for the refs at club level.

Rossfan

The Club Refs will need to bring a load of alarm clocks ;D
Or as is more likely will use the black card very sparingly.
And there will be some time wasting by teams while they're down to 14 men.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on October 19, 2019, 11:31:25 PM
The Club Refs will need to bring a load of alarm clocks ;D
Or as is more likely will use the black card very sparingly.
And there will be some time wasting by teams while they're down to 14 men.

Just stop the sinbin clock if there's time wasting! ;)

Solo_run

I like the introduction of the Sin Bin but it still doesn't change the issues referees have implementing rules.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Solo_run on October 20, 2019, 10:04:27 PM
I like the introduction of the Sin Bin but it still doesn't change the issues referees have implementing rules.

As far as I'm concerned all this does is reduces the punishment for foul play while increasing the motivation for teams to waste time. Lunacy to think this will improve things.

Taken directly from the GAA.ie website

QuoteThe rationale behind this motion is to reduce a rise in cynical play and 'professional' fouling by implementing a penalty 'on the day' that encourages behavioural change.

The horror show that is this sentence is beyond belief - "to reduce a rise in cynical play" by "implementing a penalty 'on the day' that encourages behavioural change"

This complete and utter bullshit bingo says a world about how strong an argument whoever came up with this would be able to make as to why this rule would improve matters.

Previously if a player committed a black card offence that was the end of their involvement in the game.

Now instead for the same offences they face a maximum of ten minutes on the bench - chances are that it will be more like 6/7/8 minutes for most players and it's actually possible that if an injury occurs a player who receives a black card could miss zero actual action in a game. Think about that and what it says about how badly designed a rule this is.

I don't have any stats but I'd imagine that if you looked at when black cards were issued previously a huge majority of them were in the later minutes of games - clearly players were smart/streetwise enough to not commit offences early in games. This sin bin change reduces the disincentive to commit a pull down when a player is through on goals early on in games.

Any manager worth his salt will be telling his players - lads if a player is through on goal, one-on-one with the keeper, don't worry too much about committing a black card offence, it's far easier to cope with going down to 14 men for a few minutes compared to conceding a goal.

The rule also gives an incentive for teams to slow down play/time waste when down to 14. Expect to see players taking the maximum possible time when taking sideline balls, free kicks, kickouts plus maximising the time taken over substitutions and injuries. Super double whammy of stupid.

If you want players to stop committing cynical fouls, you need to increase the punishment for committing cynical fouls, not decrease it.

highorlow

For the sin bin the small piece I read is the player binned can't come back on. I don't think managers or players will be happy to be binned.

Maybe they  should've made it for the time it takes the unbinned team to get say 5 points or more. No time wasting then and would lead to open play. Once the team gets the 5 points or 1-2 or 2-0 then the opposition player comes back on.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

johnnycool

Quote from: highorlow on October 22, 2019, 08:30:57 AM
For the sin bin the small piece I read is the player binned can't come back on. I don't think managers or players will be happy to be binned.

Maybe they  should've made it for the time it takes the unbinned team to get say 5 points or more. No time wasting then and would lead to open play. Once the team gets the 5 points or 1-2 or 2-0 then the opposition player comes back on.

unbinned team stick to 4 points (unless they're still getting beat) and don't bother going for the extra score....

As Mr Dodds would say you can drive a coach and horses through that rule if implemented.