Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 01:06:37 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 05, 2020, 12:22:49 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 12:20:44 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on March 05, 2020, 11:18:02 AM
Quote from: highorlow on March 05, 2020, 10:58:19 AM
QuoteThe government's across the world I feel have shown a serious level of neglect. It's been a case of "oh we will do something about it when it comes here". It was always coming and they did the bare minimum.

They managed to keep the death rate so far (based on the cases reported) to 1.3% compared to 3.5% in the highly infected areas. Please expand on the neglect?

Two days ago the government were not even doing and screening tests for the virus at airports. Screening people for the virus would at least be a proactive approach.

The death rates were always going to be lower in less effected areas ffs.

How do you screen for the virus at an airport?

I thought they had to take swabs from your mouth and nose and then the tests take 4 to 5 hours.....

don't think that's practical to introduce at an airport.

They aren't screening for the virus, you have to go in front of a temperature recording device. Pretty basic considering you can have this and not show and symptoms, but what else can you do bar total lockdown of freedom of movement.

Exactly.

What they're doing is checking whether you've a raised temperature which can be caused by a myriad of issues including the common cold. Do you put people off a flight because they've the common cold?

You could be carrying the Corona virus and your temperature would be fine.

As I understand it, no country is checking temperatures on the way out. Only the way in. In line with the WHO advice that there is no issue with travel.

I flew recently and was not subject to any temperature check upon arrival back into Dublin - but I was checked upon entry to where I went.

Tyrdub

Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2020, 08:24:41 PM
More cases in the West of Ireland, 4 people all of whom were in Italy.
A least the West is getting its fair share, and Dublin is not getting it all.

That's the number of cases doubled in a day, although Italy is the main cause.

Also student in QUB likely with virus, who went to class! That could be problematic.

they didn't go to class

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Tyrdub on March 05, 2020, 04:13:39 PM

Also student in QUB likely with virus, who went to class! That could be problematic.

they didn't go to class

Never bothered much with it myself at Uni

Tyrdub

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 05, 2020, 04:16:37 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on March 05, 2020, 04:13:39 PM

they didn't go to class

Never bothered much with it myself at Uni

oh ha ha

armaghniac

Cork in on the act now, but no connection with Italy.  >:(
Seal off Munster, now.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2020, 06:54:21 PM
Cork in on the act now, but no connection with Italy.  >:(
Seal off Munster, now.

Pretty strange if you ask me. Probably more than him have it down there so.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

PL monitoring it now and could well cancel rest of league
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

7 more in the Republic today. 3 in the North.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Capt Pat

It is all kicking off now. Up to 13 cases in the republic.

RadioGAAGAA

So why wasn't the airports essentially shutdown 4 weeks ago?

Would cause a helluva lot less trouble than this is going to cause.
i usse an speelchekor

BennyCake

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 05, 2020, 10:21:30 PM

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on March 05, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 05, 2020, 10:21:30 PM

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

But why stop there.... when you could close down a whole country  instead?

Except you can't.

People always need water, food, heat/fuel, shelter. They occasionally need medicine and medical care. They don't need human interaction (even broadband interaction might suffice) per se, but will slowly crawl up the walls without it, creating mental health issues. Education isn't essential, but childminding when schools are closed, is. And the sad reality of life is that you need to earn money to pay for all of the above.

When you're asking "why didn't they just shut down this single essential service?", it's not that simple. Is it the role of government to arbitrarily decide which services (and therefore jobs) remain fully open, partially open, or closed? How do they decide this? How do they decide which livelihoods to f**k with entirely, partially, or not at all? But more importantly, why would they set the wheels in motion for society falling apart?  For if you close air travel, you must close ports. You close ports, you kill haulage. You kill haulage, you kill every retail industry eventually, and some overnight. Who pays all the people affected? Can we really expect our lazy over-entitled public sector to stand up and make, then implement an emergency plan to ensure that families aren't financially destroyed? I mean they'll be the only ones left working within a few weeks. Except there's no fuel in petrol stations, no food in the shops. So even if they want to go to work, they can't. And at that point, why administer payments to anyone anyway? What are they going to buy?

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2020, 10:57:28 PM
When you're asking "why didn't they just shut down this single essential service?", it's not that simple. Is is the role of government to arbitrarily decide which services (and therefore jobs) remain fully open, partially open, or closed? How do they decide this? How do they decide which livelihoods to f**k with entirely, partially, or not at all?

They should f**k with the livelihoods of activities which significantly promote transmission of disease, and do not provide a service you cannot do without.  There is a balance of course, and things are still under control, but definite measures may be needed for a few weeks in due course.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Killer virus comes to town near you. Panic you lemming.

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2020, 11:03:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2020, 10:57:28 PM
When you're asking "why didn't they just shut down this single essential service?", it's not that simple. Is is the role of government to arbitrarily decide which services (and therefore jobs) remain fully open, partially open, or closed? How do they decide this? How do they decide which livelihoods to f**k with entirely, partially, or not at all?

They should f**k with the livelihoods of activities which significantly promote transmission of disease, and do not provide a service you cannot do without.  There is a balance of course, and things are still under control, but definite measures may be needed for a few weeks in due course.

We live in a world that is absolutely and utterly connected.

"Significantly promote transmission of disease".

Have you ever observed how quickly the common cold spreads throughout a nursery school / early primary school class?

This doesn't happen because a group of them are subjected to it from external activities. One of them connects with it, and spreads it to those they meet.

So if one haulier, one diplomat, one international footballer, one priest, one relative coming back from a funeral on a helicopter or yacht, one whoever, arrives back from their "essential duties" abroad, and is infected, it will spread.

Maybe not as quickly as with having airports open, but it will spread.

The only way to stop it spreading is to stop it coming in. Except you can't do that in the modern world. No matter how hard you try.