Allianz Football League 2017 - Division 3

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

This all revolves around Portlaoise, I seen a Laois Today Picture from 2009 when they won the Feile.  Correct me if I am wrong not one of them is a starting player on the Portlaoise Senior Team now.   BallyroanAbbey and St Paul's are the dominant clubs at underage as of last year.  I suppose the financial pressure Portlaoise were under has forced them to take their eye off the ball.  A few years back George Doyle was managing the minors I asked someone on it how many from Portlaoise are on it and he said none, I swear I nearly fell over.  How could anyone expect to do anything at juvenile in this county without Portlaoise.  Regardless of what other clubs think Portlaoise has to get more support, it's where the vast majority of our population live

Actually Portarlington, Graigue & Mountmellick should be thrown in

These Clubs need serious help
The Rural Clubs could do with improvements but however bad their situation is the town clubs are in serious bother.

redsetanta

I think nobody would disagree with you on that BallyroanAbu, the urban centres have been mentioned alot more than once on here. Someone has to take the bull by the horns!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laoisguy

I certainly agree with Ballyroanabu as regards Portlaoise and the other bigger towns

Big problems exist in Portlaoise and Mountmellick especially numbers from 14 up are just diabolical

How is a small duel county like Laois to compete minus population bases being really competitive

I have always blamed the county board....... its their watch

Major problems are waiting for the GAA in Laois for sure

clonadmad

There are close to 1100 boys in primary schools in Portlaoise Parish,how many of these would be playing or getting coached in the parish clubs?.

id wager no more than 20%-30% at the very most.

As for Graiguecullen,dont think ive ever seen them travel to an U8/10 Go Games fixture and the amount of underage games they conceded last year across all the age groups was nothing short of a disgrace.

Laoisguy

I didn't realise that about graiguecullan

That's a disgrace

Laois fan

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on April 05, 2017, 11:03:42 AM
This all revolves around Portlaoise, I seen a Laois Today Picture from 2009 when they won the Feile.  Correct me if I am wrong not one of them is a starting player on the Portlaoise Senior Team now.   BallyroanAbbey and St Paul's are the dominant clubs at underage as of last year.  I suppose the financial pressure Portlaoise were under has forced them to take their eye off the ball.  A few years back George Doyle was managing the minors I asked someone on it how many from Portlaoise are on it and he said none, I swear I nearly fell over.  How could anyone expect to do anything at juvenile in this county without Portlaoise.  Regardless of what other clubs think Portlaoise has to get more support, it's where the vast majority of our population live

Actually Portarlington, Graigue & Mountmellick should be thrown in  ........You constantly(nearly every second comment) mention your own club as dominating underage but how many clubs are involved in this setup and what benefit is that for the county likewise St. Paul's who often have huge panels depriving many youngsters of games.You also constantly have a dig at the town clubs like my own port a town catering for three clubs.the past 5 or 6 years Portarlington have been extremely competitive in underage ,the players are being produced but it's up to the county panels to pull them in and get the best out of them

BallyroanAbu

Are we not one of the dominant juvenile clubs in Laois? 

Abbeyleix and Ballyroan are playing football and hurling together at juvenile since prob about 2009.  It took a couple of years to start working out

in 2007 unlike many we are not an amalgamation Ballyroan changed it's name and Abbeyleix ceased to play football.

U12-18

There are about 5 - 6 players from colt

1 isolated player from Ballacolla

Last Year Correct me if I am wrong
U 11 and 12 skills challenge winners and runners up
: U14 Div 1 and Div 3 league winners
: U 14 Laois Feile winners
: U 13 Championship winners
: U 14 Championship winners
:U 15 Winter League winners
U16 Semi Final
U18 Lost the Final

Abbeyleix are pretty decent too

Laois fan

A very successful under 14 team hardly classifies dominating underage, also ye can hardly be described as a rural club anymore with abbeyleix  involved.Getting back to my point what we need to see is with the likes of your clubs promising players is for the laois developement squads to improve them especially physically and having it that like 15-20 years ago it was every young platers ambition to play for laois

BallyroanAbu

I am actually saying it's not a good thing Ballyroan are doing so well, regardless of how I feel Portlaoise should be the dominant Juvenile Club with a pack of Graigue,Ballyroan,Paul's, Port & Mountmellick, Stradbally behind.  If Laois are to regain ground the town clubs have to get their act together.

Some part of me feels last Sunday was a watershed where everyone suddenly realizes how bad we are and we start to sort it out fingers crossed.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on April 06, 2017, 10:05:19 AM
I am actually saying it's not a good thing Ballyroan are doing so well, regardless of how I feel Portlaoise should be the dominant Juvenile Club with a pack of Graigue,Ballyroan,Paul's, Port & Mountmellick, Stradbally behind.  If Laois are to regain ground the town clubs have to get their act together.
Its Stradbally Parish Gaels. Much likes its Ballyroan Abbey. Just to give the other "lesser clubs" in the amalgamation a bit of a mention is all. Granted at least SPG now have a neutral jersey for theirs, and not before time.

High Fielder

I agree with Ballyroan about one thing. The attrition rate in Portlaoise is worrying. Not only is it worrying for them, but it's also worrying for Laois. You're probably talking potentially in the region of 20% of the playing population in one club, and whilst they have dominated senior, they don't really contribute to Laois and they don't win much outside of the top grade. I don't know what that says about the mentality, because the players have always been there, but it did often surprise me that throughout their dominant period, they couldn't win an Intermediate. Look, Portlaoise are not to blame for Laois' decline, but like all clubs, they are potential contributors, and the supply at times is terrible.

OTF

Quote from: clonadmad on April 05, 2017, 01:02:06 PM
There are close to 1100 boys in primary schools in Portlaoise Parish,how many of these would be playing or getting coached in the parish clubs?.

As for Graiguecullen,dont think ive ever seen them travel to an U8/10 Go Games fixture and the amount of underage games they conceded last year across all the age groups was nothing short of a disgrace.

At last, I've  asked that question many time, 1100 boys that's some numbers, do you know roughly how many not including The Heath, Clonad and Ratheneska.

Don Draper

Quote from: OTF on April 06, 2017, 10:38:47 AM

At last, I've  asked that question many time, 1100 boys that's some numbers, do you know roughly how many not including The Heath, Clonad and Ratheneska.
Is there a school in Clonad?

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on April 06, 2017, 10:41:00 AM
Quote from: OTF on April 06, 2017, 10:38:47 AM

Is there a school in Clonad?

No school in Clonad

Excluding Ratheniska and the Heath,you are looking at around 900 boys currently in primary school education.

clonadmad

Quote from: Laois fan on April 06, 2017, 09:52:47 AM
A very successful under 14 team hardly classifies dominating underage, also ye can hardly be described as a rural club anymore with abbeyleix  involved.Getting back to my point what we need to see is with the likes of your clubs promising players is for the laois developement squads to improve them especially physically and having it that like 15-20 years ago it was every young platers ambition to play for laois

Speaking mainly from the hurling side,but from what I have seen as to how Abbeyleix mentor and coach young players,if every club in Laois conducted their business as well as they do,we would be a lot further down the road than where we are at the minute.