Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Into life meaning a more flowing game MR.

Loughgiel certainly better at using the ball than ourselves as they've been doing so for the past few years and their movement up front was a difference. Very good at recycling the ball when under pressure. You could see we're not quite there yet, but we're working at it
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

was at the under 17 development game at Rossa Park on Sat morning, Antrim were playing Kilkenny and Foggarty was looking after the Kilkenny team while Humpy and Marty Devine were looking after our lads, decent game and fair play to both teams with high standard tempo for most parts.

Some quality scores from both teams with Antrim edging it by a point in the end, good refereeing to I thought ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2014, 03:13:46 PM
was at the under 17 development game at Rossa Park on Sat morning, Antrim were playing Kilkenny and Foggarty was looking after the Kilkenny team while Humpy and Marty Devine were looking after our lads, decent game and fair play to both teams with high standard tempo for most parts.

Some quality scores from both teams with Antrim edging it by a point in the end, good refereeing to I thought ;)

Is this the strongest U17 squad Kilkenny have available MR2?
I see one of the younger squads won against them as well - great to think we're competing at this but experience says it's maybe not the full KK contingent?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 12, 2014, 04:34:19 PM

I see one of the younger squads won against them as well - great to think we're competing at this but experience says it's maybe not the full KK contingent?

Did the minors beat the Dubs aswell? Assume it was a Dublin under 17 squad?

The Under 15 squad beat Kilkenny over 60 minutes. I think they kept playing for 75 (as there was no other game) and Kilkenny got a rake of goals at the end. Seems a handy group - they got to the Forrestal Semi last year and (per the County website) beat Wexford and Waterford (very well) last weekend.

I thought I saw somewhere that Limerick were supposed to travel up - anybody know what happened there? Shame it couldn't have been a blitz rather than a series of games against KK (but that is not to in any way take anything away from either Kilkenny for travelling or from the persons who organised the games - fair play to all!)

Pjoe

Yes u15s won as well.  Made 13 changes in the last 15 minute period to give all 30 of the squad a run out and KK scored 4-2, up until that point they had scored 1-5 to Antrim's 2-10.  Out hurled KK in all aspects of the game for the 60 minute period.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 12, 2014, 04:34:19 PM

Allegedly not but there are no real easy teams in Kilkenny, they took their scores easier than we did if truth be told but wee did rightly. It matters most in Championship so hopefully that's when we will know if we have a decent team or not, Marty told me we had a few missing also so very promising
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

MR, did you make it to our game with yourselves on Sunday evening? A win we'd have been hopeful of but not expecting TBH.

We've Ballycran at home on wednesday night I believe, but I don't see it in the fixtures list.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on May 13, 2014, 11:08:40 AM
MR, did you make it to our game with yourselves on Sunday evening? A win we'd have been hopeful of but not expecting TBH.

We've Ballycran at home on wednesday night I believe, but I don't see it in the fixtures list.

Was refereeing but got a report on the game, heard we threw it away :(, various reasons but I hear it was 2 points lost by us, disappointed as I'm sure the management (as yours did) targeted this for 2 points, couple lads missing and a player sent off before half time which doesn't help, but they will just have to dig in and try and get an away win somewhere. They seem to be getting more competitive which is good for this time of the year.

Progression through the league and stay up with Clooney Gaels the main focus I'm sure, was at the Clooney gaels game and PJ is a bit special when on the ball, score 2-5 or something so needs a watching come Championship

brendanbelfast

Quote from: Pjoe on May 12, 2014, 05:03:52 PM
Yes u15s won as well.  Made 13 changes in the last 15 minute period to give all 30 of the squad a run out and KK scored 4-2, up until that point they had scored 1-5 to Antrim's 2-10.  Out hurled KK in all aspects of the game for the 60 minute period.

Limerick were due to travel also but unfortunately could not come in the end. However our develpoment coaches and admin staff have solid links there and Limerick have instead offered to host two of our development squads for an overnight trip involving games and coaching sessions - which we will be taking up.

Saturday was a great day for our young hurling squads - stern tests for all and in most cases Antrim performed very well. The work going on at this level is huge, and will pay dividends long term. Saturday's activities were financially supported by the members of the One Antrim scheme - thats where the money is being primarily targeted, it is worth getting on board.

Not to forget the footballers; both U16 and U17 teams beat Down on Saturday before each losing to Donegal.

btdtgtt

Quote from: brendanbelfast on May 13, 2014, 02:59:23 PM

Limerick were due to travel also but unfortunately could not come in the end. However our develpoment coaches and admin staff have solid links there and Limerick have instead offered to host two of our development squads for an overnight trip involving games and coaching sessions - which we will be taking up.

Saturday was a great day for our young hurling squads - stern tests for all and in most cases Antrim performed very well. The work going on at this level is huge, and will pay dividends long term. Saturday's activities were financially supported by the members of the One Antrim scheme - thats where the money is being primarily targeted, it is worth getting on board.

Not to forget the footballers; both U16 and U17 teams beat Down on Saturday before each losing to Donegal.

All great to hear Brendan! I think everyone on the board would support all of this!
In keeping with tradition can we also start discriminating against some Loughgiel lads? (Sorry SiE - u know i jest)
Maybe throw a city lad off for some indiscipline at an away game also?

Can I ask - Is the focus on the best players at this level only?

My feeling is the same as at senior - we need a broader base to sustain and push the standard.

I mean, the best players at juvenile don't always develop to be the best in senior (in all counties) so we can't neglect currently lesser players who might develop better by senior.

Not an just an Antrim issue i know - I suppose its the subtle difference between a county squad, and a county development squad.
If we concentrate on the players who happen to be the best at that point in time - ultimately it might not 'develop' hurling at all by senior should that smaller focus not come through.

Stronger players at stronger players have the best chance here, but to develop maybe some focus on "lesser" players at "lesser" club might help.

Genuine question.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 13, 2014, 03:13:50 PM

All great to hear Brendan! I think everyone on the board would support all of this!
In keeping with tradition can we also start discriminating against some Loughgiel lads? (Sorry SiE - u know i jest)

My feeling is the same as at senior - we need a broader base to sustain and push the standard.

I mean, the best players at juvenile don't always develop to be the best in senior (in all counties) so we can't neglect currently lesser players who might develop better by senior.

Not an just an Antrim issue i know - I suppose its the subtle difference between a county squad, and a county development squad.
If we concentrate on the players who happen to be the best at that point in time - ultimately it might not 'develop' hurling at all by senior should that smaller focus not come through.

Stronger players at stronger players have the best chance here, but to develop maybe some focus on "lesser" players at "lesser" club might help.

Genuine question.

I would have thought that is a resource problem.

We have barely enough to look after and work properly with the cream never mind looking to develop a second tier of player behind this.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on May 13, 2014, 03:38:26 PM

Genuine question.

I would have thought that is a resource problem.

We have barely enough to look after and work properly with the cream never mind looking to develop a second tier of player behind this.

True, hence why the likes of Kilkenny can have U-17 development squads of various levels out and about as they've greater resources and TBH the expense of sending a team to Limerick is vastly less for Kilkenny than it would be for Antrim or Down. Our geographical location works against us in a big way.

clootfromthe21

Genuine question.

I think the focus has to be on the best players at this level. In a world of unlimited resources (both money and coaches) of course it would be better to spread those resources equally across all clubs but in Antrim we have neither the money nor the pool of coaches to do that. We also have the issue highlighted by Johnny of geographical isolation which compounds expense which (Down apart) nobody else has.

By focusing on an elite and putting scarce resources into such a group, we can persuade a group of 14/15/16 year olds (and the rest of the county) that they can be the match of anybody in the country.  Of course many will drop out and not become senior "stars" but if we can create a culture of matching and indeed beating the "big" counties at underage level, that can only be good for the game in the county. It can only attract more people to play.

From the lists of squad members that you can find on various sites, the squads certainly don't appear to be the preserve of the big clubs. I think I read somewhere that the 35 members of the under 15 squad come from 16 different clubs. While anybody coming up through a squad will obviously have a huge advantage, I think it is important that membership is reviewed every year and there is at least a possibility of someone playing their way onto a team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mickey80 on May 13, 2014, 05:32:26 PM
MR2 - have you been referreeing this year? How have you found the standard with the developing clubs? The Ahoghills, the Sarsfields and the Cloughmills of this world?

Gaels have lifted it a gear I've noticed they have a bigger squad also, still the main guys playing but more experienced, Sarsfields have kicked on from last also, they have a great 15 and Kevo's lads are very good with McKenna taking good scores, they will only improve. Was disappointed with Cloughmills last year, they looked good in parts but I actually played against them (thats how short we were that day) and beat them. Creggan are the team that has improved the most, refereed them last year and they have done well in the league so far this year.

Hopefully these teams lift the other teams in their leagues, always a good thing when everybody raises the standard, which hasn't been the case in the div 1 football over the past 10 years

theskull1

Late developers from the strong clubs will be getting a decent standard of coaching there and as has been said, we currently haven't got the right numbers of boots on the ground to take these teams or the finance (could it improve if we raise the level of our ambition? Maybe). I do think lads with potential but with raw stickwork from weaker clubs (where the coaching effort/standards wouldn't be the same) should be given some sort of dispensation (if thats the right term? Minder will set me straight) which allowed them to stay onboard with development squads to iron out their stickwork.

I wish more from our club would commit to the development squads. I think they're doing a very good job
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera