TV3's GAA Schedule

Started by IolarCoisCuain, April 17, 2008, 09:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

TV3 have announced their GAA coverage for the summer:

http://www.tv3.ie/media.php?action=news&id=150

It must have been good old crack in the negotiations, especially in the choice of which Provincial Finals RTÉ were to keep. It's interesting also to note that they have their pick of the qualifiers - I presume this is just in case Pillar and his merry men meet with some sort of terrible accident in Leinster?

The most interesting thing about it is the involvement of Motive Television. The question is, of course, which Motive Television will show up - the geniuses who brought us Breaking Ball, or the cretins who delivered Park Live? Watch, as the man says, this space. :)

heineken_on_tap

At least they might start showing a bit of GAA action now during their sports news. That is after the horse racing, soccer, cricket etc etc

ziggysego

So the Ulster Final is on TV3 then. Wasn't the new contract that BBC show what games RTE shows? Oh dear...
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

QuoteSo the Ulster Final is on TV3 then. Wasn't the new contract that BBC show what games RTE shows? Oh dear...

If the Ulster council slipped up on that one, it would be a major snafu.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Who is doing the presenting and punditry on TV3 for these games?

bennydorano

Any word of them getting onto the Sky platform in the black north? My terrestrial TV3 is pants.

IolarCoisCuain

The presenting and punditry hasn't been announced yet AZ. That is a ball that could hop either way. Dara Ó Cinnéide would get my vote. Whether or not anyone in a TV3 boardroom has heard of an Cinnéideach is moot however. If they have the show presented by Lorraine Keane - "to broaden its appeal" - I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Benny, Ziggy, et al, I wouldn't be holding out much hope. TV3 are doing this because they're either riven with guilt over their abject failure to provide even a token of heritage, national interest, public service, pro bono broadcasting, or else they're out to turn a handy dollar. If it's the latter, I'm afraid your black north remains in the dark. :(

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 17, 2008, 11:18:35 AM
Who is doing the presenting and punditry on TV3 for these games?

Meanwhile, in other GAA news, TV3 have lined up three big-name analysts for their ground-breaking live Gaelic Games package this summer.

The station recently won the rights to transmit 10 games of their choice live, exclusive of RTÉ's first-choice selection of 20 games.

To help them shape their coverage, highly-rated pundits such as Eugene McGee, Nicky English and Liam Griffin will form a major part of their team.

burgh

wel i hope their analysis is better than the job they did on the rugby world cup or the Rep of ireland soccer friendlies or even when they had champions league. a bit more gaa on sports 2night wouldnt go astray either. i find it awful annoying getting used to new commentators

Oriel Man

They'll probably roll out Conor McNamara again for commentary... First Soccer, then Rugby, now probably GAA.
In fairness, he'd probably be better than the guy Setanta use (Can't remember his name).

Maguire01

I really don't see why they got the Ulster Final, considering a good proportion of the province can't even get TV3!  >:(

thechampishere

Just wondering if any of you know what the situation is regarding Setanta's coverage of the GAA this summer, ie the provincial championships and the All Ireland Series. For people like me in England, part of the attraction of subbin to Setanta was that we got to see the GAA over here, something that we never had before unless we went to the pub!!! So if anyone can shed any light on this matter, it would be great.

Here is the e-mail I recieved from Setanta:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have had no confirmation of the GAA no longer going to be viewed on
Setanta.  When we have the relevant information we will inform our
customers.

If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us
on 08712 00 33 22.

Yours sincerely

Wanda Clark

Setanta Sports Customer Services

clarshack

the bbc is also showing the ulster final live.

fer fox ache

Personally I'm delighted live in North Derry and get a great TV3 pic from the Inishowen transmitter. The big bonus is the fact that there'll be football qualifiers shown live this summer, last year it was hurling every week some the games were meaningless while knockout games in the football were ignored

Owenmoresider

That's what I would like too, if they were showing games RTE wouldn't probably have shown. But no, instead down the Connacht and Ulster finals go to their level. They better not mess it up, the shite coverage of soccer and rigby was bad enough.