1st news story you remember from tv as a child.

Started by Boycey, November 27, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I think we did this one before, and I had to do some quick googling to see the timeline because I wasn't sure if it was Hungerford, Corporals Killings, or Lockerbie. Turns out it would have been Hungerford. I also always remember the faces of the young men who were routinely on the news in the morning having been killed during the night or the previous day in an attack during the troubles. That was pretty much all of the 80s in my memory.

Have vague memories of Live Aid, but I distinctly remember watching the news regarding Hungerford.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

I can't remember what it was, but it was about Charlie Haughey. God only knows what.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Late 1960's, there was a scandal in the british government and they mentioned the Perfumo affair with a call-girl.

I innocently asked my Dad "what's a call-girl?"

As I puzzled why all my siblings were all sniggering, my Mum answered "just someone you phone up to talk to"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Targetman

I vaguely remember the announcement of the death of Elvis Presley

Sandino

Aberfan, still breaks me up when watching old footage today.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

CiKe

Think it was the Gibraltar Killings. As Puck says, lot of early memories of faces of people who were murdered on the television

AZOffaly

Jack Lynch retiring. It said he wanted a rest and I thought he was under arrest.

Eamonnca1

Bombings, shootings, hunger strikes and riots.

Ball Hopper

johnneycool

The hunger strikes, the funerals and rioting that was on the news every evening

BennyHarp

Reports from Ethiopia on the famine around 1984.
That was never a square ball!!

Avondhu star

Quote from: Orior on November 27, 2017, 08:46:32 PM
Late 1960's, there was a scandal in the british government and they mentioned the Perfumo affair with a call-girl.

I innocently asked my Dad "what's a call-girl?"

As I puzzled why all my siblings were all sniggering, my Mum answered "just someone you phone up to talk to"

You're older than you think
That was 1961. 
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

bannside

Aberfan Welsh mining disaster in October 1966.  I was four and a half.