Going back to Swinford shouting "losers losers losers"

Started by seafoid, March 15, 2010, 10:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

A very interesting insight in the Irish Times

As one sports psychologist once explained: "If you're a player with an unsuccessful county, you'll have been reared going to matches, watching them lose and returning home in the car listening to adults slagging off the players. It's hard to shut out the negativity."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0310/1224265980283.html

Can counties like Mayo get over this kind of self defeating shite or is losing inevitable ? 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magickingdom

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: magickingdom on March 15, 2010, 10:11:12 PM
galway looked great yesterday.. ;)

I'd be very depressed if I was a Galway fan watching my team lose more than not  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stephenite

Clare managed to overcome decades of being defeated - as did Galway in both codes, Mayo were within a kick of a ball and a bad decision of overcoming it in 1996.

For one I don't think players buy into previous generations mistakes and mentality as much as is being made out. f**k the hoodo

ziggysego

Everyone in Dublin have been shouting "this is our year" for over 10 years.
Testing Accessibility

spuds

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2010, 10:05:10 PM

As one sports psychologist once explained: "If you're a player with an unsuccessful county, you'll have been reared going to matches, watching them lose and returning home in the car listening to adults slagging off the players. It's hard to shut out the negativity."

Can counties like Mayo get over this kind of self defeating shite or is losing inevitable ?
one thing losing when things competetiv but feckin a run of minor hurlers wit bags of medals fallin on there hole in a 3 county competition is woeful molodgin god be with herring chokers
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Pups

Tubberman

Quote from: spuds on March 16, 2010, 04:12:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2010, 10:05:10 PM

one thing losing when things competetiv but feckin a run of minor hurlers wit bags of medals fallin on there hole in a 3 county competition is woeful molodgin god be with herring chokers

:D :D You've a way with words Spuds! ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on March 15, 2010, 10:40:04 PM
Clare managed to overcome decades of being defeated - as did Galway in both codes, Mayo were within a kick of a ball and a bad decision of overcoming it in 1996.

For one I don't think players buy into previous generations mistakes and mentality as much as is being made out. f**k the hoodo

So true. I mean how on Earth has every loss since 1951 going to contribute to the next game?? Not a jot. The players have to rise to the occasion and be ruthless and if they're not good enough, they're not good enough. But you've become a real little p***k lately seafoid.

Oh and what about Tipp?? Winning for fun until 1971, and we could all count on one hand the amount of AIs they've won since. Nothing against Tipp by the way, just saying how that article doesn't make much sense.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 16, 2010, 08:44:17 AM

Oh and what about Tipp?? Winning for fun until 1971, and we could all count on one hand the amount of AIs they've won since. Nothing against Tipp by the way, just saying how that article doesn't make much sense.

Tipp is an interesting case. They still have the swagger even if there is not much to show for it relatively speaking . Having said that they can win all-Irelands in one go which is something that you can't say for every county.

I thought the point about blackguarding the players on the way home in the car after another defeat was interesting. I heard so many ould fellas saying of Galway hurlers "they are no use" on the way home even after a narrow loss and it has to feed into how the crowd reacts if a soft goal goes in- "here we f*"&ing go agin" . Or the county tradition of leaving 10 minutes before the end in disgust.  Because it never goes right. 
Players must pick up on that too. If you look at the stats there are counties that win more all-Irelands than they lose and it has to be all in the head at the end of the day.  Can you manufacture that consistently for a county after a history of loss ? Tyrone at the moment seem to have done it but what are the factors? I heard that HMG invested a lot of money in sport facilities in Norn Irn to keep the boys away from terrism. Is that what did the trick for the Nordy teams? Could it be replicated elsewhere?     
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2010, 10:03:17 AM

Tipp is an interesting case. They still have the swagger even if there is not much to show for it relatively speaking . Having said that they can win all-Irelands in one go which is something that you can't say for every county.

I thought the point about blackguarding the players on the way home in the car after another defeat was interesting. I heard so many ould fellas saying of Galway hurlers "they are no use" on the way home even after a narrow loss and it has to feed into how the crowd reacts if a soft goal goes in- "here we f*"&ing go agin" . Or the county tradition of leaving 10 minutes before the end in disgust.  Because it never goes right. 
Players must pick up on that too. If you look at the stats there are counties that win more all-Irelands than they lose and it has to be all in the head at the end of the day.  Can you manufacture that consistently for a county after a history of loss ? Tyrone at the moment seem to have done it but what are the factors? I heard that HMG invested a lot of money in sport facilities in Norn Irn to keep the boys away from terrism. Is that what did the trick for the Nordy teams? Could it be replicated elsewhere?     

Ya, the oul terrorism has been an awful blight on Connacht football down the years alright.  ::)
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2010, 10:03:17 AM

In a word, no.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

muppet

MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: ziggysego on March 16, 2010, 12:26:21 AM
Everyone in Dublin have been shouting "this is our year" for over 10 years.

Not this one don't generalise.

He has a point. There are certain counties out there who are perrenial losers indoctrinated in a losing mentality from prior years. You can see it at club level as well.

Loughnane had to put the Clare hurlers through mental hell to change them. And even then in 1995 they only beat one of the worst Cork hurling teams of all time in 1995 by one point. Had they lost that day it would never have started.

Thats why Gilroy is going with essentially a new team with Dublin because the prior teams couldn't get over prior defeats.
I suspect until Mayo are stripped of another 5/6 of their footballers they won't get over the line either. As they gradually get a few more Aidan O shea's mentality they'll get closer.
Just my opinion but it takes footballers with special character to overcome annual defeat. Only really the Armagh team in 2002 did it. Before then the Cork team of 89/90 did it and the Dublin team of 1995. Other than that I can't think of many others in modern times.

IolarCoisCuain

Wise words from Indiana as ever. A lot of revolutions would never have happened if the ball hadn't bounced right on the first day, and momentum then built on that.

Seán Óg de Paor and Kevin Walsh have both pointed out how important beating Mayo in Castlebar in May 1998 was to them in winning the All-Ireland that summer. Galway were in a heap for years after they lost to Dublin in 1983. Mayo were easily the best team they faced that year. That Mayo generation will always be cursed for not closing the deal when they had the chance, and they know it. Think of what Liam McHale was saying last year.

The Tipp thing that Seafóid mentions is interesting. I've been lucky enough to be at all the All-Ireland finals Mayo contested since 1996. I was also at the Tipp v Kilkenny hurling final this year, and there was such a marked contrast between the reactions of the Tipp support and the Mayo support. Tipp wanted the game played again at six o'clock that evening. Tipp supporters knew they had Kilkenny, and not only weren't afraid to play them again, but they felt a burning need to play them again.

Mayo supporters left Jones' Road with their heads down, and early season debate has always to do with avoiding Kerry. Tipp would be begging to play Kerry again. Billy Morgan told Cork after Meath beat them in the league that each man was to go down on his knees to pray that the teams meet again in the Championship. That's a winning mentality, and it does not exist in Mayo.

Tipp have the advantage of those thirty-odd All-Irelands, the border rivalry with Kilkenny and all the rest of it. And they have the advantage of having ended the famine in the 'eighties - with some pieces falling into place for them along that trip as well, I might add.

There is certainly is a losing mentality in Mayo. Mayo are never as far away as our greatest moments of despair would indicate, but a lack of mental strength is clearly an issue. A charismatic manager (as in a pure looper) to break that down, such a Mayo Loughnane or a Mayo Morgan, would be a good way of getting around that. Not that the Board would ever appoint one except by accident, of course. Maughan nearly pulled it off in 1996, you know. He nearly did. But nearly doesn't put banbhs in the sow, does it? You're better off poxing one that deserving one, you know. You really are.