Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38.5%)
Failure
63 (40.4%)
Too early to say
33 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 156

seafoid

The top 8 on oddschecker are
Dublin
Kerry
Derry
Galway
Mayo
Donegal
Throne
Armagh

That's Ulster 4, Connacht 2, Dublin and Kerry

Because the provincials are at the start of the championship, 2 of the ulster teams will not be seeded first or second.  3 Ulster teams will be playing in the preliminary quarter final and may play another division 1 team before the qf. Dublin and Kerry are unlikely to be playing in the prelim QF.

The likelihood of a Dublin/Kerry final in any year is higher under this system.
The likelihood of a good Ulster team building up momentum in the province and going all the way is lower.

Anyone who isn't from Dublin or Kerry who defends this system is down a rabbit hole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

As pointed out by others that's nothing to do  the split season.
It's a good argument for abolishing the Provincials or the link between them and the AI.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2024, 11:24:02 AMAs pointed out by others that's nothing to do  the split season.
It's a good argument for abolishing the Provincials or the link between them and the AI.
It's isn't about the split season. They could run any kind of championship in the time available.

seafoid

https://twitter.com/BrophShane/status/17720035272057160045

The GAA has got a huge problem with the hurling and football leagues as in you can't trust what you are watching. Managers pick games over others to prioritise. So much of this years league has been fake and supporters won't stay paying high admission prices for it.

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2024, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2024, 11:24:02 AMAs pointed out by others that's nothing to do  the split season.
It's isn't about the split season. They could run any kind of championship in the time available.

OK, so we're agreed

This has everything to do with the structure of the championship and the relative weaknesses of the provincial championships compared to Ulster

And nothing to do with the split season

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on March 26, 2024, 12:02:26 PM

OK, so we're agreed

This has everything to do with the structure of the championship and the relative weaknesses of the provincial championships compared to Ulster

Finally, Franko. I can't believe it.
 8)

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2024, 12:14:23 PM

OK, so we're agreed

8)

Sorry I was confused, maybe I got the wrong end of de schtick but I thought your messaging was mixed

Tis a great day for sure  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on March 26, 2024, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2024, 12:14:23 PM

OK, so we're agreed

8)

Sorry I was confused, maybe I got the wrong end of de schtick but I thought your messaging was mixed

Tis a great day for sure  ;D
It sure is. I think they will have to change the championship . It isn't good enough

Blowitupref

Jim McGuinness on current scheduling.

"The whole thing is blurred. One thing to the next thing to the next thing. There is no gap.

"There is no opportunities. It is hard to develop a team as well when you are constantly playing. Listen, we basically are managing, we took in eight kids, U20s, to bring us up to 40.

"For most of this national league and preseason, we have been operating with 22 to 24, that is the reality.

"Sometimes you are down 50 per cent of availability. Most of them were issues that had to be sorted out from last year and have followed through.

"There is a huge residue in terms of the split season, people coming in injured, trying to get people up to a level. I haven't experienced this level really in my life.

"We are trying to find a way to get as many back on the pitch as possible. We haven't had everyone on the pitch at the one time yet, I am looking forward to that.

"The more it goes on I'm not even sure it will happen. When I was manager of Donegal previously, you always had injuries that is why you carry a couple extra.

There is a strong element of managers and players being on tenterhooks because one slip. Time frames are so tight and you could miss everything. Literally everything.

"Even if you do get back are you going to be at the level to compete because of the intensity of the games you are going into. It is tricky, really tricky for players."

Meanwhile Kieran McGeeney reckons all pre-season competitions need to be scrapped a total waste of time. He would prefer the NFL to start in the first week of January and two have home and away matches with 14 league games instead of 7. 

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Derryman forever

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 26, 2024, 07:43:19 PMJim McGuinness on current scheduling.

"The whole thing is blurred. One thing to the next thing to the next thing. There is no gap.

"There is no opportunities. It is hard to develop a team as well when you are constantly playing. Listen, we basically are managing, we took in eight kids, U20s, to bring us up to 40.

"For most of this national league and preseason, we have been operating with 22 to 24, that is the reality.

"Sometimes you are down 50 per cent of availability. Most of them were issues that had to be sorted out from last year and have followed through.

"There is a huge residue in terms of the split season, people coming in injured, trying to get people up to a level. I haven't experienced this level really in my life.

"We are trying to find a way to get as many back on the pitch as possible. We haven't had everyone on the pitch at the one time yet, I am looking forward to that.

"The more it goes on I'm not even sure it will happen. When I was manager of Donegal previously, you always had injuries that is why you carry a couple extra.

There is a strong element of managers and players being on tenterhooks because one slip. Time frames are so tight and you could miss everything. Literally everything.

"Even if you do get back are you going to be at the level to compete because of the intensity of the games you are going into. It is tricky, really tricky for players."

Meanwhile Kieran McGeeney reckons all pre-season competitions need to be scrapped a total waste of time. He would prefer the NFL to start in the first week of January and two have home and away matches with 14 league games instead of 7. 

Don't sound like remarks born in confidence.

Armagh18

Rather be playing games games games. Teams are training from October/November anyway.

marty34

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 26, 2024, 07:43:19 PMJim McGuinness on current scheduling.

Carrying a panel of 40 but only has 22 training?

Jimmy not happy but it's only for about 2% of players.

As I said before, why do they have to train so much between matches?

yellowcard

Quote from: marty34 on March 26, 2024, 09:58:59 PM

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I wonder is there any correlation between the frequency and intensity of training sessions and the Donegal lengthy injury list. They were thought to have been training 9/10 times per week in December which is bound to put a huge strain on the bodies of amateur players. Its therefore ironic that Jimmy is now complaining that he can't train them often enough as the games come thick and fast.

The county managers have far too much power and aren't happy unless they have full control over their players 24/7. Carrying 40 of a squad knowing well that 14 of them are just being used to play in house training games, it takes a serious committment and certain type of character for players to buy into that type of regime.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2024, 08:42:00 AM
Quote from: marty34 on March 26, 2024, 09:58:59 PM

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I wonder is there any correlation between the frequency and intensity of training sessions and the Donegal lengthy injury list. They were thought to have been training 9/10 times per week in December which is bound to put a huge strain on the bodies of amateur players. Its therefore ironic that Jimmy is now complaining that he can't train them often enough as the games come thick and fast.

The county managers have far too much power and aren't happy unless they have full control over their players 24/7. Carrying 40 of a squad knowing well that 14 of them are just being used to play in house training games, it takes a serious committment and certain type of character for players to buy into that type of regime. 
Think Armagh something the same but players that aren't making the 26 will be allowed to play club league games which start early April. Surely the hard yards are done by now in training and its a matter of getting a couple of light recovery/tactical sessions in ( boys not getting game time would still be doing more runs I'd imagine). We're getting fair buy in from lads and Donegal seem to be getting the same.

Eire90

if weather dont improve championshop games will be played in baltic conditions suppose if its good enough for club players its good enough for county and covid all ireland 1 was played in winter.