NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

The one stroke of luck that Tyrone had that year was that Mayo took out Dublin.

Tyrone were probably a better side than Mayo at the time but I don't honestly believe they'd have beaten Dublin in 10 attempts. That 2018 final had them scarred beyond words.

I also do believe that's why so many of the Tyrone team have dropped performance levels and/ stepped away since then. They didn't ever expect to win an AI, as they didn't ever expect to beat Dublin. They were never going to have the greed or drive of KK hurlers or Dublin footballers. One wasn't plenty, but it was enough.

Manning18

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 18, 2024, 07:51:32 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on February 18, 2024, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 18, 2024, 05:45:40 PMDublin were actually still probably the best team that year, but Mayo caught them on the hop, after years of been beat by them,then couldn't produce the same display after.

It's Kerry that should've won that all Ireland on the bridle. They left about 2-6 worth of easy scores behind against Tyrone and conceded 3 goals in an extra time loss

Nonsense. Tyrone were down to 14 for 20 minutes and visibly tired in the second half of extra time, allowing Kerry to get back within a point. People have an awful habit of overrating Kerry teams because of the name. It was a decent Kerry team but not a great one. The better team won that day.

Ultimately Tyrone had been knocking at the door for a few years but Dublin were well ahead and we were also hamstrung by an overly cautious approach. In 2021 they had a license to open up more, the Dubs had gone back a few levels, Mayo weren't the team who had pushed them so close, and Kerry were overrated. Tyrone were the best team.

In truth there was more in that team. McShane wasn't fully fit, Darragh was still very young and we hadn't quite worked out how best to employ McKenna. There were more gears. But they rightfully celebrated an unexpected AI and between that and sated ambitions, then injuries, retirals (and McKenna heading off), they never again got back on course before the team started to break up. And there's no crime in that.

I'm don't mean to diminish Tyrone, in the wider context of this discussion I actually think they were decent winners. McShane not starting and Tiernan McCann not even getting on the pitch are signs of a very strong squad overall. Morgan had a season of seasons, the midfield pair were excellent and their scoring efficiency in semi and final that year was superb

I don't think it changes the feeling though that Kerry completely threw it away that year. Simple goals not worked, extremely simple fisted points going wide, missing frees. All the while conceding very soft goals and the game was still a draw in normal time after all that. And the best player in the land couldn't play in ET remember

I don't think Kerry will mind all that much though in hindsight. Would they have brought in O'Connor and  Tally and set up the Tadgh Morley sweeper system that allowed them to win the following year had they got over the line in 21? Probably not

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 18, 2024, 05:59:23 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on February 18, 2024, 05:41:52 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 18, 2024, 05:35:17 PMTyrone 2021 was the worst All-Ireland winning team since Dublin in 1995. Dublin wouldn't reach another final after that until 2011.

No, I think Derry in 93 were the worst all ireland winning team considering they had basically no real forwards.  Excellent defence and midfield and some good free takers

Their luck was in, they beat Donegal in an Ulster Final that should never have been played because of underfoot conditions. They also had a bit of luck in the AI with Cork's Tony Davis being sent of for nudging a player in the back.

They were still a handy outfit.

I'd say Heaney...Barton...Cassidy...Brolly...Downey...Gormley...McNicholl...Burns would all have a difference of opinion....

In terms of Tyrone and winning the A.I in the covid year...fair play....the Sam Maguire is sitting in front of you....you have to play the games to win it so fair play...

inroundthesquare

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 18, 2024, 08:22:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 18, 2024, 05:35:17 PMTyrone 2021 was the worst All-Ireland winning team since Dublin in 1995. Dublin wouldn't reach another final after that until 2011.

No, I think Derry in 93 were the worst all ireland winning team considering they had basically no real forwards.  Excellent defence and midfield and some good free takers

Their luck was in, they beat Donegal in an Ulster Final that should never have been played because of underfoot conditions. They also had a bit of luck in the AI with Cork's Tony Davis being sent of for nudging a player in the back.

I'd say Heaney...Barton...Cassidy...Brolly...Downey...Gormley...McNicholl...Burns would all have a difference of opinion....

In terms of Tyrone and winning the A.I in the covid year...fair play....the Sam Maguire is sitting in front of you....you have to play the games to win it so fair play...

The "Covid year" is surely 2020 where there were no fans, All Ireland played week before Christmas etc., rather than 2021

GAABoardMod5

Next week...

Tyrone v Mayo
Dublin v Kerry

Galway v Derry
Roscommon v Monaghan

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: inroundthesquare on February 18, 2024, 09:14:26 PM

The "Covid year" is surely 2020 where there were no fans, All Ireland played week before Christmas etc., rather than 2021

The covid postponement then maybe....

screenexile

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 18, 2024, 10:15:08 PM

The "Covid" 😉 postponement!

ONeill

Tyrone's starting 15 has fairly changed in 3 years. I know there are a few to come back but not sure if all of them are starters.

I'm still happy to see new blood being tried out. 2022-2023 indicated that something needed to change. It won't gel magically.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eire90

is cluxton officially retired.

tonto1888

Quote from: square_ball on February 18, 2024, 05:20:10 PMAh jaysus lads stop with the Covid All Ireland shite. Tyrone won it fair and square that year. Beating Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo is worthy of winning any AI any year.

Tyrone may be very average now but give over about being lucky to win an all Ireland ffs.

Armagh man here and as much as I was supporting whoever Tyrone played that year, you deserved and earned it that year.

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on February 18, 2024, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 18, 2024, 10:15:08 PM

The "Covid" 😉 postponement!

Oh look another conspiracy theorist who thinks Tyrone GAA were able to pull off the illusion of 15 young lads having covid without a photo or whisper of them out of isolation being leaked. What an operation.

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on February 18, 2024, 07:52:08 PMThe one stroke of luck that Tyrone had that year was that Mayo took out Dublin.

Tyrone were probably a better side than Mayo at the time but I don't honestly believe they'd have beaten Dublin in 10 attempts. That 2018 final had them scarred beyond words.

I also do believe that's why so many of the Tyrone team have dropped performance levels and/ stepped away since then. They didn't ever expect to win an AI, as they didn't ever expect to beat Dublin. They were never going to have the greed or drive of KK hurlers or Dublin footballers. One wasn't plenty, but it was enough.
In the period since 2010 only one team has won more than one all Ireland. This is not the usual state of affairs.

From the 1960s to now ,Down won 2 twice , Galway won 3 and 2, Cork won 2, Tyrone won 3 . Meath won 2 twice and  Kerry teams won multiple all Irelands 5 or 6 times. Now is very different. Even Kerry are reduced to looking for scraps. This is the house that the GAA built.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Manning18 on February 18, 2024, 08:13:00 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 18, 2024, 07:51:32 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on February 18, 2024, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 18, 2024, 05:45:40 PMDublin were actually still probably the best team that year, but Mayo caught them on the hop, after years of been beat by them,then couldn't produce the same display after.

It's Kerry that should've won that all Ireland on the bridle. They left about 2-6 worth of easy scores behind against Tyrone and conceded 3 goals in an extra time loss

Nonsense. Tyrone were down to 14 for 20 minutes and visibly tired in the second half of extra time, allowing Kerry to get back within a point. People have an awful habit of overrating Kerry teams because of the name. It was a decent Kerry team but not a great one. The better team won that day.

Ultimately Tyrone had been knocking at the door for a few years but Dublin were well ahead and we were also hamstrung by an overly cautious approach. In 2021 they had a license to open up more, the Dubs had gone back a few levels, Mayo weren't the team who had pushed them so close, and Kerry were overrated. Tyrone were the best team.

In truth there was more in that team. McShane wasn't fully fit, Darragh was still very young and we hadn't quite worked out how best to employ McKenna. There were more gears. But they rightfully celebrated an unexpected AI and between that and sated ambitions, then injuries, retirals (and McKenna heading off), they never again got back on course before the team started to break up. And there's no crime in that.

I'm don't mean to diminish Tyrone, in the wider context of this discussion I actually think they were decent winners. McShane not starting and Tiernan McCann not even getting on the pitch are signs of a very strong squad overall. Morgan had a season of seasons, the midfield pair were excellent and their scoring efficiency in semi and final that year was superb

I don't think it changes the feeling though that Kerry completely threw it away that year. Simple goals not worked, extremely simple fisted points going wide, missing frees. All the while conceding very soft goals and the game was still a draw in normal time after all that. And the best player in the land couldn't play in ET remember

I don't think Kerry will mind all that much though in hindsight. Would they have brought in O'Connor and  Tally and set up the Tadgh Morley sweeper system that allowed them to win the following year had they got over the line in 21? Probably not

We're basically on the same page here but "completely threw it away" doesn't really cover that Kerry weren't quite good enough in 2021. You talk there about missing chances and conceding soft goals, among other things. The following year they addressed a few of the issues that were there in 2021 and were better all round. Similarly Tyrone had gone backwards drastically, Mayo hadn't kicked on, the Dubs were still refocusing for having another crack at it and the emerging teams like Galway and Derry weren't quite at it yet.

MC

I thought Tyrone are looking better than previous two years - although that doesn't say too much - a lot of players to come back in - but they will need a certain amount of luck for any sort of run this year. A lot of fresh faces employed in league games so far who are just about doing OK and will benefit from the exposure.
Galway something similar - a different team if they can get players back on the pitch - but cant be too optimistic for them this year either.
Dublin, Kerry and Derry look out on their own - just depends who comes up against who in latter stages of the Championship.

toby47

Quote from: Eire90 on February 19, 2024, 06:31:01 AMis cluxton officially retired.

He was part of the panel in Croke Park on Saturday evening