Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leftmidfield

Yes great goal by Davidson which was the only good thing he did in the game. One minute later CPN captain sent off & probably rightly so. If he had stayed on when they were in the ascendency I def think CPN would have won

befair

Felt sorry for the Point, just lacked discipline tonight They were competing well, and had just gone ahead with an absolutely superb goal when their midfielder received a really unnecessary 2nd yellow, tho the ref had no other option. After that it was just a matter of time.
Must be said that Kilcoo are not the force that they were, and they've lost some of their strongest players; even tonight, two of the Branagans (who when all 5 play are a formidable defensive unit) had to be substituted in the first half.

BTW once again we were subjected to deafening pop music during half-time (the same 3 songs as last night)

champion1981

silly challenge from boyle yes ,thought the ref was good tonight though he tried to let it flow for both sides! who would of got the man of the match? i seen big greenan and arron morgan sitting up in the stands tonight , if theyre fit for the final (to play apart) think the magpies will cherish a dog fight with burren and only see the result going 1 way

Mourne Rover

Leftmidfield is right as the Point could and probably should have won that game. An absolutely stunning goal from Davidson put them two up, at a stage when they were in control all over the pitch and looking like pulling off the upset of the decade in our championship. However, straight from the kick-up, Ryan Boyle, who was playing an influential role but already on a yellow, produced a crazy high tackle and was gone. Then D'Arcy saved a PD penalty at the other end and the Point defenders were still celebrating when Doherty put in the rebound. Kilcoo also benefitted from a series of generous calls from the referee, including the awarding of two crucial frees after wrongly ruling that CPN players had fouled the ball during passes. Burren will definitely have a big chance in the final on tonight's form. The watching Paddy Tally will not have seen too much to get him excited, although he would surely have noted the way in which Donal Hughes was hitting points from all angles during Bredagh's IFC win.

Leftmidfield

Quote from: champion1981 on September 29, 2018, 10:24:11 PM
silly challenge from boyle yes ,thought the ref was good tonight though he tried to let it flow for both sides! who would of got the man of the match? i seen big greenan and arron morgan sitting up in the stands tonight , if theyre fit for the final (to play apart) think the magpies will cherish a dog fight with burren and only see the result going 1 way
MOTM Ryan Mallon I say followed by Ryan Magee and John Boyle

champion1981

mourne rover the 2 calls on fouling the ball (1 cpn player fisted the ball and caught it himself before letting it bounce) (2 cpn player threw the ball)  think theyre both fouls! no8 for cpn was my man of the match, kilcoo goalkeeper had a good game, tally will have his work cut out for him thats for sure

One in All in

I thought the difference was 3 fold:

Kilcoo experience told eg. penalty rebound and cool heads to grind a result against what looked like a better team on the ball

Kilcoo scored their long range frees and 45s whereas Point didnt score any of theirs

Ref seemed to give Kilcoo benefit of doubt all night from over carrying in first half to suspect frees in the second

Burren will give it a serious rattle if they dominate the middle like R Mallon & J Boyle did tonight

Dubh driocht

Champion81 you make the same mistake as the ref(was it Ronan Barry? Names of refs not given in the programme). The CPN fullback made the handpass just before halftime, the Kilcoo player palmed it back and the fullback tried it again. A poor decision by a ref who made several poor decisions, nearly all in favour of Kilcoo. Laverty got a free in the second half that even Laverty didn't call for. The Magpies looked jaded and are carrying injuries so if Burren show balls, they can win. But we say that every year!

champion1981

dubh driocht,i think the ref made the right calls a throw ball and passing the ball to yourself  in the rule book is a foul! laverty in 2nd half got shoved in middle of the back which was silly from cpn player as laverty wasnt  going to get on the ball! hope its a good final for all that!

One in All in

Champion1981 - are you Ronan Barry?  :)

Ref made more than a few bad calls although Point didnt help themselves with indiscipline at times

champion1981

one in all in 😉how'd you guess! ok so the magpies didnt beat cpn it was ronan barry 🙈, but from what i have seen so far in dsfc the pick out of   it wouldnt get close to an ulster championship!

Mourne Rover

Champion1981 is right to suggest that the Down champions have at best an outside chance in the USC but completely wrong about the referee. All the marginal calls went to Kilcoo and everyone in our section of the stand thought the two calls over foul passes were ludicrous. In the first one, the excellent CPN full back, Murdoch, made a fist pass which was blocked and then caught the rebound. The result was a  converted free in front of the posts. In the second, the CPN corner forward made what looked like a clear fisted pass for an easy score only for a free out to be awarded. There is no dispute over the two red cards, which were obviously correct, but Kilcoo rode their luck all night. While another Down title is possible, both Johnstons and the rest of their forwards will have to improve significantly if they are to progress any further.

One in All in

Agree.

Kilcoo are a long way from their prime and whoever wins the final is unlikely to go far in Ulster

Says alot about Down football that they can still dominate year on year

Burrens best chance in years to topple them

elk

CPN missed their chance tonight very unfortunate Ryan Boyle being sent off as he was playing well but he made a mistake at a crucial time for the point,thought the stand out player on the pitch tonight was there no 8 Ryan Magee, obviously was frustrated when he got sent off

Dubh driocht

Mid Down Gael has called it fairly. Whatever we might think, Kilcoo have done brilliantly to maintain such consistency. The County Board seem to be promoting the half time kickabouts by children, so I watched a group of girls playing a game of ball retention and got some insight into the mentality within the club: superb.