Laythrum v Ros 22/5/2016

Started by Rossfan, May 03, 2016, 12:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: theyellowbus on May 23, 2016, 03:26:37 PM

I seen a man from Leitrim at the game yesterday with his three young sons who were all togged out in their native colours and i felt a wee bit of admiration as well as sadness for the young lads.
Its very hard to encourage lads like that to take up football and keep at it when you see your own county performing so poorly like yesterday.
I still think that all counties should be allowed their chances in the all Ireland series as i don't agree with these so called B championships or whatever they are.
The GAA at a higher level should be doing more to promote and help nurture a higher standard in so called weaker counties as there seems to be an acceptance of results like yesterday which happen around this time of year.
I was very disappointed with the Leitrim following yesterday as in fairness to them they are usually a lot more vocal than they were yesterday and i would say that their actual support was less than half of the attendance which for a home game is poor.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll actually enjoy playing the game?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

theyellowbus

Yeah starting off but what happens when they come to 16/17 and they might have a chance of maybe getting into a county set up and the training/commitment is something they haven't experienced before and the enjoyment factor begins to diminish.
Its very easy for a young lad to say F**k this sure we are going to get beat anyway.
I was watching highlights from the Munster minor championship last Saturday on TG4. Kerry V Clare and Cork v Limerick.
In both games it never looked like any other outcome only Kerry and Cork wins.
Cork actually gave Limerick an awful thumping.
While the pride of wearing your county jersey supersedes any other kind of pride a young lad playing football at that age has it surely goes out the window twenty mins to go in the second half of a game you have already been beat in twice over.
I firmly believe that the GAA hierarchy in this country are not doing enough to bridge gaps like that and seem to accept it as some kind of ritual which should happen anyway.

joemamas

Quote from: theyellowbus on May 23, 2016, 03:50:24 PM

Yeah starting off but what happens when they come to 16/17 and they might have a chance of maybe getting into a county set up and the training/commitment is something they haven't experienced before and the enjoyment factor begins to diminish.
Its very easy for a young lad to say F**k this sure we are going to get beat anyway.
I was watching highlights from the Munster minor championship last Saturday on TG4. Kerry V Clare and Cork v Limerick.
While the pride of wearing your county jersey supersedes any other kind of pride a young lad playing football at that age has it surely goes out the window twenty mins to go in the second half of a game you have already been beat in twice over.
I firmly believe that the GAA hierarchy in this country are not doing enough to bridge gaps like that and seem to accept it as some kind of ritual which should happen anyway.

Understatement of the year, why would they not do something simple like give 1-2k tickets to each county in div 3 and 4  to be given to u10 u12 u14 kids to go to the all-Ireland Q finals and or qualifier games on August bank holiday for a start. Dublin will not be playing until the following Saturday August 6th, so there will be 30-35k max on the Saturday July 30th and Sunday July 31st. It will be like a morgue.
Then no matter what the cost give the same counties 30-40 coaches, to work with all kids 8 and above. Do it on a basis of use them or lose them. If the counties don't use them for a two or three year period, then shame on them.
I don't have all the answers but given the potential divergence between the top divisions and the lower ones, this is only going to get worse.
As an aside, how the hell will the Leitrim, Derry, Antrim, wicklow, Carlow, (add probably Waterford and Limerick in next week)managers be able to keep any young fell under 22 or 23 around for another month to train to be sacrificial lambs to some other teams in the qualifiers. No insult meant to the teams named.

AQMP

Quote from: joemamas on May 23, 2016, 04:30:55 PM
Quote from: theyellowbus on May 23, 2016, 03:50:24 PM

Understatement of the year, why would they not do something simple like give 1-2k tickets to each county in div 3 and 4  to be given to u10 u12 u14 kids to go to the all-Ireland Q finals and or qualifier games on August bank holiday for a start. Dublin will not be playing until the following Saturday August 6th, so there will be 30-35k max on the Saturday July 30th and Sunday July 31st. It will be like a morgue.
Then no matter what the cost give the same counties 30-40 coaches, to work with all kids 8 and above. Do it on a basis of use them or lose them. If the counties don't use them for a two or three year period, then shame on them.
I don't have all the answers but given the potential divergence between the top divisions and the lower ones, this is only going to get worse.
As an aside, how the hell will the Leitrim, Derry, Antrim, wicklow, Carlow, (add probably Waterford and Limerick in next week)managers be able to keep any young fell under 22 or 23 around for another month to train to be sacrificial lambs to some other teams in the qualifiers. No insult meant to the teams named.

If I were a Derryman...ouch!!

Syferus

You know you're in dire trouble when we're hammering you in the summer.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on May 23, 2016, 05:15:57 PM
You know you're in dire trouble when we're hammering you in the summer.
You must be looking forward to this summer, Syf.
Ros have had a hard enough time over the last 15 years