Galway v Mayo, Preliminary Quarter-Final, Pearse Stadium 3pm Sunday

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2023, 06:27:19 PM
There is one thing you can't take for granted and that is building on a good previous year.
There is a lot of luck involved in getting to an AI final.
Galway have been as good, if not better than Mayo in their last two encounters.
But they have looked laboured and disjointed in trying to put Mayo to the sword.

Mayo are where they always end up, They know how to consistently get to these places.
But falter when the proper deal should be done.

Luck in needed in the quarter-final draw for Mayo progress further.
Luck needed? Who do you want, Armagh i assume?

From the Bunker

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2023, 06:53:14 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2023, 06:27:19 PM
There is one thing you can't take for granted and that is building on a good previous year.
There is a lot of luck involved in getting to an AI final.
Galway have been as good, if not better than Mayo in their last two encounters.
But they have looked laboured and disjointed in trying to put Mayo to the sword.

Mayo are where they always end up, They know how to consistently get to these places.
But falter when the proper deal should be done.

Luck in needed in the quarter-final draw for Mayo progress further.
Luck needed? Who do you want, Armagh i assume?

Armagh would do, they are behind Dublin and Derry, but only slightly.
This AI stuff is still new to them.
You always want to avoid the Dubs who are playing at home and know the score at AI competition level.

But mainly because I don't think this Mayo team are that great.

onefineday

Quote from: seafoid on June 25, 2023, 04:58:15 PM
Maybe what ails Walsh will be demystified.
I think it's simply that he has reverted to his norm. He has had one outstanding display on the national stage and a few glimpses here and there throughout his career. Outrageous display that day, but apart from that??

As I recall there weren't too many on here who even thought he'd get an all star ahead of AIF last year.

AustinPowers

Quote from: befair on June 25, 2023, 03:47:25 PM
Mayo poor, even allowing for the wind, bu they've surprised us before.
BTW, yet again, two teams with dark jerseys + white shorts.
More consideration needed for the elderly and visually-impaired, more contrast needed in the colours (esp without HD on RTE1)

Even with   HD it was very hard to  make out who  was who

From the Bunker

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 25, 2023, 08:18:50 PM
Quote from: befair on June 25, 2023, 03:47:25 PM
Mayo poor, even allowing for the wind, bu they've surprised us before.
BTW, yet again, two teams with dark jerseys + white shorts.
More consideration needed for the elderly and visually-impaired, more contrast needed in the colours (esp without HD on RTE1)

Even with   HD it was very hard to  make out who  was who

Yes there was a lot of guessing when player came out of a ruck of players with the ball.

Cunny Funt

Another fine margin contest the 3rd of the 4 preliminary Quarter finals this weekend.

Galway v Mayo was always going to be a low scoring match I felt, Galway haven't been scoring high against Div 1 teams all year and Mayo probably a little unsure about themselves after letting a healthy lead slip to Cork a week ago.  The team that did best and was most accurate with the wind advantage won and clearly in a game like that a goal was going to be key.  Interesting McStay said after the game that none of his late changes was injury related and that 3 of his late changes was because of the wind, O'Hora out with an Illness and needed players with the most energy on the field for the 2nd half.

Galway messed up the most last week by not topping the group but reaching the AI final last year and not even reaching the last 8 now is a big regression. Mayo of 2013 to 2017 would have loved the schedule ahead of them but I'm less sure about the current crop though a win next weekend would be achievement in itself when you take into account it will be their 3rd game in 14 days and up against a rested Armagh,Derry or Dublin.

Rudi

Feel sorry for Galway had a 100 percent record, prior to last weekend. Beaten by a mediocre Armagh team who were having a poor year. Really should have gotten a result in Carrick. Should have had the feet up this weekend, looking at potential opposition for next weekend.  Instead Mayo were knocking them out in the worst venue for football in the country. Galway are to good to be out at this stage.
I cant see Monaghan or Armagh making much of an impact. Tyrone dark horses, came within an inch of being knocked out by Westmeath. Decent even enough championship ahead, the winners this weekend should get an extra week to recover. Really interesting to see how Cork get on. They dont have to many stars, but look very fresh.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 25, 2023, 09:51:30 PM
Another fine margin contest the 3rd of the 4 preliminary Quarter finals this weekend.

Galway v Mayo was always going to be a low scoring match I felt, Galway haven't been scoring high against Div 1 teams all year and Mayo probably a little unsure about themselves after letting a healthy lead slip to Cork a week ago.  The team that did best and was most accurate with the wind advantage won and clearly in a game like that a goal was going to be key.  Interesting McStay said after the game that none of his late changes was injury related and that 3 of his late changes was because of the wind, O'Hora out with an Illness and needed players with the most energy on the field for the 2nd half.

Galway messed up the most last week by not topping the group but reaching the AI final last year and not even reaching the last 8 now is a big regression. Mayo of 2013 to 2017 would have loved the schedule ahead of them but I'm less sure about the current crop though a win next weekend would be achievement in itself when you take into account it will be their 3rd game in 14 days and up against a rested Armagh,Derry or Dublin.

Galway and Mayo messed up. Mayo winning today means the have another week to rectify the mess they have got into. But they'll have knocks, bruises and injuries. They'll also be less fresher than their opponents and this will tell in the closing stages next week.

They have also done the Dubs and Kerry a favour by knocking out a major threat to their season.

iorras

I think Mayo have the best panel of all of the teams left, problem is management just dont seem to know how to use them properly.
Have the best management team left as well, see above

I think Dublin might be the best draw for Mayo, two things for sure, cant handle any sort of blanket and cant handle being favourites against an underdog and based on the odds would be favourite versus Armagh or Derry, who will both

If Mayo get Derry then I think Derry have a great chance, I think Mayo will get Derry, just a feeling.

And on the Ryan O'Donoghue furor, you cant see him actually make contact with anything so if thats some sort of ban then its going to be CCCC and the high court a la Dublin and the peak Diarmuid Connolly days.
People losing their shit on social media on it, its turned into a "stamp" now apparently, mainly because of Parkinsons leading comment posting the tweet.
We dont do this sort of thing in GAA despite lads getting thumps and belts in the opening moments of championship matches week in and week out up and down the country.

highorlow

At some stage in the match, not sure when, McDaid did something similar to AOS, exact same as the ROD incident, hopefully someone can dig that one out to even up things. In any case Putting that shite up
On Twitter is childish, always looks worse in slow motion, it was handbags
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

fearsiuil

Happened right in front of us. Seán Kelly was roughing up the smaller lighter Enda Hession before start of 2nd half, O'Donoghue goes in to make life a bit more awkward for Kelly as his team mate getting the bully treatment. Kelly was fine.

Hound

I really enjoyed the game, thought Mayo a tad fortunate to get over the line, but as a Dub I'd definitely fear them more than Galway, especially with injuries. Highlight of the match was Cillian's point with his first touch. He may be a little over the hill now, but still top class and while a part of me would hate to see him win Sam, I also believe he fully deserves a Celtic cross.

Paddy Durcan is awesome. Bar scoring forwards, he is the best player in the country, or as the yanks might say, the best half back in the world!

Wildweasel74

Don't understand this pulling and dragged crap before each half, zero point in it. Another thing the ref should be calling fouls on players blocking of men contesting a clean throw up.at the start of each half. Finally, there too much cheating going on in Gaelic football. Don't know how any them lads could associate with each at events like the all_stars, how u respect a player lying down trying get you send off or some particular insults in a game.

highorlow

Quotethought Mayo a tad fortunate to get over the line,

100% if Tierney (I think) got the goal, (great save again by Reape) then we were dust again. We got Galway at a great time (unfortunate for them to be fair) and even at that their star performers didn't perform.

We have loads of improvement needed to win next weekend, no matter how the draw goes.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go