AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2015, 12:07:35 AM
Quote from: Canalman on September 05, 2015, 11:55:06 PM
Commisserations to all Mayo posters on here. Can only imagine how hard it was to have the elation of last week's finish turned about face today.

Without benefit of watching game again I thought Brian Fenton was excellent. MDMA turned game on its head in the second half imo.

Mayo will rue that chance dropped into Cluxton's hands when I think 4 up.

Also I have to praise Cluxton on his strength of character today. Excellent today imo.

Why did Cluxton hold his face though after the O'Connor challenge?

He got slapped in the face. Don't think there was any play acting going on.

mc_grens

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 08:35:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2015, 08:27:22 PM
Quote from: maigheo on September 05, 2015, 08:18:25 PM
Well done Dublin.Deserving winners today .Syferus ,would you ever fu-ck off in pushing your McStay agenda .Now is not the time

It's a fair point. Mayo may have made the wrong choice last Autumn. Tactics today were brutal. No real push on Cluxton's kickouts to exploit Dublin's weak middle, no ideas past kicking it to AOS. Caught on the Dublin 45 so often. Management had a whole match last week to think around those things and they seemed to arrive with very little different today.

Also thought Aslan were class. Great to see Christy Dignam in fine form.

After 53 minutes Syferus it looked like a good plan to me. Have you ever managed anyone?

Because with the best will in the world and the best plans- when a team hits you for 2 goals in 4 minutes there ain't much you can do about it on the sideline. It's not Football Manager you know.

Mayo players have to take some level of responsibility. It's the same bloody mistakes every year. And also lads like Aidan O Se need to turn up on big days too and not just against Sligo. They'd drive you to being an alcoholic

There was a lot of people saying by half time that they couldn't believe Mayo had learned nothing from the previous week Indiana. I thought that their plan was poor up to that point, and had been bailed out by some great long range score taking.

Also the Philly McMahon chance where he had 15m space in all directions was warning that the defensive set up up the middle was faulty.

Personally I thought Dublin were beginning to turn the game before Mayos goal, then the substitutes accelerated that. I thought Mayos management reacted very poorly to Seamy O'Shea's departure.

Mayo4Sam14

Why was Kevin McLoughlin left on until the last minute? Can't understand any of the substitutions made
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

ashman

Have to say jim galvin allowing phil McMahon to bomb forward was a smart move. AOS can't travel on that scale and mayo were exposed.

The quality of ball in to AOS was atrocious and easily read. 

Another thing is that Keith Higgins is too pure a footballer for corner back.

Dublin will win final by their sheet athleticism. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 06, 2015, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2015, 12:07:35 AM
Quote from: Canalman on September 05, 2015, 11:55:06 PM
Commisserations to all Mayo posters on here. Can only imagine how hard it was to have the elation of last week's finish turned about face today.

Without benefit of watching game again I thought Brian Fenton was excellent. MDMA turned game on its head in the second half imo.

Mayo will rue that chance dropped into Cluxton's hands when I think 4 up.

Also I have to praise Cluxton on his strength of character today. Excellent today imo.

Why did Cluxton hold his face though after the O'Connor challenge?

He got slapped in the face. Don't think there was any play acting going on.

Didn't see any contact on his face in fairness, hate play acting.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: AMayoFan on September 06, 2015, 08:53:27 AM
Absolutely no complaints with yesterday loss ... Beaten by a better team on the day. On a lighter note, & off the ball, I saw Keegan pick of the ground and hand Connolly his drink. Just thought it was a nice gesture and for all the up roar with last week, it shows no hard feelings.

Before the ball was thrown in to start the game Connolly and Keegan exchanged handshakes. It was good to see and it set the tone of the tussle between them for the rest of the game.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

dferg

The Mayo goalkeeper made a mistake tying his laces before the first goal. It all seemed rushed then he hit the kickout with 1 glove under his arm which meant he was off balance and didn't kick the ball as far as he would have wanted. He should have either waited till the ball was at the other end of the pitch and tied his laces or took his time and got both gloves on.

gallsman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 06, 2015, 12:20:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2015, 11:40:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 11:31:06 PM
Quote from: The Trap on September 05, 2015, 11:21:52 PM
Someone said that O'connor was like McManus of Monaghan........not even close as McManus is a massive threat from play and O'connor simply isn't............great free taker and good footballer O'connor and vital to the team but not a match winning forward.......

I thought that was O Connors best game for Mayo . And in fairness I can't stand him

It was Diarmuid O'Connor's best day alright. Far from Cillian O'Connor's though.
The young fella is some find alright.. one of the few positives to turn up this season. Cillian continues to perplex me. He has most of the attributes it takes to turn a good player into a great one but his tendency to get involved in scuffles and his lack of pace holds him back. The brother, by contrast, is nippy and to appears able to keep a cool head. For my money, he will be a better asset to Mayo than his big bro is at the moment.

I haven't watched much football this year (because really, it's a load of shite) but over the two games, what I noticed most about DOC was an ability to attack players head on, ride the challenge and come out the other side of it. Nothing flashy, just very composed. Think he looks a cracking player.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: straightred on September 05, 2015, 07:56:17 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 05, 2015, 07:21:01 PM
Cillian O'CONNOR found out today. Can kick frees from anywhere, but in open  play not a real top class forward. Mayo forwards in the 2nd half were as rubbish as they were the 1st day. Only difference no ref to give them easy frees. Once dubs stopped fouling Mayo forwards shown up for the poor finishers they are. Dubs subs made a huge difference. McManamon with another moment of magic. Mayo didn't have a forward who could do the same.

that's really harsh. If you ever played the game or done a bit of coaching you'd know he's one of the top forwards in the country. If he got found out then what have to say about dean rock who had a far stronger supporting cast around him but for the 2nd week in a row went missing. O Connor is a bit like Conor Mcmanus - he carries a far bigger workload than he should have to.

O'Connor is nothing like McManus, that's an insult to McManus who is targeted and has plans to the nth degree from opposition managers to stop him playing. Monaghan rarely win when McManus is kept quiet. Mayo have regularly won before when O'Connor has offered nothing from open play. I don't think you'll ever see that much of a plan from opposition managers to stop O'Connor, he's just not much of a threat from open play, a good finisher yes but not a guy whose going to cause problems if his team are struggling.

I think you look at what O'Connor did yesterday and you see a good point in the first half, he scored a goal where it should have been disallowed as he fouled the ball when one-on-one with the keeper and very little else from open play.

seafoid

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 06, 2015, 09:48:41 AM
Why was Kevin McLoughlin left on until the last minute? Can't understand any of the substitutions made
Good question.Very poor forward when they needed to score.

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2015, 10:50:45 AM

He goes missing a lot. Jason Doherty too.

beer baron

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2015, 10:50:45 AM

Agreed,decent player but not a forward.

seafoid

AMayoFan

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 06, 2015, 10:31:27 AM
Quote from: AMayoFan on September 06, 2015, 08:53:27 AM
Absolutely no complaints with yesterday loss ... Beaten by a better team on the day. On a lighter note, & off the ball, I saw Keegan pick of the ground and hand Connolly his drink. Just thought it was a nice gesture and for all the up roar with last week, it shows no hard feelings.

Before the ball was thrown in to start the game Connolly and Keegan exchanged handshakes. It was good to see and it set the tone of the tussle between them for the rest of the game.

Ah great stuff. 

ballinaman

I think we really take a look at ourselves now. Coaching structures are a mess in Mayo. No continuity at all. Need to get players into coaching instead of the media. Keep making the same mistakes year in year out. County board are much more on the ball than they were but still massive worked needed.