AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Jinxy

Mayo kicked some seriously aimless ball into the FF line.
Very frustrating to watch.
Kicked some great long range scores in the first half but as Dublin found out against Donegal last year, you'll only get so many of them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo4Sam14

Robbie Hennelly lost the head a bit, I can't understand some of the subs and McLoughlin was terrible - congratulations to Dublin, they were the better team and deserved to win

straightred

Quote from: dublin7 on September 05, 2015, 07:21:01 PM
Cillian O'CONNOR found out today. Can kick frees from anywhere, but in open  play not a real top class forward. Mayo forwards in the 2nd half were as rubbish as they were the 1st day. Only difference no ref to give them easy frees. Once dubs stopped fouling Mayo forwards shown up for the poor finishers they are. Dubs subs made a huge difference. McManamon with another moment of magic. Mayo didn't have a forward who could do the same.

that's really harsh. If you ever played the game or done a bit of coaching you'd know he's one of the top forwards in the country. If he got found out then what have to say about dean rock who had a far stronger supporting cast around him but for the 2nd week in a row went missing. O Connor is a bit like Conor Mcmanus - he carries a far bigger workload than he should have to.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 07:50:02 PM
Very fortunate Dublin win in the end. Mayo outplayed us for the first 55 minutes.

lee Keegan had an opportunity to put them 5 up. If he kicks that we aren't coming back. Small margins.

Backs were largely destroyed outside Mc Carthy and Philly who had O Se in his pocket.

Flynn is way off the pace. Rock not up to it and Bastick is a 20 minute man.

Fenton was brilliant I thought and Andrews was out of this world ably assisted by kilkenny.

Connolly shouldn't have played really was anonymous- I think the booing every time he touched the ball was a bit much.

Alan Brogan was outstanding as was Kev Mac when they came on. MDMA did better too.

Mayo just don't have the composure for some reason. The players are there but it's a question of whether they can make real time good decisions when the game is in the melting pot because they had that game won. I feel for their fans its rough going falling marginally short every year. But they have to improve on that.

I don't know whether having people associated with 1996 is good on the sideline. I think Mayo need someone like Pat Gilroy- someone of that ilk.

As regards the final. I can't see us winning it. Kerry have too many answers in too many positions. So that should will ensure some level of equilibrium is kept around the country.

we don't have the forwards

Mayo4Sam14

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 05, 2015, 07:59:05 PM
Very fortunate Dublin win in the end. Mayo outplayed us for the first 55 minutes.

lee Keegan had an opportunity to put them 5 up. If he kicks that we aren't coming back. Small margins.

Backs were largely destroyed outside Mc Carthy and Philly who had O Se in his pocket.

Fenton was brilliant I thought and Andrews was out of this world ably assisted by kilkenny.

Connolly shouldn't have played really was anonymous- I think the booing every time he touched the ball was a bit much.

Alan Brogan was outstanding as was Kev Mac when they came on. MDMA did better too.

Mayo just don't have the composure for some reason. The players are there but it's a question of whether they can make real time good decisions when the game is in the melting pot because they had that game won. I feel for their fans its rough going falling marginally short every year. But they have to improve on that.

I don't know whether having people associated with 1996 is good on the sideline. I think Mayo need someone like Pat Gilroy- someone of that ilk.

As regards the final. I can't see us winning it. Kerry have too many answers in too many positions. So that should will ensure some level of equilibrium is kept around the country.

Nah. You don't have a plan. Once AOS at FF didn't work the players couldn't adapt. I'd put that on management as much as not having forwards. Anyone can kick the ball over the bar if the build up play is good - Mayo's was really poor today.

INDIANA

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 05, 2015, 07:59:05 PM

You had them for 55 mins. Fenton got straight down the middle for two goals . Same as last week. Small margins

maigheo

Well done Dublin.Deserving winners today .Syferus ,would you ever fu-ck off in pushing your McStay agenda .Now is not the time

ballinaman

Well done Dublin. Kicked on when it mattered in contrast to us after Cillian goal. Will see how I feel after 15 pints of powtaar tonight....

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on September 05, 2015, 08:18:25 PM
Well done Dublin.Deserving winners today .Syferus ,would you ever fu-ck off in pushing your McStay agenda .Now is not the time

It's a fair point. Mayo may have made the wrong choice last Autumn. Tactics today were brutal. No real push on Cluxton's kickouts to exploit Dublin's weak middle, no ideas past kicking it to AOS. Caught on the Dublin 45 so often. Management had a whole match last week to think around those things and they seemed to arrive with very little different today.

Also thought Aslan were class. Great to see Christy Dignam in fine form.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: dublin7 on September 05, 2015, 07:21:01 PM
Cillian O'CONNOR found out today. Can kick frees from anywhere, but in open  play not a real top class forward. Mayo forwards in the 2nd half were as rubbish as they were the 1st day. Only difference no ref to give them easy frees. Once dubs stopped fouling Mayo forwards shown up for the poor finishers they are. Dubs subs made a huge difference. McManamon with another moment of magic. Mayo didn't have a forward who could do the same.
1-15 compared to 1-14 today and Mayo managed to score more from play in the replay. What let them down was defensively 3-15 is too much and Kerry are unlikely to concede as much in the final.

giveballaghback

Mayo have got to 5 semi in a row but their record from there has been very poor, played 9 games, won 2 drew 2 and lost 5, just not good enough for this level and have no young players coming on. There was a consensus of opinion this year that the placing of AoS at full forward was a master stroke but anyone following the game in Connaught has seen him tried there many times at underage etc and the best you could say about him in that position is that he is a mullicker, the proverbial bull in a china shop, too predictable and easily marked, the penny will drop at last for Mayo, no point wasting money on that team,
where do they go from here? right back into the pack i suspect.

Beard

Thought MD McAuley was outstanding today when he come on. I wonder if he hadn't been black carded last week would Mayo have been able to force a replay.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2015, 08:27:22 PM
Quote from: maigheo on September 05, 2015, 08:18:25 PM

It's a fair point. Mayo may have made the wrong choice last Autumn. Tactics today were brutal. No real push on Cluxton's kickouts to exploit Dublin's weak middle, no ideas past kicking it to AOS. Caught on the Dublin 45 so often. Management had a whole match last week to think around those things and they seemed to arrive with very little different today.

Also thought Aslan were class. Great to see Christy Dignam in fine form.

After 53 minutes Syferus it looked like a good plan to me. Have you ever managed anyone?

Because with the best will in the world and the best plans- when a team hits you for 2 goals in 4 minutes there ain't much you can do about it on the sideline. It's not Football Manager you know.

Mayo players have to take some level of responsibility. It's the same bloody mistakes every year. And also lads like Aidan O Se need to turn up on big days too and not just against Sligo. They'd drive you to being an alcoholic