Most Dominant Champion

Started by ONeill, August 07, 2014, 11:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on August 08, 2014, 12:34:53 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 08, 2014, 12:21:31 AM
Please remove any mention of WWE from a sports thread.

Bow wow Tony them guys go through hell for that sport, not to mention 3 weekly TV shows but at least 2-3 house shows. undertaker has every right to be up there. its about the only sport not run by the Asian blackmarket  8)

"Man, I thought Ultimate Robot Fighting was real, like pro wrestling, but it turns out it's fixed, like boxing."

bennydorano

Ah, best show ever, still churning out high quality episodes too.

grounded

Fangio in the mid 50's was virtually unbeatable. 

Aerlik

Collingwood in the VFL/AFL.  No team has been hated by so many for so long.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Sidney

Red Auerbach's Boston Celtics in the 1950s and 1960s deserve a mention.

AZOffaly

If your going down team sports, then UCLA Bruins and their basketball success under John Wooden need to be mentioned. Won 10 NCAA Championships from 1964 to 1975, including 7 in a row from 1967 to 1973. Bear in mind college teams can only be together for 4 years max, this is some achievement from Wooden.

cockahoop

Hardy

Vincent O'Brien the Irishman who most dominated his sport. Dominated one version of it, then took up another and dominated that.
Arkle (they had to re-calibrate the sport to give others a chance against him).
Bob Beamon's world record stood for nearly 23 years.
I never missed a penalty in soccer.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on August 08, 2014, 05:27:21 PM
Vincent O'Brien the Irishman who most dominated his sport. Dominated one version of it, then took up another and dominated that.

Gary Kasparov.
I never missed a penalty in hurling, hockey or rugby.

MWWSI 2017

mc_grens

Quote from: Sidney on August 08, 2014, 03:06:37 PM
Red Auerbach's Boston Celtics in the 1950s and 1960s deserve a mention.

I think even Auerbach would admit that "Bill Russell's Boston Celtics" is more apt- 11 titles in 13 years, with his last 2 (I think) coming as player-coach.

Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls' 6 in 6 full seasons (broken by his first retirement), and the fact that he never lost in the NBA Finals deserves a mention.

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2014, 06:04:20 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 08, 2014, 05:27:21 PM

Gary Kasparov.
I never missed a penalty in hurling, hockey or rugby.
Meh...I kept Henry Shefflin scoreless in a match once.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Ulick

Paul Brady - 4 world titles in a row...

Brady Summary:

Regarded by the majority of his peers as being the greatest handball player to ever play, Paul Brady is already a living legend. Brady has won every USHA 4-Wall pro singles nationals in which he has entered since 2005 (8), all four open singles world championships held since 2003, every 40×20 All-Ireland Senior Championship in which he has entered since 2004 and both WPH Race 4 Eight Stops he has entered since 2012. Brady possesses the ability to completely dominate the field, as he has proven on multiple occasions by winning championships without ever allowing any of his opponents to score more than nine points in any game in the event. Brady has also proven to be able to win the closest matches, defeating Tony Healy 11-9 in the tiebreaker to win the 2008 USHA 4-Wall national championship and defeating Sean Lenning 11-10 in the tiebreaker to win the 2007 Simple Green U.S. Open. Brady shows no sign of slowing down at 34 and could continue to dominate the sport for the next decade. Brady is regarded for not only being the greatest shot maker in the game but also the fittest and most mentally strong player in the sport.

Titles:

10 All Ireland Senior Singles (9 in a row); 6 All Ireland Senior Doubles
7 US National Singles; 1 US National Doubles
4 Open World Singles; 1 World Open Doubles
4 US Open Titles; Ultimate Handball Showdown Winner

2009, Brady wins the All Ireland Singles/doubles and Irish National Titles, US Nationals and World Championship.

93-DY-SAM

Has to be AP McCoy by a mile. 4000+ winners and 19 times champion jockey. Add into that the injuries and punishment he's taken plus his constant battle to maintain his weight and to dominate his sport for over 20 years in an unbelievable achievement in anyone's book.

glens abu

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on August 08, 2014, 11:19:04 PM
Has to be AP McCoy by a mile. 4000+ winners and 19 times champion jockey. Add into that the injuries and punishment he's taken plus his constant battle to maintain his weight and to dominate his sport for over 20 years in an unbelievable achievement in anyone's book.

+1