Connacht Senior Championship 2018

Started by Rossfan, May 02, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2018, 10:00:26 AM
We're all off to Carrick on the 26th of May.
I hear the game us at the daft time of 5 30 to accommodate some TV soccery sh1te!!!
What's wrong with having it on a Sunday??

By the way what did NY ever do to annoy our eejit?

Rossfan, Thank you.

The village idiot is alive and well.
To call people who had to emigrate to find work mercenaries just beggars belief, even for him.
I wonder what the Thousands of genuine Roscommon GAA folk who left Ireland over the past fifty years to settle in NY would think of that comment.

spuds

Delighted for Leitrim. Anyone calling on them to be embarrassed should do bit of research into the struggles a county like Leitrim has to hold onto it's young people.

Now for them to tear into the mighty Rossies.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

joemamas

Now onto the football.

I was at the game, Gaelic park was absolutely packed. It truly is a great day for, Irish immigrants and Irish-American gaelic football supporters to catch up with each other at least once a year.

NY were the better team over the hour and a half, their inexperience and lack of match practice cost them when they went three up with seven minutes to go. Some of their players got caught in possession during that period and coughed it up resulting in scores for Leitrim.
NY had a chance to go two up with less than a minute to go in extra time, kicked it wide.
Leitrim equalized from the kick out and then scored from NY's kickout. NY had a very good last chance 30-35 yards out little to the right of goals kicked wide from play, end of game.

For a team that plays two or three competitive games in a year and that logistically is challenged with getting players to train due to "real" work schedules, and proximity, it was a magnificent effort.

When NY went three up and won the next kick-out, I said to myself "that's is, history will be made today", next thought was firstly one of feeling bad for all the Leitrim people who live in NY, who have put a lot of effort into keeping that club alive in NY for past 50 years, it would hurt them no end. Second thought was how negative this would be for the Leitrim team itself, it would probably put them back 3-5 years.

Reflecting back today, maybe, just maybe it would take something like a NY win to happen, to shake up the GAA and the provincial councils to shit or get of the pot and acknowledge that;

1. Inter-county football is not on a level playing field. The GAA better pump money into coaching every U8 to U18 footballer in all counties in Div 3 and Div 4, and they better do it immediately.

2. Stop being delusional that teams in Div 3 and Div 4 have any chance in the current environment of "winning" an All-Ireland.

it should be a tiered competition full-stop.

Reality from yesterday, Leitrim are not a very good team, some of their kicking was just very poor, at least eight maybe more shots were kicked comfortably into the NY's goalkeepers hands. They tried hard, but man for man NY were probably the better team.

I am sure all the negativity/reality from the early stages of this year's championship will be forgotten about come the second week in July, but whoever submits to the view that we should have one size fits all, has an ulterior motive, be it power or financial, that is the Q.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: joemamas on May 07, 2018, 02:16:34 PM
Stop being delusional that teams in Div 3 and Div 4 have any chance in the current environment of "winning" an All-Ireland.
The idea of Div 3 and Div 4 in the All Ireland championship is not to win but to take part, to have their day in the sun and for some a unexpected run that will leave lasting memories. A 2nd tier or B Championship will not appeal to many of the lesser counties the way the All Ireland championship does.

A tiered competition is already in place in the GAA where Div 3 and Div 4 can improve in time its called the NFL and the GAA top brass should be looking at ways to raise the profile and importance of that competition.

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on May 07, 2018, 01:42:18 PM
I hear the game us at the daft time of 5 30 to accommodate some TV soccery sh1te!!!

Rossfan, Thank you.

To call people who had to emigrate to find work mercenaries just beggars belief, even for him.
I wonder what the Thousands of genuine Roscommon GAA folk who left Ireland over the past fifty years to settle in NY would think of that comment.

It must be fun living in a world where you can make up your own version of reality.

Some of the people on that team left jobs to go to New York for the summer.. village idiot would be right. Some of ye are too quick to talk about Connacht football without knowing your facts.

You might want to update what your image of what Ireland is from forty years ago because emigration, particularly to a place like NYC, no longer means the same thing it once did. These are not people desperate for a job going over, rather they're mostly college-educated and fully capable of working at home. Going to New York is less an experience akin to a famine ship and more an adventure in that context.

Rossfan

That last sentence sums you up perfectly Syfīn  :D :D ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: joemamas on May 07, 2018, 01:42:18 PM

Rossfan, Thank you.

Much like all the roscommon people on this board they would think it the comment of an imbecile.

Itchy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 07, 2018, 02:55:16 PM
Stop being delusional that teams in Div 3 and Div 4 have any chance in the current environment of "winning" an All-Ireland.
The idea of Div 3 and Div 4 in the All Ireland championship is not to win but to take part, to have their day in the sun and for some a unexpected run that will leave lasting memories. A 2nd tier or B Championship will not appeal to many of the lesser counties the way the All Ireland championship does.

A tiered competition is already in place in the GAA where Div 3 and Div 4 can improve in time its called the NFL and the GAA top brass should be looking at ways to raise the profile and importance of that competition.
I don't get that attitude. It's like a club preferring to play in the senior championship and get the shite bet out of them rather than win the junior championship. The later would inspire kids and coaches the former will turn people away. The key is to market such a B competition properly. Any tv deal must include televising X amount if games from the B championship. Final must be in before all Ireland final instead of minors. You telling me players from leitrim and Carlow wouldn't want that

joemamas

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2018, 03:54:12 PM

I don't get that attitude. It's like a club preferring to play in the senior championship and get the shite bet out of them rather than win the junior championship. The later would inspire kids and coaches the former will turn people away. The key is to market such a B competition properly. Any tv deal must include televising X amount if games from the B championship. Final must be in before all Ireland final instead of minors. You telling me players from leitrim and Carlow wouldn't want that

Agree 100% on all points.

Cunny Funt

In reality any football B competition would probably be as poorly marketed as the Hurling B,C and D championship competitions currently are. Even more players from the lesser football counties will probably stick to club football then and the supporters of those counties would have less interest also. Yesterday almost five per cent of the population of Leitrim travelled to the Big Apple to cheer them on which for a first round game shows the interest there is for a championship match.

Syferus

You talk about marketing a competition with an entirely straight face the same week RTÉ cut a bunch of competitive senior championship ties for Super 8 coverage. Wow.

People do not care about B competition whether they're televised or not.

Itchy

That's why I said it should be written into contract. For example if sky want to buy 2 quarter final and 2 semi finals they must pay x and also televise b champ games x,y,z.

Anyone in a business will be aware of the notion that, for example in medical devices, company's obviously want the big volumes of the big sellers but governments will force them to tender on a package which will contain a few odd balls. So no odd balls no big sellers either. It's down to the GAA to cut up their product like this and force sky and Rte to play ball. It's not rocket science.

Or I suppose we could pretend watching Dublin in second gear destroy Wicklow is great viewing.

Rossfan

What if yesterday's game in NY had been the All Ireland Junior Semi Final.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

First of all where do we draw the line on who qualifies for the B championship?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2018, 06:42:53 PM
First of all where do we draw the line on who qualifies for the B championship?

Id do it be league placing. Div3/4 in B