Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Manny Pacquiao only wished Mayweather fought this way against him, Mayweather worked out very quick McGregor could not hurt him and changed his style and came forward respectively, so i wouldn't pay much heed to punch stats especially when most were taps

Wildweasel74

I would say it a brutal way to go 50-0 surpassing Rocky Marciano, but its widely accepted he himself got beat over in England in a fight probably an exhibition,way back near the start. Rocky Marciano by all accounts was a gentlemen, Mayweather only worried about himself and his money.

CiKe

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2017, 01:24:26 PM
I would say it a brutal way to go 50-0 surpassing Rocky Marciano, but its widely accepted he himself got beat over in England in a fight probably an exhibition,way back near the start. Rocky Marciano by all accounts was a gentlemen, Mayweather only worried about himself and his money.

Mayweather could have gone 50-0 two years ago if he wanted that record but sufficient money not on the table for anyone else. He doesn't care about 50-0 per se.

CiKe

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on August 27, 2017, 12:07:41 PM
McGregor did as well as he could have. 

In terms of anyone criticising for not pacing himself I think that's a bit harsh.  The guy has never had a pro boxing fight.  Boxers that go pro (even if they've got an extensive amateur fight background) would never go into a 12 rounder for their first fight. Usually starting off with a four rounder and building up to 12 over over four or five fights.

McGregor's biggest achievement was talking himself into getting a shot.

Mayweather eclipsing Marciano's record will always be a bit tainted for me.  Not a great way to achieve the record for him against a guy in his first pro fight but he is never going to turn down an easy lucrative pay day.

There was a bit of an outcry from many in the media about pros going in against amateurs for the Olympics on the basis it would be a mismatch.  Never was the same outcry about this one, McGregor was able to get the same people to overlook that by convincing many that he had a chance.  Fair play to him.

I'm not criticising him for not pacing himself rather for not having the stamina to go  anywhere near 12 rounds. Not sure is harsh, there was all this talk about what a dedicated trainer he was, never seen anyone work so hard, forensic in his attention to detail etc.

Turns out that would appear to be complete bullshit (or hype, whatever way you want to look at it) and I don't buy the argument that new pros build through 4,6,8 round fights etc. While true MCGregor has 20 + pro fights and should be in his prime.

gallsman

The man has his name on a $300 conditioning program. He started blowing heavily at the end of the second and was visibly tiring in the third. Whatever about criticising pacing, that is disgracefully early to be gassing out for an elite athlete like him.

BennyHarp

What with the Tyrone game yesterday I haven't had time to think about this fight. Having only watched it live and not any reruns yer, my opinion was that McGregor looked way out of his depth. He did ok in rounds 1-3 but it was clear that Mayweather was letting him punch himself out, bar one uppercut, there was very little damage done on Mayweather. For me, from round 4 onwards it was one way traffic. Fair play to McGregor for sticking at it but he looked clumsy, his jab was feeble, he had no power left to throw the left hand and had no ability to tie Mayweather up in a clinch to buy himself some time. Perhaps he should have went down in round 10 to buy himself 10 seconds and who knows he might have seen out the fight but there's was only ever one winner.
That was never a square ball!!

Hectic

Some of you guys really need to give it up. McGregor managed to con a fortune convincing people he could give Mayweather a fight. I watched it this morning ajd Mayweather could not have been more comfortable. Even the first two rounds that McGregor won Mayweather was fully in control of the situation. McGregor is a great show man but a boxer? Away and lie down. He never stood a chance and it was more one sided than the predictions.

yellowcard

McGregor looked no more a boxer than Big Daddy. Done alright for a couple of rounds but it was just a big pantomime and both he and Mayweather have the last laugh hoodwinking viewers into thinking this was anything but a con job.

The Iceman

FMW fought a different fight. He wanted to make a show of CMG. He didn't fight his normal defensive style of boxing - he openly admitted this. It wasn't much of a risk either bar a split second where that uppercut might have hurt him... he took more punches because he could. Taking more punches made it a scrap, made it more entertaining. He was in cruise control. He's still a bollox but.

CMG talked his way into the biggest fight of the year. There is so many great fights coming up within weeks and the world doesn't care because FMW and CMG stole the limelight. I paid for the PPV. I think he deserved it. HE's a great fighter, a great self-promoter and a great showman. His name is known all over the world and I'm proud of him.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Medic

All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

gallsman

Yeah we'll see what the true number is soon enough. I wouldn't trust Dana's word at. 6.5 would be absolutely enormous. He's possibly referring to a global number.

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2017, 01:42:26 PM
Yeah we'll see what the true number is soon enough. I wouldn't trust Dana's word at. 6.5 would be absolutely enormous. He's possibly referring to a global number.

ESPN saying that it did just over 4m, a good bit behind the 4.6m record for MayPac.

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on September 02, 2017, 09:33:41 AM
Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2017, 01:42:26 PM

ESPN saying that it did just over 4m, a good bit behind the 4.6m record for MayPac.

Regardless of whether it's 4m or 6.5m it surely ranks as the biggest sporting con job of people of all time.

gallsman

I'm not sure it was a con - 99% of people knew what they were buying!

AZOffaly

Con job. Did you see that lad on the late late? Crazy talk.